Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a BMW i3 94ah BEV for a few years now and it is charged most days by c Rolec tethered 7KW tethered charger which is installed on the corner of the house and wired from the meter box. This was done as the consumer unit is right in the middle of the house with no easy way to get a run to the exterior.

I am in the process of ordering a PHEV on a 2 year lease to replace our current diesel family wagon and am thinking about charging options. I see this as a stop gap car until we move to a 2xBEV household - currently thinking MY. I think the PHEV will only charge at 3KW.

In winter when my wife and I are both working the i3 generally needs a charge every night and I'll want to maximise the charge on the PHEV too so I'm thinking I need a second charger. However the location of the first one is such that I can't really install another one nearby or it would need quite a lot of cable to reach the car - say 5m or so which would be a big mess.

Alternatively, my garage and other parking area is on the opposite side of the house (so not accessible from the meter box or consumer unit). I am wondering what can be done in terms of installing a charger from the garage spur/loop (or whatever they are called) without a dedicated cable run from the consumer unit? Preferably something better than just having a 3pin plugged in all the time but I'm not sure 7Kw is necessary.

Thanks in advance

J

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Personally I think that you need to decide whether you will ever need 7kW at the second point, 3kW or only 10A. If you end up with two BEV in the future, how much charge will the least used need?
Personally, we currently have two LEAF24s with 3kW capability but don't manage to fully charge both during the off-peak period on Go. As I can see us getting less efficient BEVs in the future I opted to wire it once for 7kW for each straight off.
Do you have the option of going up the wall in conduit, through the roof space then down again to get to the second parking area?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't really imagine that we'd need two 7KW chargers to get the cars where they need to be but I would like to switch to OctopusGo asap (That's a different story in that my meter box needs rearranging to accommodate a smart meter and it's looking like that's my responsibility) which would limit the window of cheap charging.

I probably could go up and over from the meter box again. I think I'm going to need an electrician with knowledge of such things.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
You do need to find an imaginative sparky. Get a price for both a 16A and a 32A solutions then ask yourself whether, given the overall cost the differential is worth paying.
If you assume a nominal 3.5 m/kWh you'll get about 7 miles/hour charging from a Granny lead, 10.5 from 16A and 21 from 32A assuming that your onboard charger will use it all (our LEAF24s are limited to 16A). Over the 4 hours of Go that works out as 28, 42 and 84 respectively (assuming that you have the battery capacity). Obviously if you go beyond the 4 hours you get more but at the higher rate. For our second car we only just need the 4 hours at 16A, and it was hard to justify the extra cost of £100 for the 32A charger other than future proofing.
Completely left field, but a sparky can probably fit an outside socket for less than £100 that would support your granny charger. If you currently only need 8 or 10kWh and this isn't a forever house then it may be the most sensible option. Just make sure that the waterproof socket fitted can take the large plug of the lead (they are bigger than conventional plugs) and that you protect the brick part of the charger from water - they are only splash proof.

Reactions: Jak77

·
Registered
85 Posts
Another option. Get a quote for a 32Amp commando socket fitted in your garage and buy the Ohme EVSE from Octopus for £199..
That's my plan - 7kW charger for my e-Golf and I'll get a 16amp commando plug and buy the relevant 16amp charge cable for the Kuga PHEV that's on order. Will then charge both within the Octopus Go off peak window.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
That's my plan - 7kW charger for my e-Golf and I'll get a 16amp commando plug and buy the relevant 16amp charge cable for the Kuga PHEV that's on order. Will then charge both within the Octopus Go off peak window.
Get the OHME portable EVSE complete with CEE plug from Octopus, good bit of kit at a bargain price.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts