Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car had its first service done today, but not the update, even though the central booking service had specifically mentioned it. Presumably this came as news to our local Hyundai garage, as they did not have the necessary dongle and have to order one.
Suggest confirming in advance that the local garage has already ordered in the necessary equipment if you don't want to have two visits.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
our local Hyundai garage, as they did not have the necessary dongle and have to order one
That's an excuse - it surely is downloaded through the standard Hyundai service system. Was the dangerous tech that knows how to use it off today?

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Kona Premium SE 64kWh, Ceramic Blue
48 Posts
Yes it's an excuse, but post lockdown I think you should cut them some slack for weeks.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
They don't deserve any slack for being incompetent. The bulletin went out some time back as others have had the update. Once again the customer has to tell the dealership what to do...

Reactions: tanelv

·
Registered
481 Posts
Still waiting from the December service when they fluffed it (update) as they did not have it ready to run. I am Cutting them some slack as it was booked in for March and then............ Going in shortly once they clear the more important jobs.
At least I will get the newest update with the improved charging parameters.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Our update appointment has been postponed another week as the dongle still hasn't been sent out; I queried why it couldn't be done online or with an SD card as described above and the explanation I was given was that their broadband wasn't good enough and it could damage the car if it failed part way through. Not sure that makes sense, as presumably the online bit is getting data onto the SD card and if there was a problem you could just wipe it and start again? But the garage is some way out of town and Herefordshire broadband is notoriously poor, so maybe there is some justification.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
But the garage is some way out of town and Herefordshire broadband is notoriously poor, so maybe there is some justification.
The county has a deserved reputation for poor infrastructure, but Callow is on the A49 which is a fibre backbone. There's a local CIC that provides full fibre to premises and the infrastructure is capable of Gigabit (1,000Mbps) speeds as currently installed. So if the dealership are not on it that's their fault, or they are lying to you.
I'd threaten them with complaining to Hyundai GB if they cannot do the most basic work for modern cars.

·
Registered
236 Posts
My dealer simply downloaded most recent software to their SD card (on Monday) and updated everything during 20K service. Then they installed most recent maps. They told me they need to do it in 2-step process: first software, them maps and it takes up to 2hrs.
I can't quite understand why they need a dongle shipped to them??? We have internet these days :)

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
If the process some kind soul posted on Facebook the other day is true, the "dongle" is simply a PC SD card reader. You download the nav software first, it then writes it to the SD card, you take the SD card to the car, do the update, go back to your PC, download the maps to the PC, write it to the SD card, go back to your car and let it update the maps. Job done.

Slow broadband? Utter rubbish. They could leave it downloading the various files overnight and just do the update via the SD card in the morning.

Reactions: rompik and MikeS

·
Registered
196 Posts
Sooooo.... I took my Kona in for its first service, of which the software update is a major part, or so I thought 😕

Having heard that people had experienced different levels of service, some good, some bad, some incompetent, I thought I would emphasis the software update when booking the car in. I also phoned them about a week before the service date just to make sure. They said they would phone back but never did. Warning bells maybe?

Anyway, in it went today. They said it wouldn't take long so I could wait. After 2hrs 15 mins they told me it was completed, just having it washed. After 3 hrs they came and told me it hadn't been washed but if I wanted I could wait a bit longer and they would get it done. I politely declined.

Having been given the signed service book and associated paperwork, saying the service had been completed, I went out to the car and the first thing I checked was the software versions. I think you may well have guessed by now but there was NO software update. I went back in and again, politely, inquired as to why. Well, now the excuses started ranging from "we don't routinely update the software and maps because it takes too long" to " they just haven't been done". I did ask what they had been doing for three hours if they hadn't been doing the software updates. No response. So it is booked in for next Monday and they asked if I would be waiting as it wouldn't take long!!!

Unbelievable!!

This thread is linked with the navigation thread due to the photos of the software versions: Navigation - Update

·
Life's too short to wait for a Kona .....
78 Posts
My exact same experience with Ioniq at Gloucester pre-lockdown. Forgot first time. Took it back second time and they 'couldn't download due to technical problems' (two mornings wasted and 40 miles travelling). In fairness, they didn't object when I said they would have to collect and return it, which they did finally. Like you I had emphasized that I wanted it done from the outset when I booked service, emailed them prior etc etc. I had also arranged a trial in 38kWh Ioniq, and they presented me with a hybrid....which is so awful by the way, in comparison to a proper electric. Now I love my car, but Hyundai service centres really need to get their act together...nice people, but lousy technical knowledge of electric vehicles. Two years and 26k miles and no faults...will probably add a Kona to the household soon.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
My exact same experience with Ioniq at Gloucester pre-lockdown. Forgot first time. Took it back second time and they 'couldn't download due to technical problems' (two mornings wasted and 40 miles travelling). In fairness, they didn't object when I said they would have to collect and return it, which they did finally. Like you I had emphasized that I wanted it done from the outset when I booked service, emailed them prior etc etc. I had also arranged a trial in 38kWh Ioniq, and they presented me with a hybrid....which is so awful by the way, in comparison to a proper electric. Now I love my car, but Hyundai service centres really need to get their act together...nice people, but lousy technical knowledge of electric vehicles. Two years and 26k miles and no faults...will probably add a Kona to the household soon.
Gloucester share their Hyundai dealership with Nissan. If they are half as bad as the Nissan dealer I'd find another dealer or manufacturer. Good job that the car is reliable and there's little to service.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
We should be naming and shaming on here to help prevent others from getting this lousy service. My local dealership is Murley Hyundai in Warwick/Leamington and Stratford and I'm afraid they're fairly hopeless when it comes to the electric. They remind me of the old 1980s dealerships where a customer is an inconvenience while having a relaxing day in your chair.
Which dealer did you go to, @Tall Phil ?
I'm booked in at Johnson's Hyundai in Oxford in a few weeks' time and I did emphasise the software update for both the ECUs and infotainment but we'll see. I might give them a call a few days in advance to remind them but sadly they have a call centre for the whole group rather than individual dealership numbers, so the chances of the message getting through are about as likely as Trump marrying Putin.

·
Registered
481 Posts
We should be naming and shaming on here to help prevent others from getting this lousy service. My local dealership is Murley Hyundai in Warwick/Leamington and Stratford and I'm afraid they're fairly hopeless when it comes to the electric. They remind me of the old 1980s dealerships where a customer is an inconvenience while having a relaxing day in your chair.
Which dealer did you go to, @Tall Phil ?
I'm booked in at Johnson's Hyundai in Oxford in a few weeks' time and I did emphasise the software update for both the ECUs and infotainment but we'll see. I might give them a call a few days in advance to remind them but sadly they have a call centre for the whole group rather than individual dealership numbers, so the chances of the message getting through are about as likely as Trump marrying Putin.
I use Johnsons in Coventry, yes the call centre does act as a filter but otherwise they are good to deal with. I got a new 12v battery under warranty without any hassle.
Still waiting for the latest software update. Booked in next Monday to fix a dodgy cruise control +/- switch. I am minded to postpone until its clear what Hyundai are doing about the charging issues.

Hope you have a satisfactory visit to the Oxford branch.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Thanks, useful to know, and already better than my local lot then. It seems from the latest posts on the other thread that the charging issue may only be on stageshoot's car as it seems his battery cooling system may have failed (!) so I'm happy to go ahead with it - assuming it hasn't actually been postponed as we're still getting mixed reports...

Reactions: arao99

·
Registered
232 Posts
- assuming it hasn't actually been postponed as we're still getting mixed reports...
Just to answer this one (as it was my dealer that told me the update was on hold) If you are a member of the UK Kona Electric Group on Facebook you'll find the answer in Announcements.

And if you are not:-
"HMUK hasn’t withdrawn the update, what has been reminded is that all the relevant and normal care points are followed and the technical service bulletin is read carefully before they carry out the update." Robin Hayles HMUK

John.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I try to avoid Facebook like the plague so thank you for reproducing the important bit - very useful. I shall expect the dealer to do all the updates, then...

·
Registered
236 Posts
Not sure about Johnsons Oxford but Johnsons Slough is pretty good. It is not that far. They did all the updates I asked and are quite open with customers.
I did have lots of problems with 12v battery but that issue seems to be spread across many makes and Johnsons Slough simply told me a lot of BS but they were told that by Hyundai UK / Korea. So a bit hard to blame them to be honest.
In overall I would recommend them.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts