Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan E-NV200 Tekna Panel Van, 24kWh Battery, Kia Soul EV 27 kWh, BMW i3 94ah REX
158 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,421 Posts
Yes, @Dalathegreat has produced a file on Github to 3D print or will sell you a complete plug via his business (Dala´s EV Repair | Battery repairs and replacements for electric vehicles) that allows you to power the pack up (for testing but it could go the whole way) and then you could connect it a suitable inverter/charger. The issue comes as to what life you would expect to get out of the modules and whether you want to use the unit whole at up to 400 volts or would prefer to break the case and just utilise some of the modules in alternative casings at lower voltage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Has anyone come up with a way of setting one up as a domestic storage battery?
If you open it up and use the modules you can easily make a "powerwall" set up. Many many people have done this. Check out jehu garcia on youtube for how to's

I am selling the pack at about 120£ a kwh which makes it a great deal for static storage, specially given their good health. Honestly I would do this myself but I do not have a house to power...

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,421 Posts
Otherwise you'll need to open up the pack and re-arrange the modules according to your voltage needs
and replace the BMS with another which may or may not be a good idea.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Would this not be a good upgrade option to stick 62kwh cells into maybe?
Although thinking about it maybe ripping the cooling bits out of it and sticking them into a 62kwh pack would be the way to go for a van conversion, then with another Muxsan range extender, 22kwh AC & 100kw chademo you'd have a good 82kwh van with a healthy rate of charge and cooling capacity for the battery pack as well...

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,421 Posts
The cooling in the e-NV200 battery pack is more for the electronics than the battery modules, and the 62kWh modules are considerably too large to fit into the case.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Would this not be a good upgrade option to stick 62kwh cells into maybe?
Although thinking about it maybe ripping the cooling bits out of it and sticking them into a 62kwh pack would be the way to go for a van conversion, then with another Muxsan range extender, 22kwh AC & 100kw chademo you'd have a good 82kwh van with a healthy rate of charge and cooling capacity for the battery pack as well...
You are limited with the available Nissan e-nv200 batteries unfortunately so that is only the 24 or 40. There does not exist a 62kwh version for the e-nv200. Due to the extra liquid cooling you cannot just swap a leaf battery into it either.
The 22kwh extender would take too much space in the back of the van and not leave enough room for the campervan conversion I am doing. The underbody extender of 7.6kwh could be an option, but for the price it is not quite worth it to me right now.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Sorry I was meaning the modules from the 24kwh could be sold off but the cooling parts retrofitted into a leaf 62kwh pack to make a franken pack with larger capacity and cooling for anyone doing much longer trips or wanting to hold rapid charge speeds longer. Could technically adjust the cooling a little to cover the stack at the back where the most heat builds up too.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,421 Posts
Could technically adjust the cooling a little to cover the stack at the back where the most heat builds up too.
I'd love to see a way to retrofit cooling to the LEAF pack. But the eNV200 system is not a sound starting point IMO as it only cools the front of the pack by wafting air vaguely in its direction at best.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
This is why I was thinking it would be a good basis. I've not seen many if any decent pics of the setup on the env compared to the leaf to show what it does and not many people take them apart.

·
Registered
Nissan E-NV200 Tekna Panel Van, 24kWh Battery, Kia Soul EV 27 kWh, BMW i3 94ah REX
158 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,421 Posts
This is why I was thinking it would be a good basis. I've not seen many if any decent pics of the setup on the env compared to the leaf to show what it does and not many people take them apart.
Take a look at this thread where it was discussed before:

Rapidgate on 2020 ENV200?

The battery on the eNV200 is sealed, no air enters or leaves it. As shown in the picture above there's a small condenser/radiator and hamster wheel fan to cool the electronics which itself is fed from the A/C. It has only a minimal effect on cooling the battery cells, particularly the rear stack which get hottest.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.