Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rented an e-Tron Sportback over the weekend. Beautiful machine, goes and grips like I’ve never seen, but… how do you ever park it without a creep mode? My experience was this…

• Apply throttle to find it’s not enough to disengage the parking brake
  • Boot it
  • Go shooting backwards
  • Panic brake
  • Move foot off brake
  • Car starts rolling in the other direction towards traffic, even with auto hold on
  • Try to modulate the throttle somewhere between the two extremes, end up awkwardly rocking back and forth like some kind of madman
  • Eventually manage to somehow park this £90k hulk that doesn’t belong to me
  • Change trousers and apologise to half of Milton Keynes

This model didn’t have auto park, which I’d imagine makes it easier, but seriously… why did they not include a creep mode?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,596 Posts
It is a big beasty, but then I’m used the the Model X.

I found the 360 degree cameras invaluable.

·
Registered
105 Posts
You actually get used to it and can actually release the handbrake manually as you are doing things.

Reactions: TJEV

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
😂 10/10 responses and a relatable photo. Good job chaps

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,596 Posts
My experience is you don’t worry about the finer points of parking with consideration to anyone else if you drive one of these.
Good point. Was then OP using two parking spaces as recommended in the handbook?

Also, I assume the indicator stalks are an optional extra?

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,465 Posts
The hill holder/EPB is always an interesting interaction. I had that fun with a Soul EV which did have creep but again if you reversed on a slope it sent it cock eyed so you'd shoot backwards rather quickly. Honda E did similar as well. Corsa doesn't. Cars with forward only hill holder seem to be less bother.

If the Teslas have no creep on but also no manual EPB what do they do? Or are they just sensible and take off the EPB far more smoothly without needing to use much of a push on the accelerator?

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
The hill holder/EPB is always an interesting interaction. I had that fun with a Soul EV which did have creep but again if you reversed on a slope it sent it cock eyed so you'd shoot backwards rather quickly. Honda E did similar as well. Corsa doesn't. Cars with forward only hill holder seem to be less bother.

If the Teslas have no creep on but also no manual EPB what do they do? Or are they just sensible and take off the EPB far more smoothly without needing to use much of a push on the accelerator?
The Model 3 without creep was brilliant to reverse up our drive, very smooth and controllable and it would just sit on the slope and not roll if you lifted your foot off, thanks to the very good hold capability. The I-Pace isn't as good, and needs a bit more patience to reverse up smoothly, but is fine, and a great deal better than my old Prius, with it's bonkers always on creep mode. I hate creep with a passion, it's just an artificial thing engineered in to make cars feel like they have the same defect as a 1960's automatic gearbox.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tesla has a creep mode. I drove it like every other auto or EV.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan leaf
148 Posts
I rented an e-Tron Sportback over the weekend. Beautiful machine, goes and grips like I’ve never seen, but… how do you ever park it without a creep mode? My experience was this…

• Apply throttle to find it’s not enough to disengage the parking brake
  • Boot it
  • Go shooting backwards
  • Panic brake
  • Move foot off brake
  • Car starts rolling in the other direction towards traffic, even with auto hold on
  • Try to modulate the throttle somewhere between the two extremes, end up awkwardly rocking back and forth like some kind of madman
  • Eventually manage to somehow park this £90k hulk that doesn’t belong to me
  • Change trousers and apologise to half of Milton Keynes

This model didn’t have auto park, which I’d imagine makes it easier, but seriously… why did they not include a creep mode?
Where did you rent it from if you don't mind me asking?
Was looking to rent an EV for a week for a long trip (700 mile round trip) and my leaf 30kwh isn't suitable

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Was from the EV Experience Center but they’ve fully booked the e-Tron(s) until they go back to Audi, so no more slots will be available. I don’t think their mileage allowances would accommodate that anyway, it’s 100mi/24h + 25p/mi additional.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan leaf
148 Posts
Was from the EV Experience Center but they’ve fully booked the e-Tron(s) until they go back to Audi, so no more slots will be available. I don’t think their mileage allowances would accommodate that anyway, it’s 100mi/24h + 25p/mi additional.
Ok cool, I had a feeling it was them. Yep they are fully booked. I've booked the ID3 for 8 days and get 400 miles. I couldn't get hold of the ID4

·
Registered
Puma GTE > Suzuki Jimny > BMW Z4 > Cupra Leon ST
101 Posts
It is a big beasty, but then I’m used the the Model X.

I found the 360 degree cameras invaluable.
Oh I envy your cameras...

I assumed every car had them as Standard when I ordered my Cupra Leon and it came only is a park sensor on the back and nothing on the front!

It has the camera for the lane assist but no rear camera!!

Comming from a Jimny and a Z4 it was interesting to relearn how to park something that my wife classify as a "Whale"

·
Registered
616 Posts
Also, I assume the indicator stalks are an optional extra?
Don't be silly. That's just the Italian version. As somebody who lived in Italy near the border with France and Switzerland I can assure you that a couple of alpine tunnels can make an amazing difference to driving styles!

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,596 Posts
Oh I envy your cameras...

I assumed every car had them as Standard when I ordered my Cupra Leon and it came only is a park sensor on the back and nothing on the front!

It has the camera for the lane assist but no rear camera!!

Comming from a Jimny and a Z4 it was interesting to relearn how to park something that my wife classify as a "Whale"
Despite the cameras, every time I rented that car it had new scratches on it from car park walls.

No helping some people.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I'm intrigued by all this. I've had an eTron 55 (the original, full fat SUV) from new since 2019, done over 45,000 miles. I find it straightforward to manoeuvre - yes, it's a big car, but the 360 degree cameras are very good and the accelerator response is linear and predictable. I thought I would miss creep but absolutely don't. I really don't recognise the problems the OP cites. Either the software control has been changed for the worse in the new model, or it's just a case of getting used to it.

Reactions: TJEV

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I’ve never driven an auto without creep before, so yes it’s purely an individual issue.

That said, it would prevent me from buying one as it’s a very different control method (for parking at least) to what I’m used to and I wouldn’t feel comfortable with it.

The size was no issue thanks to the cameras - it was purely the forward and backward movement when parking I couldn’t get along with.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts