Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
SU-EV convert
Jaguar iPace 2020
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am considering selling my A4 convertible privately but wondering about 2 things :

• Test drives : I read I shouldn't let people test drive as even if their insurance covers for driving other people's car it will only be third party cover. What's your view ?
  • Payment : I am expecting 5.5k + and not sure how to request payment for that amount as it sounds a lot to receive cash. Will people accept to bank transfer before coming to pick up ?
Any experience and advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
I've always let them test drive; I wouldn't buy one without. By all means ask for their insurance documentation and driving licence (both parts). You could also ask them to sign a form saying that they agree to pay for the repairs in the event of an accident.

I'd always go with cash. It's not that much! Just as you may not trust them, there are more scam sellers out there than scam buyers.

Trust your instincts, if they seem dodgy, keep clear!

In terms of advertising, I'd go Gumtree, PistonHeads, E-bay and AutoTrader in that order.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I would only allow test drive if vehicle of equal value left as security (or fit wife) and insist on cleared funds (cash or bank transfer) definitely no paypal !!! Just sold our mx5 ( to buy our ev) and buyer used our wifi to do instant bank transfer no probs.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Personally I always let people take test drives if they seem like a serious buyer - make a judgement call on the person at the time.

I would insist on cash only for that amount.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Faster bank transfer is not an issue. I have recently received two large sums for my Burgman 650 and my LEAF. They used their smart phones with their banking app then I also just checked my account using the same method. Once it's in then it's fully cleared funds.

Reactions: Olivier

·
Registered
340 Posts
Yeh test drives are always a bit of a problem but it would be unreasonable to refuse. maybe a cursory go round the block at least and go with them (don't accept I'll leave my keys with you trick - their car could be stolen).

These days never accept cash. Its not necessary and how do you know if its real money (also he and his mates know you've got thousands of pounds on you / in the house!). 2 easy options 1) he pays cash into your bank account, any branch and it will clear immediately (i often do the car handover literally at the bank) or 2) these days any idiot should be able to post it directly into your account on-line and you can then check immediately. There used to be a delay but its instant nowadays.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
If you are doing it by BT, it's always best that both of you ring your banks in advance and let them know what's going to be happening. Some banks for eg have a daily limit that can be moved - but you should be ok round the £5k mark.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
For faster payments I wouldn't worry. When I sold my SAAB a few years back we did that through a bank branch. But that was 14k before FP existed. Asked where he banked, we had an account there too, went in and explained to the bank what we wanted to do - they did a cash withdrawal without handing over cash, then paid it into mine. To be fair, they did invoke security protocol and invite the chap into a side room to check a few things - they wanted to know if I'd brought him there under duress and if he'd like them to call the police. :rolleyes: Good job by the cashier!

Sold the X-Trail a few weeks back for 8k via faster payments. Much simpler!

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,508 Posts
Just a small word of warning, not all bank's mobile apps allow you to set up a payee and immediately send money to that new payee without some sort of validation. Some require the payees to be set up on their online banking site using two factor authentication before any payments can be made.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Just a small word of warning, not all bank's mobile apps allow you to set up a payee and immediately send money to that new payee without some sort of validation. Some require the payees to be set up on their online banking site using two factor authentication before any payments can be made.
Good point. Nearly caused me a problem on the X-Trail. Nationwide being one of them, nearly caused a problem but I was able to offer up a chip&pin thingie from an.old account after a quick rummage upstairs. :cool:

Problem solved by taking a deposit from interested buyers. Something I also have never done :p

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
True, my first direct account changed recently so you can't set up new payee without using the special code generator that I don't routinely carry around with ne.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts