Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just wondering if anyone out there (can't find any related posts) have the need and found a way to permanently secure a 3pin charger outside?

I'm not ready yet for a fixed 500 quid+ jobby and know already that I'll soon tire of having to unplug my 3pin charger from my outside plug and put it somewhere safe every time I go out in the car. Also, I doubt I'm going to need to charge elsewhere, at least not on a regular basis.

I've searched on the web for metal casing and thinking I could use that to secure the transformer to the wall, then just have a hook for the cable. Anyone done this yet?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
You can buy external 13A wall sockets with locking eyes on them for a padlock. That secures the wall plug.

Then really all you need is an appropriate IP rated EVSE and someway to secure that to the wall. That will depend on the granny charger you use, but it's really just a wall anchor, chain and padlock

·
Registered
191 Posts
You could fit a steel cabinet outside with a lock to stow the thing perhaps although well made steel cabinets like this are not that cheap. There are outdoor electrical cabinets that have secure locks made that could be used for this with a bit of modification and you could get one big enough to be able to store the cable and connector in when not being used.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I am doing the same shortly we mostly charge free out and about, the granny lead will do for the odd time we need to charge at home. So I will find a appropriate small steel cabinet for the job, also I will wire it into the redundant 32 amp shower MCB and an internal switch

·
Registered
461 Posts
Guy who installed our charger yesterday said the grants are not going to be around long. They are already getting very fussy approving the grants he said. Rejecting for spurious reasons. He said their installations alone are running at 5000 a month so it's getting expensive. At the end of the day EVs are expensive anyway the charger is a tiny cost of ownership.

Is it fair for people who don't have a car or drive subsidise people buying expensive EVs ? Not sure it's sustainable even in the short term with the financial situation we are in currently.

·
Registered
461 Posts
What is the betting that when the grants go the price of getting a charger installed doesn't go up by anything like the amount of the grant?
Exactly. This is the problem with grants. They distort the market and keep prices artificially high. Suppress competition and innovation.

You have already seen this with the EV grants. They reduced the max value on cars it could be applied. Nissan magically drop the price of the leaf by six grand....

The same thing happened in the states with Tesla. They ended the grants and Tesla just reduced the price of their cars by the amount of the grant !

·
Registered
75 Posts
Guy who installed our charger yesterday said the grants are not going to be around long. They are already getting very fussy approving the grants he said. Rejecting for spurious reasons. He said their installations alone are running at 5000 a month so it's getting expensive. At the end of the day EVs are expensive anyway the charger is a tiny cost of ownership.

Is it fair for people who don't have a car or drive subsidise people buying expensive EVs ? Not sure it's sustainable even in the short term with the financial situation we are in currently.
Or more likely the government has realised they are getting rinsed, and the only thing the grant is doing is inflating the cost of a charger and boosting the profits of the manufacturers and installers.

Rather like when they restricted the EV grant to cars costing less than £35k and then miraculously several manufacturers cut the price of their over £35k cars to £34,999.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
608 Posts

There's no good reason why the chargepoints alone retail at around £200 plus. They'll be less than £100 before long once they start churning them out. Screwfix already sell a granny charger for £140.

Reactions: Johnny Read

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers guys. Already have a padlock-able plug socket on the drive so whatever I'll do with the bulky transformer will be in conjunction with that.
It is sounding like it's not something regular, I'll do some more research and thinking and will post pics of what I come up with.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
At the end of the day EVs are expensive anyway the charger is a tiny cost of ownership.
But people don't own EVs. They're leasing them. And many salary sacrifice cars are without a deposit. So suddenly you're going from £250-500 monthly, to spending £500 straight away on a charger.

And £500 is a lot of kWh! No doubt the new chargers are safer (PEN and DC fault protection), but as OP shows it's driving many people into using 3-pin sockets and means many people (like myself) won't entertain the idea of updating to a safer post-2018 charger for no benefit.

In fact, I'm more likely to have a granny socket fitted for the Ampera and replace the cable on the Type-1 chargemaster when the time comes.

·
Registered
883 Posts
13a 3 pin is NOT cost effective.

If you do a decent (150m plus) drive you are going to need a recharge. That will be 20-30 hours on a 3 pin, at high cost (15p per KWh) whereas on a 7.2 kw charger it will be a 5 hr charge, almost all off peak at 5p a KWh.

Do that over a year and you’ve paid for the proper charger.

3 pin can overheat.

3 pin can set fire to the socket (especially an old one).

I only have 3 pin at home, but I can charge at work so it doesn’t matter. I rarely used it at home as I don’t want a fire nor to use a huge amount of high price electric.

Get the most basic (but safe) 7.2kw charger fitted at home. You don’t need smart charging, you don’t need anything flash. Our one at work is a simple box, you plug in and it starts charging, straight away, no cards, apps, nothing. Never gone wrong, there is little or nothing TO go wrong.

These chargers are about £200 and an installer can fit them in an hour or two.

You don’t need some £800 fancy schmancy thing that wirelessly connects to a network and plays Mozart every charge or some such other nonsense - all your charge schedules should be able to be done by the car, just a simple thing, with a type 2 socket is fine. It will be safer, and cheaper in no time.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I definitely agree with the above but are the sums right?

I am no wizz with numbers but surely a 32A wall charger is going to be 3.2 times faster than a 10A plug in charger is it not?

If it takes 30 hours to charge from a plug in charger then it is going to take just under 9 and half hours to charge on a 32A wall charger, or if it takes 20 hours to charge on a plug in charger it is going to take 6 and a quarter hours to charge on a 32A wall charger. I am struggling to see where the 5 hour number has come from to be honest here.

I am also not at all sure that that price of £200 is right as I spent a fair time when I was looking around at chargers as I did not want to spend an arm and a leg on the thing but at the same time it had to be safe and reliable as well as neat looking and not from one of the companies that I had been strongly advised to avoid like the plague because of their reputation for having the cheap Chinese parts burn out (that was from reading threads here last year before I signed up).

The very cheapest unit I could find that had all the right safety stuff built in and did not seem to use dodgy parts cost about €450 back then plus about another €150 for the other materials needed like cable and the stuff to make the connections. Somewhere I have the invoices for all the stuff I bought as I had the electrician in on a labour only basis as I bought all the materials and put in the underground cable to both save cash and so that it went exactly where I wanted it to be. This worked out fine although I did not end up going for the very cheapest decent one I could find and the cost after I had got the €600 grant back was not too bad.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Don't listen to this.

If you do a decent (150m plus) drive you are going to need a recharge. That will be 20-30 hours on a 3 pin, at high cost (15p per KWh) whereas on a 7.2 kw charger it will be a 5 hr charge, almost all off peak at 5p a KWh.

Do that over a year and you’ve paid for the proper charger.
A new, cheap £500 charger is a 5,000 miles difference between charging at 5p and charging at 15p. Assuming none of your granny charging is done at the reduced rate (which is a poor assumption).

Not sure how a 2.3kW charge takes 20-30 hours, bit a 7 kW charge takes only 25%. Perhaps maths...

3pin can overheat.

3 pin can set fire to the socket (especially an old one).
So can a 7kW charger...

Get the most basic (but safe) 7.2kw charger fitted at home. You don’t need smart charging, you don’t need anything flash. Our one at work is a simple box, you plug in and it starts charging, straight away, no cards, apps, nothing. Never gone wrong, there is little or nothing TO go wrong.

These chargers are about £200 and an installer can fit them in an hour or two.
You can't. Not legitimately. The latest 18th edition Part P requires PEN protection and DC protection to the charge circuit. An electrician shouldn't install a new charger unless it is compliant to the latest standards.

The home charger grant requires the Smart components. Like it not, costs are inflated because of the grant (and the delay in it repaying fitters).

You don’t need some £800 fancy schmancy thing that wirelessly connects to a network and plays Mozart every charge or some such other nonsense - all your charge schedules should be able to be done by the car, just a simple thing, with a type 2 socket is fine. It will be safer, and cheaper in no time.
Is this £200 charger second hand? Because if it's a pre-2018 charger it'll barely be any safer than a good 3-pin socket.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
It is fine for most people. I visit my Mum in the Peak District and charge on an outside 13 amp socket in the drive. I have a full charge by the time I've got up and had a decent breakfast, and that is from a very low level. Most people don't charge from a low level.

3 pin can overheat. 3 pin can set fire to the socket (especially an old one).
It would be rare to set fire to anything. They overheat and melt. It can happen with a tumble dryer - I've seen it. Use a good, well maintained socket and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Seen a few cases of melted sockets - agreed not a fire yet. I don’t and would never charge off a granny socket at 2.3kw unless I am there, awake and checking on it every hour. Overnight I reduce mine to 6a for safety.

64KWh battery at 2.3kwh is 27 hours, but as I would never run at 10a overnight, it’s usually more like 35hrs - depends on the car of course, small battery will take less time.

Here is one I have seen just over £200.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts