Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three years ago @dpeilow and I drove from John o' Groats to Land's End in ~30 hours in my Tesla Roadster using public charging.

http://zerocarbonworld.org/news/landmark-trip-attracts-national-media

This year we hope that 5+ Roadsters will make the reverse trip from Land's End to John o' Groats in ~24 hours using public charging. Prizes for the quickest trip time and lowest energy consumption will be given. The route and charging strategy are up to the teams and IMO this is where the event will be won or lost.

The exact date is to be confirmed but I wanted to get a place holder out there and suggested start dates are Tuesday 9th September and Tuesday 16th September.

ZCW hope to offer subsidised accommodation with slow charging for the nights before and after the event.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Would any Model S owners be welcome?

There's still a big question mark hanging over finalising my deal, but if everything lines up, that's the kind if time I hope to go for the Guinness record attempt. It would be comforting to know I was sharing the journey with drivers of your experience.:)

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would any Model S owners be welcome?
We wan't to keep this for Roadsters at this time to minimise the start/end charging and accommodation logistics. I also want to start a series of annual competitions between classes of identical cars because that will be a real test of charging/driving strategy.

If a ride comes up in a Roadster I'll let you know :)

I also personally think a Model S should try and blow away our times as soon as the SuperCharger network is half decent (or you have a CHAdeMO adaptor)... if you drive it today you'll probably have the same (or even worse) journey times as the Roadster and I don't think that's a message we want to promote to the car buying public.

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
Prizes for the quickest trip time...
Kevin, AFAIK, that would make this a race and you might run the real risk of prosecution for holding a race on public roads. Also racing on public roads would invalidate all insurances.

Perhaps this aspect should be reviewed ;)

I wish I had a Roadster! I have experience of doing long trips in a Roadster (hint, hint!). I could ask Markus for a reference :)

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kevin, AFAIK, that would make this a race and you might run the real risk of prosecution for holding a race on public roads.
I checked this with the organisers of the British Road Rallying LEJOG event. I was told that the fact that we will spend 50% of our time stationary (charging), take different routes, and have different start times qualifies this as an endurance event not a race. I'm also in discussions with my insurers and may modify our goals once I have their comments :)

·
Registered
549 Posts
Sorry, but I have to dip out .. but I will follow with interest (probably from Korea / Taiwan).

Still I'd love to meet up with all fellow (and potential / past) Roadster owners. We have a shared interest .. especially on keeping them going once out of warrantee. I have a proposal about servicing/repairs to group discuss, but not yet publicly.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Sorry, but I have to dip out .. but I will follow with interest (probably from Korea / Taiwan).

Still I'd love to meet up with all fellow (and potential / past) Roadster owners. We have a shared interest .. especially on keeping them going once out of warrantee. I have a proposal about servicing/repairs to group discuss, but not yet publicly.
I'm out of warranty already and did not opt for the extended warranty... Perhaps a foolish mistake but with only having had one issue that Ive since learned to manage with my driving habits, it was difficult to justify putting down the money to 'hope' something went wrong so the warranty was justified. Were not just talking a few hundred pounds here! Quite a few Thousand :-0

·
Registered
621 Posts
Sorry, to get back on topic, I should be around for this and I've put it in my diary.

As always, schedules with work can change so cannot 100% confirm my entry however I am seriously keen and will be there if possible.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts