Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if people start to avoid using the inside lane as a deliberate way to reduce deaths, and turn them back into a de-facto hard shoulder.
That's what I do. Never drive in that lane.

I just worry that the car might break down and I'd have no choice.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Don't they have cameras everywhere, so they can put up the red X if a lane is blocked further ahead? But I suppose by then it's too late.
Given how long it takes 'them' to turn the normal hazard signs on and off when there is an incident on a normal motorway, I have no faith in that system at all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
From my understanding, and speaking to people at Arup who are working on smart motorways, they work using radar built into the motorway. The radar detects a stopped car, or a car going at a different speed to the others and will automatically change the gantry signs for the previous 3 miles and call out the emergency services/ recovery. In practice however I don't think it works that well.

Sleeping in a self-driving car is still against the law, and will be dangerous until level 4 vehicles are implimented. A Tesla, for reference is level 2 working towards level 3.

·
Registered
986 Posts
In my travels on Smart motorways, I often see the 'Use hard Shoulder' signs lit up, but hardly anyone does so.
They'd rather form a queue in the outside lanes than move to the left, even to make progress!

In other words, Lane Discipline! I'd love to see those overhead signs used for some driver education sometimes.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
In my travels on Smart motorways, I often see the 'Use hard Shoulder' signs lit up, but hardly anyone does so.
They'd rather form a queue in the outside lanes than move to the left, even to make progress!

In other words, Lane Discipline! I'd love to see those overhead signs used for some driver education sometimes.
It's not just Smart motorways. I've been on the M4 in busy periods when everybody moves into the outside lane because it's slow moving and people are loath to undertake, leaving lanes 1 and 2 pretty much empty. What are you supposed to do if you are driving on Cruise Control at the limit in the nearside lane and traffic to the right of you slows down?*

When it's been really bad, before now I have left the motorway at the next exit and travelled on local roads to conserve my blood pressure. :)

* I'm sure the Highway Code has something to say about that - I know it says something about "slow moving traffic".

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
8 Participants
JeffG
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing