Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had their 2nd year Ampera service yet?

I have just been quoted £215 for year 2 service. They say that the engine oil and the brake fluid both are on the schedule for 2nd service. I thought oil only needed changing when the car said so. I know oil can deteriorate over time so it can't stay in there forever but it seems that Vauxhall change it at 2 years regardless.

·
Super Moderator
6,389 Posts

I have just been quoted £215 for year 2 service. They say that the engine oil and the brake fluid both are on the schedule for 2nd service. I thought oil only needed changing when the car said so. I know oil can deteriorate over time so it can't stay in there forever but it seems that Vauxhall change it at 2 years regardless.

Just had our Volt 18000 mile second year service done for free as I negotiated 2 free services when we bought Cambridge Chevrolet's ex demo car.

The reads
Lab £50
Filt £16.45
Brake Fluid £5.51
Oil seal £3.07
Oil filter £6.52
Oil £39.88
Total £121.43

The bill has no Vat on it but that might be because it was free.

·
Super Moderator
6,389 Posts
How much time of labour does that £50 represent?
All it says is Qty 1……….don't know if that's 1 hour or 1 day, but as the first two services are free I am keeping the invoices just in case the third one suddenly cost's a fortune.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts

The Volt service schedule is quite clear that oil is inspect on a maintenance I service and replace on a maintenance II service. Brake fluid is also replace on maintenance II. Also it says replace pollen filter is every 30,000 miles or 2 years so check they remember that one if it's a 2 year rather than 20,000 mile service.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just had mine Volt's 2nd year service done. £179 at Cambridge Chevrolet. Oil, brake fluid + new pollen filter + all the usual including fixing a groaning steering wheel (warranty). Only some lube required :)

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. It seems then that the content of the service is fine... just pricey at Eden vauxhall, Exeter.

·
Super Moderator
6,389 Posts
Just had mine Volt's 2nd year service done. £179 at Cambridge Chevrolet. Oil, brake fluid + new pollen filter + all the usual including fixing a groaning steering wheel (warranty). Only some lube required :)

Hi Bob,

We had our Volt serviced at Cambridge, did you read my bill above? and if so what is the difference in cost?

Thanks Andy

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi Bob,

We had our Volt serviced at Cambridge, did you read my bill above? and if so what is the difference in cost?

Thanks Andy
Hi Andy,

I don't know. My bill breaks down like this:
LABOUR £90
FILTERPAS £18.28
BRAKEFLUID £6.11
SEAL OIL PAN £3.83
OIL FILTER £8.14
OIL £49.85

Everything + VAT came to £211.45
Maybe prices have gone up but you getting you free services seems like a good idea :)

·
Super Moderator
6,389 Posts
Hi Andy,

I don't know. My bill breaks down like this:
LABOUR £90
FILTERPAS £18.28
BRAKEFLUID £6.11
SEAL OIL PAN £3.83
OIL FILTER £8.14
OIL £49.85

Everything + VAT came to £211.45
Maybe prices have gone up but you getting you free services seems like a good idea :)

We only had the service on the 3rd March!!!!!!!
Maybe my bill is the internal cost that the service dept charge the sales team, in which case their profit margin is pretty reasonable

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Our 2nd year service is tomorrow.

No big problems.

Software update and the recall to do. Should have more details by lunchtime.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Mine was done without incident but the update to the DRL will remove all your radio presets. Not found anything else yet that is noticable at least.

Brakes Front 20-25% Rear 10-15% worn after 2 years not bad I feel. Oil was replaced but brake fluid not changed as boiling point was within limits. Tyres still have some way to go before they need replacing. A/C was working OK.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Suggestion - supply your own oil. £50 for oil, which will be whatever cheap rubbish they find? Go to Halfords, buy the equivalent Shell Helix or F3000 or Castrol Magnatec or Edge and get them to use that instead. I've been doing this for years, it saves about £20 a time and the engine runs MUCH more smoothly, plus I've even seen a tiny increase in economy on other cars because of the vastly improved cold running efficiency.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,546 Posts
I bulk buy 4 x 5L of Vauxhalls own fully synthetic oil, last time it was buy three get one free. I am sure it worked out around £16 for 5L. Hopefully it will do for the Ampera as well.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
It will, but it won't be as good as the proper stuff - it's like putting Asda oil in instead of Shell...

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Indeed. Of course it's the right grade if you use Vauxhall's own, but it's like using cheapo supermarket petrol compared to Shell V-Power. You get out what you put in; if you put in cheap stuff that's manufactured as cheaply as possible to just about make the grade, you're never going to get the same performance as a quality oil.
As long as it's the right grade, it won't cause warranty problems (by law).
My experience has been so much better with decent oil that all my family and friends now do the same.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts