Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I bought an EV through Tusker cars and got a "free" charger via ChargedEV.

My house burned down recently and a new electricity cabinet was built (100A fuse), with a thick mains cable buried deep, going to the garage where it splits to the Garage customer unit and the house. Pictures are attached.

cabinet:

RCD 100A

Main switch 100A (just before the big thick black cable going to the garage, underground)

Garage: mains cable arriving into splitter

Splitter box open - my electrician told me that an EV charger could be fitted here?

I have been exchanging emails with them for the past 6 months and they now say that:

"I have had them look through the images to see what we can do and unfortunately the current supply cannot be used for an installation. The reason for this is because of the type of protection that the circuits provide is not adequate for a charging point.

The only way that the install can go ahead at the moment is if a trench is dug from the outside cabinet to the garage so that a new cable can be ran.

This trench needs to be at least 450mm deep and have a piece of ducting with a pull through cord inside and is unfortunately not something that our engineers can undertake."

That seems crazy, given the mains cable installed.

Could someone please confirm if what ChargedEV is correct or are they just trying to avoid a "free" installation?

Cheers

·
Registered
530 Posts
What's the cable core size going from the 100A main switch to the garage?

It looks a 10mm^2 armoured to me, which might not be enough if they are taking into account the 32A load demand for the EV charger AND the existing load in the garage as well, and also the cable length (to calculate for voltage drops due to the cable resistance).

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
find a different installer. Theres nothing wrong with putting a charger on your supply. "Splitting the tails" at the henley blocks in the garage junction box will be fine. Alternatively you can run it from the garage CU, thought i would maybe consider replacing it with a metal one.

One question though, where is the earth for the garage (and presumably house) CU's derived from? The earth on the incoming armour doesnt leave the box. Its presumably a TT supply, but i dont see an earth entering the garage CU?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
find a different installer. Theres nothing wrong with putting a charger on your supply. "Splitting the tails" at the henley blocks in the garage junction box will be fine. Alternatively you can run it from the garage CU, thought i would maybe consider replacing it with a metal one.

One question though, where is the earth for the garage (and presumably house) CU's derived from? The earth on the incoming armour doesnt leave the box. Its presumably a TT supply, but i dont see an earth entering the garage CU?
thank you... I would like to get my « free charger » but it feels like they’re doing everything they can not to install it...
The earth is (hidden) behind the consumer unit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What's the cable core size going from the 100A main switch to the garage?

It looks a 10mm^2 armoured to me, which might not be enough if they are taking into account the 32A load demand for the EV charger AND the existing load in the garage as well, and also the cable length (to calculate for voltage drops due to the cable resistance).
Thank you. I don’t have the exact diameter but i believe it should be enough for the total load.
ChargedEV tells me that the type of protection used is not adequate for an EV charger.
Is it not possible to have an RCD 100a before an EV charger?? I was wondering if I could make changes to the protection?

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
180 Posts
Thank you. I don’t have the exact diameter but i believe it should be enough for the total load.
ChargedEV tells me that the type of protection used is not adequate for an EV charger.
Is it not possible to have an RCD 100a before an EV charger?? I was wondering if I could make changes to the protection?
By "protection" do they mean the protective earth conductor? If your system is TN-C-S then the EVSE requires a Separate TT earth.
However some EVSE (Zappi & PodPoint) have built in protection. For those that don't there are inline safety devices available.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
It's bad practice as any fault in the charging may trip the supply to the whole house. I would agree that you need to split the supply before it leaves your meter box, and that requires a second cable. :devilish:
I question why you need an RCD in the meter box at all. If it is safe to run the supply for the EV from the meter box to the garage without RCD protection then why does the other supply need it. Is it poorly installed or above ground at some point? :unsure:

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
It's bad practice as any fault in the charging may trip the supply to the whole house. I would agree that you need to split the supply before it leaves your meter box, and that requires a second cable. :devilish:
I question why you need an RCD in the meter box at all. If it is safe to run the supply for the EV from the meter box to the garage without RCD protection then why does the other supply need it. Is it poorly installed or above ground at some point? :unsure:
Most of the house RCDs will be 30mA. The one at the meter is 100mA (for protection of cables/appliances rather than people) so there should be discrimination.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Good point. 👍 Perhaps ChargedEV don't agree or have missed that.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Because its a TT install, and its very common (and i think required) in a TT install to have a 100mA RCD covering the whole installation in such a system.

Presumably because the earth impedence of the cable armour is potentially too high to operate the standard protective device (ie the fuse) quickly enough for the regs.

The RCD used (Protek 100-100-2HTDM) is also a time delayed unit (100mA, 100ms) rather than the typical 30mA/30ms units used in consumer units and on final circuits. This ensures discrimination.

Theres nothing wrong with his install, and its perfectly acceptable to fit a charger to the garage CU or junction box. They're just being incompetent.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Where is that supply cabinet vs where you want to charge?

Simplest would be to leave everything as is except to use the Henley blocks to split off a new small CU in the cabinet just for the charge point. The charge point could be on a post if required.

What brand of charge point is the free one?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good Morning OP,

Sorry to hear about your experience so far, if you do end up needing to find an alternative installer, please have a read of our proposition below:

We are a family run business that prides ourselves on customer service and reliability.

All the charge points provided by us are eligible for:

✅ The OLEV grant of £350
✅ Energy Saving Trust (EST) grant of £300 applicable to Scottish residents.

❗❗Scottish Residents❗❗You will pay our quoted price but after installation, you will receive £300 grant funding from EST directly to your account.

🧨🧨Exclusive pricing for SPEAKEV members. Just quote SPEAKEV20 🧨🧨

For the following TETHERED chargepoints supplied and installed :

🔵 OHME intelligent wall charger - £600
🔴 Mini Pro by EO - £700
⚫ Zappi v2 - £750

Visit us on EV Home Charge Install Home - EV Home Charge Install

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
  • Good Morning OP,

Sorry to hear about your experience so far, if you do end up needing to find an alternative installer, please have a read of our proposition below:

We are a family run business that prides ourselves on customer service and reliability.

All the charge points provided by us are eligible for:

✅ The OLEV grant of £350
    ✅ Energy Saving Trust (EST) grant of £300 applicable to Scottish residents.

❗❗Scottish Residents❗❗You will pay our quoted price but after installation, you will receive £300 grant funding from EST directly to your account.

🧨🧨Exclusive pricing for SPEAKEV members. Just quote SPEAKEV20 🧨🧨

For the following TETHERED chargepoints supplied and installed :

🔵 OHME intelligent wall charger - £600
    🔴 Mini Pro by EO - £700
    ⚫ Zappi v2 - £750

Visit us on EV Home Charge Install Home - EV Home Charge Install
    This service just looks like a referral service for small independent installers .If that is the case, no harm but for anyone using the service, always best to check whom one is contracting with, who provides warranty, after installation service, qualifications etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Everyone,

Mark here from ChargedEV

Thanks for the input so far from all the other qualified electricians and EV installers here.

The RCD in situ at the minute is a type AC RCD sine wave, if we installed a type A RCD sine wave upstream there is a potential that we could blind that RCD

e.g. EVCP could potential pump out 4mA DC leakage which the EVSE wouldn’t trip and the RCD wouldn’t trip as bellow 6mA but this DC leakage would blind the upstream 100mA time delayed RCD.

Ignoring the obvious groundwork's challenges here, if this was on a house, we would simply split the tails after the isolation point and install a brand new mini consumer unit with Type A RCBO or Type B RCD depending on the choice of EVSE.

We are actively trying to source an alternative Type B RCD (time delayed) to replace the main RCD currently present, however this is proving challenging.

We have already engaged with the customer directly and will update again as soon as we can.

Mark Pymm
Director
ChargedEV

1 - 14 of 14 Posts