Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
Account Abandoned
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a heads up you can now officialy download and update your own infotainment and maps

Site opened officially this morning after working via a workaround for a couple of days.

Latest Maps have Elevation Data and few new tweaks including live sports results

The maps are 25 to 30gb a time and you need a minimum 32gb USB Stick (Advise 64gb)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just a heads up you can now officialy download and update your own infotainment and maps

Site opened officially this morning after working via a workaround for a couple of days.

Latest Maps have Elevation Data and few new tweaks including live sports results

The maps are 25 to 30gb a time and you need a minimum 32gb USB Stick (Advise 64gb)
Apparently no Kona Electric in the vehicle list. What did you choose?

·
Registered
199 Posts

How safe is it to do the update yourself? This stuff is pretty fundamental to the cars operation isn’t it?

If Hyundai is now facilitating DIY updates, will they help if things go wrong?

I guess in principle it is no different to updating my computer or the firmware on my drones: but it just feels more dangerous somehow….

·
Registered
Account Abandoned
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How safe is it to do the update yourself? This stuff is pretty fundamental to the cars operation isn’t it?

If Hyundai is now facilitating DIY updates, will they help if things go wrong?

I guess in principle it is no different to updating my computer or the firmware on my drones: but it just feels more dangerous somehow….
Just do as it says, leave the car on for the update and dont take the stick out till it finishes and reboots, it has enough storage that if the update fails it falls back to the old system anyway.

I have been doing the updates myself for well over a year, must have done 20 or so playing around and never had an issue. They have made it really simple, only thing is the time it takes to download due to large file size.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Can you do this in the car or do you have to download it to a pc/mac first?

·
Registered
Account Abandoned
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can you do this in the car or do you have to download it to a pc/mac first?
Has to be pc/mac. downloads via an updater programme and then to a USB stick and then to car.

@5GB Dealers will be able to do it, finding one that will and not just lie and say no update is available is another matter

Do wonder if dealers will start charging for the updates now users can do it themselves.

·
Registered
Account Abandoned
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Annoyingly it doesn't seem to be possible to find the current version before downloading it. Would also be nice to have an option for them to email you when it's updated.
Once you have downloaded a map and installed it you get a message at the bottom of the uploader saying you already have the latest version if you try to download it again

Product Font Communication Device Rectangle Gadget

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Has to be pc/mac. downloads via an updater programme and then to a USB stick and then to car.

@5GB Dealers will be able to do it, finding one that will and not just lie and say no update is available is another matter

Do wonder if dealers will start charging for the updates now users can do it themselves.
Just trying to download the updater program now. My broadband speed is around 200mb and this is downloading at 20! Very slow server. I do hope it is better at downloading the updates!

Reactions: stageshoot

·
Registered
339 Posts
My 2018 kona updated :) No issues, just worked. New icons and estimated range on map seems to have been fixed ( will fully test on long journey this weekend ).

I didn't spot "fancy" features like sports scores, I guess thats just the newer screens.

Shame Hyundai didn't release this site 3 years ago ....

·
Registered
Account Abandoned
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My 2018 kona updated :) No issues, just worked. New icons and estimated range on map seems to have been fixed ( will fully test on long journey this weekend ).

I didn't spot "fancy" features like sports scores, I guess thats just the newer screens.

Shame Hyundai didn't release this site 3 years ago ....
Yeah you need the blue link to get the live stuff ike sports pushed to your screen

·
Registered
Account Abandoned
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Can I use the same SD card that current softweare / maps are in the car? Just erase and copy the latest software?
Or do you use second card?
I can't help I am afraid as the newer cars don't have an SD card the unit has 128g.of internal memory and you update it with a USB stick

Hopefully someone with the earlier units will help. I remember when I hadi my first kina the dealer updated it using 2 sd cards 1 was a separate firmware update card and then the put new maps on the cars sd.

·
Registered
365 Posts
If its like mine which is a kia niro that uses a sd card, then yes but... before the official update site, I had to load card with the software update, put into car, it would then update the software. Then blank the card, load new maps and put into car and it stays there.

This new site doesn't say if need to do the same or if they have managed to change it so it updates both in one go. Need to ask customer services when I get a minute, before I do mine

1 - 20 of 59 Posts