·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I went to a public charger and did the following:
  1. Left car unlocked
  2. Plugged in the charger
  3. Confirmed that the charge had begun on the lights close to the windshield
When I entered the car, the light indicating that cable is plugged in was on, but besides that I couldn't see in any place more that charging was happening, or time left to 100 %.

I turned on the ignition and searched in the menus for a place where I can see time left to 100 %, as you can see in the UVO app, or on the display for some time after when you plug in the cable and lock the car, but without success.

Not a big thing, but would be neat to have when I'll be waiting inside the car during a charge on a longer trip.

Anyone that can tell what's the expected behaviour here?

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
918 Posts
I haven’t used a rapid charger for a few months now (since I got my Zappi at home). However, from memory it was easy. Just roll up, put car in P but don’t turn it off. Get out, plug in start the charge. Then just get in and watch the live kW charging rate and the SOC etc on the screen behind the wheel. I’m pretty sure this was how it worked anyway. Peter.

·
Registered
Soul EV 2020
75 Posts
Assuming 'engine' is switched off. If the display has timed out/switched off just open and close the drivers door - no need to get out - the display pops up for abourt 30-40secs

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Assuming 'engine' is switched off. If the display has timed out/switched off just open and close the drivers door - no need to get out - the display pops up for abourt 30-40secs
But the thing is that I want to sit in the car, with the ignition on, to use radio, AC, etc.

Turning everything off and open the door seems tedious in comparison with just changing the app.

·
Registered
Kia E Niro 4
235 Posts
If you put the car in Utility Mode so you can have radio etc then the Infotainment screen can show Battery percentage and current GOM so that should be increasing as you sit in the car. I have that as the 1/3 screen.

·
Registered
68 Posts
But the thing is that I want to sit in the car, with the ignition on, to use radio, AC, etc.

Turning everything off and open the door seems tedious in comparison with just changing the app.
As @prawlin mentioned above just don't turn the car off when you plug in to charge. The SoC and time remain should stay permanently on in the middle of the instrument cluster.

It's not possible to turn on Utility mode whilst charging as essentially that is automatically what you're put into when charging (albeit not officially, doesn't say "UTIL" ) as it's impossible to put into drive until disconnected and car restarted.

Actually that last bit is a good warning - if you've left your car on when charging it will go into accessory mode as soon as you disconnect so don't leave it like that for long.

·
Registered
262 Posts
....that's exactly what I did last week whilst sat charging at Mcdonald's, I didn't have any problem at all.

Ignition off, I set the car charging, locked the doors then went into McDonalds to get a take-away, then back to the car, opened the door, got in, turned on ignition (fully, as "ready to drive"), charging meter with time remaining shown in the driver display ( i have my max charge on DC set to 80%) as well as the charging rate in kW.

As the car is "turned on" I could watch the range increasing on the GOM, so instead of waiting for the full 80% charge, I could terminate the charging when i have the range that I need on the GOM ( with a suitable allowance etc) and therefore continue with my journey instead of unnecessarily hanging around waiting, or hogging the charger if someone is waiting.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
....that's exactly what I did last week whilst sat charging at Mcdonald's, I didn't have any problem at all.

Ignition off, I set the car charging, locked the doors then went into McDonalds to get a take-away, then back to the car, opened the door, got in, turned on ignition (fully, as "ready to drive"), charging meter with time remaining shown in the driver display ( i have my max charge on DC set to 80%) as well as the charging rate in kW.

As the car is "turned on" I could watch the range increasing on the GOM, so instead of waiting for the full 80% charge, I could terminate the charging when i have the range that I need on the GOM ( with a suitable allowance etc) and therefore continue with my journey instead of unnecessarily hanging around waiting, or hogging the charger if someone is waiting.
Ok, I was at almost 100 % percent when I did try to see it, so maybe the car had stopped charging already. Next time I'll try it again.
Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As @prawlin mentioned above just don't turn the car off when you plug in to charge. The SoC and time remain should stay permanently on in the middle of the instrument cluster.

It's not possible to turn on Utility mode whilst charging as essentially that is automatically what you're put into when charging (albeit not officially, doesn't say "UTIL" ) as it's impossible to put into drive until disconnected and car restarted.

Actually that last bit is a good warning - if you've left your car on when charging it will go into accessory mode as soon as you disconnect so don't leave it like that for long.
Thanks for the clarification.
On the last part, why wouldn't I like the car to go into accessory mode? What's the difference between accessory mode and utility mode?

·
Registered
262 Posts
What's the difference between accessory mode and utility mode?
Accessory mode uses the 12 volt battery which will quickly become discharged if left on for a while ( you do get a warning in the driver display). My understanding is that Utility mode allows the 12v battery to charge from the main drive battery preventing it becoming depleted.

if the 12v battery becomes discharged the car will not start! o_O

Reactions: prawlin

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
656 Posts
So here's the thing:
Accessory mode: BAD, VERY BAD.
(You want no money, you don't want no bread)

Sorry, couldn't resist the reference to my all time fav band...

·
Registered
360 Posts
If you are charging the 12v battery is being charged to my knowledge. I have always turned off when connecting and starting a charge, I thought that was better for the car and less likely to cause charging errors.
1 start button push, foot not on brake, is accessory mode, if not charging depletes 12v battery, screens turn on but does not display battery info
2 start button pushes, foot not on brake, will turn on all screens so you can see the charge on the driver cluster plus turns on climate control, if not charging depletes 12v battery and you will be warned that it is depleting 12v battery. It shows at the top of the screen and is easy to miss and times out, but repeats at regular intervals
You can also do the one button push with foot on the brake to turn car on you will get the unplug message before you can drive, drive modes will be disabled.
2 pushes of the start button whilst charging will give you a warning if the climate system is on, saying the charge may take a bit longer.
Well that is what I found with my Ioniq

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Accessory mode uses the 12 volt battery which will quickly become discharged if left on for a while ( you do get a warning in the driver display). My understanding is that Utility mode allows the 12v battery to charge from the main drive battery preventing it becoming depleted.

if the 12v battery becomes discharged the car will not start! o_O
Thanks, the naming could be a bit more transparent, as accessory and utility kind are very similar in meaning?

So it only becomes a problem if I
  1. Plug in the charger,
  2. Turn on the car (A/C etc. starts),
  3. Leave the key in the car,
  4. Exit the car with ignition on while charging,
  5. Disconnect the charger,
  6. Walk away from the car
Just to confirm that it doesn't become a problem as long as I'm sitting in the car.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks, the naming could be a bit more transparent, as accessory and utility kind are very similar in meaning?

So it only becomes a problem if I
  1. Plug in the charger,
  2. Turn on the car (A/C etc. starts),
  3. Leave the key in the car,
  4. Exit the car with ignition on while charging,
  5. Disconnect the charger,
  6. Walk away from the car
Just to confirm that it doesn't become a problem as long as I'm sitting in the car.
To make it simpler:

-When charging your car is either off or on (whether it's on when you plug in or you turn it on at some point during charge)

-if you're going to be sitting in the car then have it on so you can listen to radio, have climate control on etc

-if you are going to leave the car for any period, probably better to turn off and lock

-the only issue to be careful of is if you have the car on with radio/climate/etc and then end charging without turning the car off (which isn't a problem). When you do this as soon as you disconnect, the radio etc will be powered solely by the 12v battery and will drain it after extended use. This isn't a problem unless you are going to leave these things running for 15+ mins.

Solution: before ending charge either turn off your car, or (what I do) leave car on, disconnect and then start the car again as normal after you've disconnected.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
To make it simpler:

-When charging your car is either off or on (whether it's on when you plug in or you turn it on at some point during charge)

-if you're going to be sitting in the car then have it on so you can listen to radio, have climate control on etc

-if you are going to leave the car for any period, probably better to turn off and lock

-the only issue to be careful of is if you have the car on with radio/climate/etc and then end charging without turning the car off (which isn't a problem). When you do this as soon as you disconnect, the radio etc will be powered solely by the 12v battery and will drain it after extended use. This isn't a problem unless you are going to leave these things running for 15+ mins.

Solution: before ending charge either turn off your car, or (what I do) leave car on, disconnect and then start the car again as normal after you've disconnected.
Thanks for the clarification, really good to know.
I guess usually when you're sitting in the car waiting for it to charge, you want to leave after disconnecting, so should not be a problem in general.

·
Registered
621 Posts
How does one charge the car when it's on? Doesn't the car start making all sorts of beeps if you get out without turning it off?

·
Registered
262 Posts
So here's the thing:
Accessory mode: BAD, VERY BAD.
(You want no money, you don't want no bread)
Brings back memories of time past...the best version imo is on made in Japan. I listened to it constantly, an all time classic.

Possibly the best live album ever recorded, a rock masterpiece.

Reactions: Xinix
1 - 20 of 20 Posts