Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Perhaps you could elaborate. Are you finding it difficult to sell your own EV? Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Has anyone had any difficulty selling their EV privately?
Never tried, the only one we bought we are keeping and others were pcp / lease. Is the car in question out of Battery warranty due to mileage or age (over 100k or a 2011/12 model.)?

I guess the general public are not clued up on EV's so much as ICE cars, but looking at residuals low demand is not an issue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies. I was wondering if 'the public' might be reticent about buying an EV privately, due to unfamiliarity.

·
Premium Member
11,312 Posts
I was let down by a dealer who was supposed to sell my 2018 ZE40 for me, so I tried to sell privately early August for 5 weeks and failed. Car was perfect and £1500 cheaper than dealer prices and I didn't get a single enquiry! Sold it to another dealer in end at a fair price.

I was glad I tried, but I think that where cars are in good supply most people will just buy from a dealer, especially at the price (£12K+) I was trying to get. Many buyers at that level want finance and trade in and (despite my car having a warranty) peace of mind. Incidentally, I am not sure battery rental was issue as people are buying them from dealers.

Where cars are cheaper or harder to find used, then I guess people will be pushed into looking at private sales and sorting own finance, car sale, etc? I know others on here have struggled to sell their EVs - and not just Zoes ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I sold my Ampera in March, I advertised it well ahead of getting my replacement car, as it I thought it might be difficult to sell, I just advertised it in a few local Facebook selling groups. I was contacted next day by a secondhand car dealer and after test driving the car, they bought it for what I wanted. Seven months later, they still haven't sold it though.

·
Premium Member
11,312 Posts
I sold my Ampera in March, I advertised it well ahead of getting my replacement car, as it I thought it might be difficult to sell, I just advertised it in a few local Facebook selling groups. I was contacted next day by a secondhand car dealer and after test driving the car, they bought it for what I wanted. Seven months later, they still haven't sold it though.
I suspect a lot of EVs listed privately get bought by dealers. I hear nice Ampera are still selling OK as a well built, comfortable car with long EV range, but (sadly) poor support from Vauxhall. I loved my two and was sad to sell second, but values where high in 2018. Maybe the dealer (or family) is driving it?

·
Registered
42 Posts
yep... traying to sell it for 2 or 3 mouths... nothing... give beck to dealer... they sell it with 1500 more than i asked in a week.... The car still have 2 years guarantee from pruducer...

·
Registered
428 Posts
Over the past 4 years, sold our i3 and then i3S within days of listing them for what we paid for them.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I tend to find private sellers are a lot more honest than dealers and will tell you about all the cars quirks. Dealers less so, traders pretending to be private sellers are by far the worst. But even so I would look to a private seller first every purchase. I guess some cars are purchased second hand on finance. Hard for private sellers to sell to this crowd.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,218 Posts
Tried and failed to sell my battery hire Zoe. Traded in the end for about what I had listed it for sale, it resold from dealer for about £1500 more.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Theres definitely an age range where selling ANY car privately is difficult. If its under 2 years old, your generally in the zone of buyers who likely want finance and the warranty backup of a dealer. A savvy buyer might see the private sale as a good deal and sort their own finance but its rare.

When my Grandad passed he had an SUV/Crossover thing (Vauxhall Mokka i think?) which was a bit over a year old. Dealers were selling them for 13-14k at similar ages. WBAC et al offered a bit under 9, so they advertised it privately for 10k, then 9.5k and didnt get a sniff of interest.
Another friend had a similar situation with a 2yo Fiat 500, huge chasm between dealer price and WBAC for a similar model and found it totally impossible to sell it privately, It needed to go as the car was totally unsuitable and they ended up just having to take the WBAC price and take the massive hit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts