Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Someone should come up with a better solution that stopping in the middle of the road. Especially at night that could be deadly. Look at how many people get hit breaking down on smart motorways.

The best there is at what I do
Discussion Starter #4

Registered
I know of at least one and that is too many, I've nothing against smart motorways as long as they are safe.

The reason I asked is that I had not heard any reports. It's hardly surprising since that was on local news only. Presumably the BBC didn't think it warranted national coverage - there could well have been an outcry if that was the case.

Registered
The reason I asked is that I had not heard any reports. It's hardly surprising since that was on local news only. Presumably the BBC didn't think it warranted national coverage - there could well have been an outcry if that was the case.
There has been some national coverage. Can't recall the numbers but there was a significant increase in accidents on the smart motorways trial. There was if I recall at least one expert saying government should now halt the trials as a result. If I recall the government response amounted to bah humbug.

Registered
BBCs angle was MS call for halt to smart motorways roll out.... really they mean All lane running however. Looks like approx 9x more accidents per mile compared to standard motorways, but I'm reading the news article, not the original data, so there's a layer of interpretation in that.
"It is the ALR schemes which are the most common and that are causing the greatest concern.
Figures from Highways England, obtained by the RAC via a Freedom of Information request, show that at the end of 2017 there were 100 miles of ALR motorway in England.
Last year, on these stretches there were 16 crashes across all lanes which caused injury involving stationary vehicles, such as broken-down cars.
The figures also show that over the same period, there were 29 similar crashes involving vehicles parked up on the hard shoulder for the whole of the rest of the network in England - which includes about 1,800 miles of road."

The best there is at what I do
Discussion Starter #9
Well, if that's the case, let's hope that the work currently being done on the M4 includes keeping the hard shoulder. I thought smart motorways just meant lane control using overhead gantry signalling.
I thought smart motorways were when the hard shoulder was used as an extra lane during periods of heavy congestion, when motorways are converted additional emergency pull off areas are created and the lanes are monitored by cameras.

I believe average speed cameras are a better solution to smart motorways because they retain the hard shoulder for emergencies.

Registered
Does no one else see the massive illogicality in this 'news'?
A self driving car would not need a driver at all. It's in the name: self driving, which is level 5 autonomous.

This article is presumably referring to lower levels of autonomy, such as Tesla's appallingly named Autopilot, which are not really self driving because they require a driver.

Registered
There was a report on BBC Radio 4 PM. They played back a phone recording of someone calling the RAC to say they had broken down, then mid call the guy shouted "oh sh*t" and there was a crash and it cut off. The RAC said that was happening quite often.

If you do break down you should get out of the car and on to the verge at the side of the road. That way at least only the people who crash in to your car will be injured.

I don't like smart motorways at all.

Registered
Does no one else see the massive illogicality in this 'news'?
I can't view the video right now; I wonder if it contains anything relating to this:
Some manufacturers say it will be safe simply to come to a halt wherever you happen to be - even if you're in the fast lane of the motorway.
Because I can't quite imagine anyone ever saying that.

Registered
The reason I asked is that I had not heard any reports.
Crashes on the hard shoulder are almost daily I think - not news any more. Often it involves a distracted or sleepy driver drifting on to the hard shoulder and hitting a stationary vehicle. Since the drifting vehicle is likely to be travelling at 50-60 mph and doesn't brake before impact the results are seriously life threatening.
That's why the official advice is not to stay in your car when stopped there, even if it's raining. Be wet or be dead.

Registered
Because I can't quite imagine anyone ever saying that.
It's not a quote, but it's essentially what they are saying. The car stops in lane.

The one in the video pulls over off the road when it sees roadworks and the driver fails to take over. What it really needs is a cattle prod that emerges from the dashboard to shock you awake.

Registered
I didn't know there was no hard shoulder.
Well don't quote me, but my understanding of what 'smart motorway' means is that under normal conditions it is just a normal motorway with a hard shoulder. When traffic becomes very heavy the overhead gantries impose a 50 mph limit and open the hard shoulder as a running lane.

Refuges for vehicles are provided every so often, but if you can't get to one you are essentially going to be stranded on a very busy 50 mph road.

It's fundamentally an easier and cheaper way of increasing capacity than just making the road wider - and in urban areas that may not even be possible/practical.

Registered
Papers reported recently that there had been 4 deaths on the M1 smart section between Jns 30 & 35, or jns v close to that - may have been 30a & 35 or somesuch. I read a while back - maybe after the 1st/2nd such death - that the occupant of the stuck car had been killed as he was trying to exit the car by the passenger door. Poor guy. The sooner these idiotic smart motorways are scrapped, the better. I wouldn't be surprised if people start to avoid using the inside lane as a deliberate way to reduce deaths, and turn them back into a de-facto hard shoulder. I wouldn't blame them one bit. The emergency services said that they're finding it harder to get t accident sites as there's no clear route to get through traffic quickly when they need to, so presumably that will increase deaths statistically a bit as well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
8 Participants
JeffG
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing