Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Self Updater for Maps Now Officially Open for The UK

11K views 64 replies 25 participants last post by  Bluebeef 
#1 ·
Just a heads up you can now officialy download and update your own infotainment and maps

Site opened officially this morning after working via a workaround for a couple of days.

Latest Maps have Elevation Data and few new tweaks including live sports results

The maps are 25 to 30gb a time and you need a minimum 32gb USB Stick (Advise 64gb)

#3 ·
How safe is it to do the update yourself? This stuff is pretty fundamental to the cars operation isn’t it?

If Hyundai is now facilitating DIY updates, will they help if things go wrong?

I guess in principle it is no different to updating my computer or the firmware on my drones: but it just feels more dangerous somehow….

#4 ·
Just do as it says, leave the car on for the update and dont take the stick out till it finishes and reboots, it has enough storage that if the update fails it falls back to the old system anyway.

I have been doing the updates myself for well over a year, must have done 20 or so playing around and never had an issue. They have made it really simple, only thing is the time it takes to download due to large file size.

#10 ·
Has to be pc/mac. downloads via an updater programme and then to a USB stick and then to car.

@5GB Dealers will be able to do it, finding one that will and not just lie and say no update is available is another matter

Do wonder if dealers will start charging for the updates now users can do it themselves.

#15 ·
My 2018 kona updated :) No issues, just worked. New icons and estimated range on map seems to have been fixed ( will fully test on long journey this weekend ).

I didn't spot "fancy" features like sports scores, I guess thats just the newer screens.

Shame Hyundai didn't release this site 3 years ago ....

#16 ·
My 2018 kona updated :) No issues, just worked. New icons and estimated range on map seems to have been fixed ( will fully test on long journey this weekend ).

I didn't spot "fancy" features like sports scores, I guess thats just the newer screens.

Shame Hyundai didn't release this site 3 years ago ....
Yeah you need the blue link to get the live stuff ike sports pushed to your screen

#19 ·
I can't help I am afraid as the newer cars don't have an SD card the unit has 128g.of internal memory and you update it with a USB stick

Hopefully someone with the earlier units will help. I remember when I hadi my first kina the dealer updated it using 2 sd cards 1 was a separate firmware update card and then the put new maps on the cars sd.

#20 ·
If its like mine which is a kia niro that uses a sd card, then yes but... before the official update site, I had to load card with the software update, put into car, it would then update the software. Then blank the card, load new maps and put into car and it stays there.

This new site doesn't say if need to do the same or if they have managed to change it so it updates both in one go. Need to ask customer services when I get a minute, before I do mine

#29 ·
You can use existing card form the car. I asked the same question earlier and @mikeselectricstuff helped with that. So Ive done the update today and it works without issues - you dont need to buy a spare card. The card will be automatically formatted by Hyundai app.
Easy peasy ;)

#30 ·
I also just did my Ioniq 28 using the existing card.
Copied everything off just in case and then deleted the files and copied over the new downloaded ones.
As soon as I put the card in a message popped up asking if I wanted to upgrade. Took about 10 minutes and rebooted 4 times during the process.

#37 ·
#39 ·
I'm hoping the wise folk on this site can assist me as my dealer is baffled.
The salesman who sold me the car in August 2020 told me the maps updated themselves via an onboard SIM card. It would appear this was rubbish. I asked the service department if they could update the maps whilst I wait (my wife has dementia so I can't leave her). they agreed and it went ahead a couple of weeks ago. And this where my question begins; I liked the previous three screen layout Map / Radio /Battery etc but cannot find any way of duplicating this in the new system. All I can get is a constantly dark screen as below. any guidance deeply appreciated.
Gadget Font Electronic device Audio receiver Audio equipment

#40 ·
Not wise but believe that the Three Screen layout may no longer be possible with latest Update.

Does the below help with the Dark Screen problem?

[New] Navigation Map "Black" Theme Added
▷ The "Black" theme has been added so that the dark theme can be used for the Map during both daytime and nighttime
- Set the theme by going to [Settings] > [Navigation Settings] > [Map Screen] > [Map Color]

external_image

#43 ·
One of the bugs in the earlier software version that I had installed was the calendar link wasn't working correctly. The car could tell me which calendars were linked but it would never display any events from any of the calendars.

I checked today and I'm pleased to see that not only does the linked calendar now work, Hyundai have still managed to pull defeat from the jaws of victory.

World Sky Plant Land lot Building

Yes, I'm going to the theatre.

Font Display device Gadget Electronic device Multimedia

I can see an upcoming calendar event though not quite as pretty as it appears on my phone. It correctly shows me the time of the event, the location, and even the start of the description (though there doesn't seem to be any way to read the rest of the description). So far so good. It even looks like I can navigate to the location...
Gadget Font Multimedia Display device Technology

Sadly the navigation searches on the location title and ignores the helpful and correct address that it displayed moments earlier. In this case it has found the correct theatre just unfortunately the wrong side and while the address in the calendar event is about 100m from a car park the address here is the other side and not easily reachable. I can only imagine what would happen if it was a more generic location name.

#45 ·
Question to you all, did you select the 2019-2020 model or 2020 model and then clicked OK. My current model and SW version are not in the list, but I also don't seem to be seeing anything different when clicking a SW version in the list. Seems you can only select 2019-2020 model or 2020 model or any other and then proceed.

#46 ·
2020 model is the facelift version I think. I selected 2019-2020 model for my July 2020 Kona and it worked fine. I based that on the assumption that what we know of as the 2020 model was probably shipped in 2019 in Korea.

The firmware for 2020 and 2021 is all the same anyway, I think it's just the name of the .ver file that contains the manifest that differs. So long as you pick something with the Gen5W screen it will probably work.

Anyway the new version is dated 17th November. Maps seem unchanged but the rest of the files have changed. Pity there are no release notes other than the ones they gave us a couple of weeks ago.

#55 ·
Can anyone confirm if the downloaded files can just be copied over to the USB stick manually for the update to work, or do you have to use the updater app ?

After over 6 hours, the files finally downloaded to my laptop on my speedy.... internet connection through the updater app, but when it came to copying the files to the USB stick in the app, it wouldn't recognise any USB sticks attached (through the app), and ended up back at the home screen where the only option appears to be to go through the download option again to get to the copy to USB stick option, and I can already see the files on the laptop hard drive.

Many thanks

#56 ·
Can anyone confirm if the downloaded files can just be copied over to the USB stick manually for the update to work, or do you have to use the updater app ?

After over 6 hours, the files finally downloaded to my laptop on my speedy.... internet connection through the updater app, but when it came to copying the files to the USB stick in the app, it wouldn't recognise any USB sticks attached (through the app), and ended up back at the home screen where the only option appears to be to go through the download option again to get to the copy to USB stick option, and I can already see the files on the laptop hard drive.

Many thanks
Yes you can drag and drop onto to USB stick. Just make sure that when the files downloaded they weren't put into a single folder. If they did, open that folder, select all, and copy them onto the usb. The car needs the Appupgrade file and 2 others on the root drive.

#59 ·
The update in the car was actually easier than described.... Plug USB stick in, turn on engine/motor, and car automatically detected the update software was on the USB stick and proceeded to validate the data on the stick and installed it. Took a little time (about 1.5 hours in total), but finished and working under the new software now. No need to select any update options on the menu...

#60 ·
There was a new update released a couple of days ago, which I installed yesterday. No issues so far but can confirm I lost the ability to choose the default level of regen for each driving mode, and the ability to choose eco/normal climate modes within the eco driving mode.

#64 · (Edited)
Can anyone who has updated with the 14th December update confirm whether they still have the drive mode options within the car menus? You used to be able to set the default regen level for each drive mode, and a choice of eco or normal climate mode when in the eco drive mode. This seems to have gone in the latest update, so I'm curious if this is correct or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.