Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bit late to this (yesterday's news today!) but here's a lazy copy and paste of some very good news for and from Nissan in the UK:
  • Sales of Nissan LEAF in the UK broke records in plate-change September
  • Biggest single Nissan LEAF sales month ever for any European country
  • Nissan LEAF outsold combined pure EV competition by more than two to one
  • Nissan LEAF remains the UK’s best-selling pure electric car in 2014
The 100% electric Nissan LEAF has proved itself once again to be the most popular pure electric vehicle in the UK, with sales breaking national and European records in September.

Figures released today by the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) show the Nissan LEAF clocked up 851 sales during September, up 156% on the same month last year (332 sold), and topping March 2014 (the previous record month) when 630 were sold. This strong performance was not only a record for the UK, but represents the largest volume of Nissan LEAFs ever sold in one month in a European market*.

Sales of the British-built Nissan LEAF have already bettered the total number of units sold in 2013 (1,812 in total), with 2,969 cars sold so far this year, proving that the model’s practicality and low running costs, coupled with its unique driving experience, are keeping it ahead of the competition.

Dig deeper into today’s figures released by SMMT, and the data reveals that the Nissan LEAF sold more than double the volume of all other pure electric models combined in September, securing a 70% share of the pure electric vehicle market in the month**. In fact, the data also confirms that the Nissan LEAF is the best-selling pure electric car so far this year, achieving a 66% share of the market.

Paul O’Neill, EV Manager, Nissan Motor GB Limited said: ”Sales of the all-electric Nissan LEAF continue to go from strength to strength and it’s no surprise that the vehicle that pioneered the EV sector in the UK continues to blaze the trail for the rest of its class.”

“September’s result gives us a clear indication that motorists are beginning to recognise that switching to a Nissan LEAF is not a compromise but an opportunity.”

“With a performance that matches many of its traditionally-powered competitors and the availability of charging infrastructure accelerating, the LEAF truly is a compelling choice and we fully expect to see sales continue to flourish.”

The number of Nissan-compatible rapid chargers available in the UK has now reached 366, with 170 of these installed at key motorway service stations along the Ecotricity Electric Highway. This means that almost 80% of motorway service stations across the country are covered, with over 95% planned by the end of the year. And with the service operating on a free-to-use basis for the foreseeable future, it’s easy to see why the Nissan LEAF continues to spearhead the pure electric market.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Great news indeed, particularly salient comment:

“....... motorists are beginning to recognise that switching to a Nissan LEAF is not a compromise but an opportunity.”

I've had massive interest in my Leaf since I bought it just over a month ago, not just from friends and work colleagues but from the public as well. Indeed every rapid charge is usually accompanied by a 15 minute conversation with someone having a look round the chargers. ( I also mention the SpeakEV forums and the forthcoming ChargeBump to any other EV driver there too ;-)

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Yep. It would appear that the general motoring public are starting to realize that 80-90 ish miles is enough. The technology is ready.

I struggle to understand why anyone who could afford a Leaf and has a suitable usage profile would persist with a similar priced ICE car & the associated fuel costs. My Leaf is the cheapest car I've ever run by a country mile.

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
I struggle to understand why anyone who could afford a Leaf and has a suitable usage profile would persist with a similar priced ICE car & the associated fuel costs. My Leaf is the cheapest car I've ever run by a country mile.
There's always a lag before the wider population catches on to anything new and different. All the theatrical nonsense about EVs on Top Gear and in the mainstream media undoubtedly alienated many people. As many here report, when people actually know someone with an EV they take interest and begin to appreciate how they might benefit.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
There's always a lag before the wider population catches on to anything new and different. All the theatrical nonsense about EVs on Top Gear and in the mainstream media undoubtedly alienated many people. As many here report, when people actually know someone with an EV they take interest and begin to appreciate how they might benefit.
True, true.

In the meantime, us EV owners can waft around on a wave of serene smugness :)

I reckon we must be on the cusp of a great wake-up though. I see at least 1 other leaf every day now, no matter where I'm going. Last week I saw 4 different Leaves(?) in one day, within 5 miles of home.

(I've still not seen an i3 in the wild....)

·
Registered
536 Posts
Agreed, I think we're going to see a lot more about in the near future, good news for EV drivers as a whole, particularly relating to public charging pricing, and for development of future vehicles. Bad news for charge rage (sorry queing). Unfortunately as the great take up moves on, expect to see subsidies and tax breaks disappear too.

I think if Nissan in particular really want to get selling Leafs, then they should be encouraging much longer test drives, I asked a couple of dealers if I could have one for a couple of days but without much enthusiasm. Nobody argues the car is lovely to drive, but that's not the main issue for folk new to EV ownership, it's whether or not it will fit in with your lifestyle / routine and you can only gauge that from a few days with the vehicle IMO. The car should sell itself then.

·
Glyn Hopkin EV Business Development Manager
36 Posts
Agreed, I think we're going to see a lot more about in the near future, good news for EV drivers as a whole, particularly relating to public charging pricing, and for development of future vehicles. Bad news for charge rage (sorry queing). Unfortunately as the great take up moves on, expect to see subsidies and tax breaks disappear too.

I think if Nissan in particular really want to get selling Leafs, then they should be encouraging much longer test drives, I asked a couple of dealers if I could have one for a couple of days but without much enthusiasm. Nobody argues the car is lovely to drive, but that's not the main issue for folk new to EV ownership, it's whether or not it will fit in with your lifestyle / routine and you can only gauge that from a few days with the vehicle IMO. The car should sell itself then.
Hi Rupert

I'm actively offering and advertising 7 day test drives on our EV range for exactly that reason. People need to work out that it can fit most lifestyles. My demo's are currently booked out back to back for this month.

Great figures from Nissan and perfect timing as I hit the road looking for new business

Cheers
Darren

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hi Darren, good to know, I ended up logging my mileage / routes over a couple of months and working out what journeys could have been made in the Leaf and where I could have charged to keep me on the road, a lengthy process! I worked out at about 900 miles a month a ended up with a PCP on a 2nd hand Leaf with 2000 miles on it. So far I'm averaging 1500 miles a month :-/ so there might be a bit of a penalty at the end of the term unless I opt to buy the car afterwards.

Also a little disconcerting was some of the Salesmen's 'advice' ...... to quote one of them ...' you definitely should go for one with a solar spoiler as it's good for up to 10 miles extra range on sunny days....' Like I said, a little disconcerting. On the various test drives I took before buying I had loads of questions and only came away with 50% of the answers most of the time. Fortunately I was able to answer the rest from SpeakEV and Leaftalk. They really are a great resource!

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Also a little disconcerting was some of the Salesmen's 'advice' ...... to quote one of them ...' you definitely should go for one with a solar spoiler as it's good for up to 10 miles extra range on sunny days....'
o_O

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I thought the solar panel was only connected to the 12v battery. That's what we were told when we bought ours.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I thought the solar panel was only connected to the 12v battery. That's what we were told when we bought ours.
Correct, but the 12V battery gets recharged as/when necessary by drawing power from the HV battery. The solar PV panels on my garage roof (~19m^2) generate 2,100 kWh/year, which is enough for ~7,500 miles (due to ~15% loss through Nissan charger converting 230V AC to 400V DC).

Solar PV panel on the Leaf spoiler creates <=1 kWh/year (so ~3 miles benefit per year). Joke or what?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Correct, but the 12V battery gets recharged as/when necessary by drawing power from the HV battery. The solar PV panels on my garage roof (~19m^2) generate 2,100 kWh/year, which is enough for ~7,500 miles (due to ~15% loss through Nissan charger converting 230V AC to 400V DC).

Solar PV panel on the Leaf spoiler creates <=1 kWh/year (so ~3 miles benefit per year). Joke or what?
My point exactly!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm one of the September car sales.
Huddersfield Pentagon dealers are very good. They provided us with a car for the weekend, which sold it for us. From the sales side they have provided us with a great experience, from looking after our 2 children as we negotiated a deal to a bouquet of flowers that were presented to my wife as we picked up the keys to our new car.
They seem to have perfectly complimented the excitement of own a leaf.

·
Registered
536 Posts
@papacroft Good for you! Hope you're loving the Leaf! Always good to hear about positive dealer experiences; they deserve the business. I still can't understand how they can vary so much. My ICE car is a VW and I can't compliment our local VW dealer enough, they've never been less than exemplary; despite some pretty serious reliability issues on the various VW's I've owned. Yet my experiences (now owning my 5th Nissan) with the local Nissan dealership(s) have always been woeful. After we sold the Qashqai, and after never being let down once by any of the Nissans we've had, I vowed that I wouldn't be buying another one owing to the miserable dealer experiences........ (Then I went and bought a Leaf ;-)

My wife used to be an engineer at NTCE, Cranfield and it was always a bit of an inside joke that they put all the effort in to make good cars but the brand was being let down by the dealerships, granted that was 7 years ago though. People's perception of quality (and thus brand strength) is so affected by the whole ownership and aftersales experience, it's crucial to get it right; particularly in such a competitive and saturated market.

On a positive note, just done 2000 miles in mine today and enjoying every mile I do in the car, it continues to exceed my expectations as does the Electric Highway; which has enabled me to do far more journeys in the car than I expected to be able to, just waiting on my home charger now........

1 - 15 of 15 Posts