Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any EVs other than the Tesla with a self-parking feature? I drove a Citroen C4 Cactus demonstrator about 18 months ago and it could self park. The Cactus is a fairly cheap car so you'd think such a feature would be pretty common but it seems not. Do any of the current crop of EVs have a self park option?

·
1,524 Posts
Well... what type of self parking feature?

The FF91 prototype from Faraday Future parked itself at a parking lot during CES...

However, it didn't seem to u der stand the command to move to the center of the stage.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well... what type of self parking feature?

The FF91 prototype from Faraday Future parked itself at a parking lot during CES...

However, it didn't seem to u der stand the command to move to the center of the stage.
I mean you drive up to a space, press a button, and the car can parallel park itself into that space. I've been in a Tesla while it did it, and I've done it myself in a Cactus too. With all the 'tech' in EVs, I'd have thought it would be a common feature given something as cheap as a Cactus can do it.

·
1,524 Posts
I mean you drive up to a space, press a button, and the car can parallel park itself into that space. I've been in a Tesla while it did it, and I've done it myself in a Cactus too. With all the 'tech' in EVs, I'd have thought it would be a common feature given something as cheap as a Cactus can do it.
More than that... search the YT videos...

Here's one.

And the failure on stage.

·
Super Moderator
11,271 Posts
On the i3, the backup camera is annoyingly bundled with self-parking.

The i3 can robo park with that option package.

2018 LEAF is supposed to have Inelegant Drive 1.0. Or whatever Nissan are calling their useless to me Autopilot 1.0.

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
On the i3, the backup camera is annoyingly bundled with self-parking.

The i3 can robo park with that option package.

Annoyingly it can only parallel park, which I think is a cop out, how hard can it be to program it to reverse park into a space between two cars, or next to one car only, or even into any parking space between two white lines?

Also the parallel parking feature is very very slow, it can only see a space once it has past it by the length on the i3 pretty much, then it takes ages to go through the steps and park. it is fine if you are not in a hurry and have no one behind you for 60 seconds but I have often cancelled live attempts to use it as by the time it starts the reverse park you have another human driver parked 1ft from your bumper waitng for you to move and the i3 suddenly has no gap to get into.

I can parallel park five withn 15 seconds manually with the i3 with help from the reversing camara and sensors.

The only thing the Park Assist s much better at is measuring the size of a space and parking itself in a gap as a human I would dismiss as to small. But like I said, this will only work if you have no one behind you for about a minute or someone patient who leaves a cars width distance betwwen the rear of the i3 and their car so it can do the parking.

Still a gimmick really, until either all cars are self drive and wait or the system can find and park at human brain processing speeds with safety too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts