Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So..today I did something I haven't done since my last car but one.

I finished a country walk, which had been quite warm, so I had put my fleece with my car key in the pocket inside my rucksack. I walked up to the car, opened the boot by pressing the release button, changed out of my boots, then threw my rucksack in the boot and shut the hatch.

And realised I was now locked out of the car, because I'd never unlocked it, and the boot and door locks don't work with the key in the boot inside a rucksack. Fortunately my daughter was with friends about 6 miles from me, so I called her to go to my house, get the spare car key and meet me. Something to add to the list of 'idiot father' stories she can come up with.....

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't think the Ampera would do it either! I think the problem may have been that the key was in a fleece in a rucksack in the boot section and the car just didn't detect it.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
It's easily done isn't it. Luckily the LEAF gives me the beeeeeeeeeeeeeep when I leave my keys in the car and press the lock button on the handle :)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's easily done isn't it. Luckily the LEAF gives me the beeeeeeeeeeeeeep when I leave my keys in the car and press the lock button on the handle :)
Try it inside a coat inside a bag inside the boot, go on, I dare you Leaf people to try it :D

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also Dean, I wasn't trying to lock the car remember..it was already locked.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I will give it a go for you hopbackguy. Just let me find my spare keys first :)

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Empathy.

My (worst) example was a taxi ride for my good lady wife to bring a spare key from Northampton to the 2003 DTM meeting at Donington Park. Bloody Ford and their lack of boot button...

·
Registered
704 Posts
So..today I did something I haven't done since my last car but one.

I finished a country walk, which had been quite warm, so I had put my fleece with my car key in the pocket inside my rucksack. I walked up to the car, opened the boot by pressing the release button, changed out of my boots, then threw my rucksack in the boot and shut the hatch.

And realised I was now locked out of the car, because I'd never unlocked it, and the boot and door locks don't work with the key in the boot inside a rucksack. Fortunately my daughter was with friends about 6 miles from me, so I called her to go to my house, get the spare car key and meet me. Something to add to the list of 'idiot father' stories she can come up with.....
Last night we went out (45 miles) and on arrival found that the lock would not work on the rear door and also the drivers door would not lock either. However I quickly solved the problem and got my wife to lock the car. It turned to be a similar problem to yours except that my keys were in my jeans at home.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
I nearly did the same just after getting the car but thankfully it detected the key (in my jacket in the boot), beeped quickly three times and opened the driver's door! Well done Ampera :)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I nearly did the same just after getting the car but thankfully it detected the key (in my jacket in the boot), beeped quickly three times and opened the driver's door! Well done Ampera :)
Maybe I'll buy a thinner jacket.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts