Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We went for a big Christmas shop at the weekend - yes I know it is early. Anyway; we managed to charge the car at the car park - our first away from home charge. From home to the car park was just about 0.25 miles beyond all-electric range. We charged-up during the morning and then on the way home I managed it all on battery power - getting to zero charge as we rolled in front of the garage back home. A wonderful happy feeling of course only slightly marred by my thoughts about the charging at the car park. The charging point was not one that locked the cable plug in a secure box like some do. So I wondered about securing the cable and here's my idea below. Does anyone had any thoughts...

Take some strong webbing and secure it around the cable at one end. This could be done by looping it tightly around the sheath and sewing it back onto itself. Then take the other end and do the same thing around a toggle - like the things you use to secure a duffle coat only larger. As the webbing is permanently fixed around the cable then when charging the car you take the toggle and throw it in the boot or one of the passenger doors before closing the said door on the webbing. Lock the car with the trapped toggle and then you have a secured cable.

Does that make sense? Can anyone think of reasons it would not work - and before anyone says it I know that webbing is not going to be as strong as say steel but does that mean it won't help at all?

·
Zoe Devotee
9,442 Posts
Does your car not lock at the car end?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it supposed to? To be honest I'm not sure. It doesn't lock the 13A cable - which uses the same plug.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,442 Posts
Check your manual, it might be configurable to lock at car end. Zoe locks everything attached to it automatically.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Padlock on the car end charging cable - that's what the holes for on the button bit (grey) or are you using the orange cable? Without a three pin uk plug on it and just the one with two car charge plug ins?

·
Registered
496 Posts
I don't think the Outlander does lock the cable.
The leaf has a switch inside the car, so that you can leave it unlocked...... Locked...... Or Auto, which means it's locked until it's 100%, then releases it. That's ok if you are using a tethered cable, but not if you are using your own at a public post.
Our Golf locks the cable when you lock the car.

I think one method of securing the outlander cable is to loop it through the the alloy wheel, and a padlock -someone may have a picture

·
Registered
3 Posts
The outlander does not lock its cable. When fast charging, the station locks the cable, or when charging using a non tethered cable, the station generally locks the plug in the station.

Seriously though has anyone had a cable stolen yet - if I didn't know how these things worked, I would be terrified of touching, never mind trying to steal something that I couldn't use, and is only pennies in scrap value.

If you are really worried - stick to tethered cables, for the extra few pence it will cost, it is not worth losing something that can cost you hundreds of pounds IMHO.

·
Premium Member
9,083 Posts
Tethered cables aren't really an option when you using a public L2 station, I have tended to just loop the cable round the alloy. But that wouldn't stop a SOB pushing the micro-switch down and stopping the charge.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,442 Posts
The outlander does not lock its cable. When fast charging, the station locks the cable, or when charging using a non tethered cable, the station generally locks the plug in the station.

Seriously though has anyone had a cable stolen yet - if I didn't know how these things worked, I would be terrified of touching, never mind trying to steal something that I couldn't use, and is only pennies in scrap value.

If you are really worried - stick to tethered cables, for the extra few pence it will cost, it is not worth losing something that can cost you hundreds of pounds IMHO.
Might be worth nothing in scrap, but worth a fortune inconvenience. Also probably worth a few quid on eBay.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have only used two charging points so far. One locked the plug into the charger while the other was simply a type ii socket in a post with a switch to turn it on - so no locking.

Thanks for the tip about the padlock Peter. I had a spare one of about the right size so I tried it last night and it worked.

I am glad that cables are not nicked but I also want to take some basic precautions.

·
Registered
142 Posts
It really annoys me that the outlander doesn't lock the cable - using a padlock feels like fitting a beaded seat - it was alright in the 80s bit there's no place for it today.

I'm wondering if I can frig a leaf socket into the car with a manual switch if needs be. Does anyone have a pin out for one? I'm hoping it's controlled by 12v signals not Can bus.

·
Registered
943 Posts
My understanding is that pressing the trigger in a J1772 plug must signal "stop charging" to the vehicle or EVSE, not sure which and so it's not just to stop removal. The use of a padlock stops someone from cancelling your charge even if they can't remove the plug.

·
Registered
5 Posts
when naughty people realise that EV cables cost from £100-300 depending on length, connectors and Amp rating - they will start nicking them. They'll either strip them for copper and weigh them in or sell on gumtree or ebay
a £200 cable will sell 2nd hand half price for a £100, so that's a hundred quid for a 1 min easy steal.

i put a padlock round mine, with padlock fitted through the towbar fitting, to stop the opportunist thief from unplugging and walking off. obviously won't stop a prepared thief with bolt croppers, but it will stop people unplugging and walking off with it. the mitsubishi outlander does not lock the cable unfortunately. what i also read is that a lot of other cars lock the cable when its charging and the car is locked. however when the charge is finished - can you just unplug it then???

·
Registered
943 Posts
The Outlander, and many other cars, use a Type 1 (J1772) socket. There is no servo-type lock on these plugs and you have to use a 4mm padlock on the trigger (there is a hole). Type 2 (Mennekes) sockets can lock the cable in - but it's really only a little latch to stop casual removal. Like you say, a determined thief will always win - it's the casual criminal we have to stop.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I tried a standard S&L 30mm padlock but found its 5mm diameter shackle was a very tight squeeze on two of my three cables (including the stock Mitsu 3-pin to Type1 cable), and too tight altogether for the third cable.

The Abus 145/30 (amazon linked above) is reportedly also 5mm shackle... @Peter are you saying this particular one actually fits in, for example, the stock Mitsu Type1 plug?

Might play it safe with one that has 4mm shackle...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts