Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Thank you, it's always very useful to hear first-hand recommendations. Far too often I hear that we early adopters know far more than the dealers, which makes the dealers stroppy, defensive and unhelpful :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
To those still waiting for the Infotainment update, its well worth getting,

The menu system is much swifter and better laid out with SatNav favorites as push button choices at the bottom of the screen

The SatNav screen colours are odd but at least you have the choice of three, but the new single push cancel route button is welcome and the improved speed camera system, with Speed of Camera, Distance to camera, and the cars TRUE speed not the phony dashboard speed displayed above it.

In Average Speed Zones it now also tells you the speed of the Zone along with the distance it runs for and your True speed, so much better than before.

Well worth pushing for the update for these features let alone the updated maps.

Mine took a while as the garage had downloaded the System Update for the infotainment but forgot to download the new map so it just refused to restart, but while we were off checking if they had fixed the rapid charging they downloaded the 24gb map and had it ready on our SD card when we got back to them

You can click on saved destinations direct on SatNavMenu

You can set it to display only AC or DC Chargers and Specific Networks

You Can set Speed camera warning distances for cameras and different alerts

You can swap between BT Devices and Change Music Profiles from Main Music Screen

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Thank you, just the kind of changes list you never get from the manufacturer! (y)

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Not managed to test the speed camera detection on a Variable Speed Camera operating at Reduced Speed, like the ones on the Smart Motorways that drop from 70 to 50

But here is a video showing how the system reacts when you approach a variable limit camera at just over the speed limit

New video by Richard Hurn

·
Registered
196 Posts
To keep the threads on track I have moved this post from the DC Charging curve thread.

Please report back :)
Just a quick update, which is the opposite to the time taken for the software update. :LOL:

The car went in yesterday, I dropped it off at 0930. At 1530 they phoned to say the first update was complete and the Nav/Map update was just being started and should be complete by 1730. Rather than go in at 1730, as they suggested, I asked them to phone me when it was complete, which they did at 1745. I asked whether the car had been washed and hoovered, to which he said they only do that for services. Having pointed out the issues/problems from last week's service, he agreed to have it washed. I said I would pick it up on the next day.

So I am going in this morning to pick it up and double check the software updates have been completed (version numbers etc) and that the updates have successfully applied (brake lights stay on with hold, battery saver option gone(although mine didn't have it anyway) and speed camera options).

I don't know if the first update took 5-6 hrs to complete (0930 to 1530) or whether they just didn't start the work for a couple of hours. The second update (nav/map, 23Gb?) seems to have taken approx 2 hrs. If you are waiting, be prepared for a longer wait than they first say. Conversely, mine could be the first one they have done (recently) and, having solved the issues, the next car could be done fairly quickly.

I will provide a final update as soon as I get the car back.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Well you're doing better than me.
My dealer is still refusing to do the 960 campaign (HV battery check and software update).
They gave the car back with broken navigation software (car displays dealers car park as current location while driving - so it doesn't navigate at all! Still on 2018 software versions)
Booked in again for Monday to sort the navigation - I'm not holding my breath.
As for the service campaign I have no idea if/when this will get done - Shows as required for my VIN.

Dissappointed!

John.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Sooooo... got the car back from the dealership, software seems to have been installed and car washed (y)

Software version page does not show the map versions (I notice there is a scoll bar so maybe I need to scroll down for the map version?):

however, the maps are of the new design:

So, overall, success.
Battery saver option gone(although mine didn't have it anyway) and speed camera options available. Haven't checked whether the brake lights stay on with left paddle hold function.

I am going to take this as a win :)

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Thats correct since the update it now shows the device hardware version and map version has gone

But I think the "Software Version" only changes with the map updates so thats a way to make sure you have the latest version

Build Date 17th Dec 2019 sounds right

·
Registered
196 Posts
As an aside, there were two Kona EVs, showing on the screen, as being in for servicing today, at Richmond Southampton. Hope you both had a successful service.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Help please
I had my BMS updated last week but I still have the auxiliary battery saver still in one of the menus , is that correct or has the dealer not installed the software correctly ?
My car goes back next week for another recall as a case cover needs inspecting / replacing
If the BMS system wasn’t done correctly I can get it sorted out next week and I see that there’s been a sat nav update but they didn’t do either .
Is it likely that the auxiliary battery saver removal was linked to the BMS update or the information/ sat nav update , I want to get my facts correct before I have a moan at my dealership
Alan

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Help please
I had my BMS updated last week but I still have the auxiliary battery saver still in one of the menus , is that correct or has the dealer not installed the software correctly ?
My car goes back next week for another recall as a case cover needs inspecting / replacing
If the BMS system wasn’t done correctly I can get it sorted out next week and I see that there’s been a sat nav update but they didn’t do either .
Is it likely that the auxiliary battery saver removal was linked to the BMS update or the information/ sat nav update , I want to get my facts correct before I have a moan at my dealership
Alan
I was advised by my dealer that the AuxBattery Saver still being in the menu was indicative that the update had not completed correctly. And that was what was causing my car to not charge above 31kw on HPCs (150Kw and 350Kw Rapids)

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Mine is in for its annual check ('service' is probably pushing it :) ).
Checking the paperwork before signing there are 3 software updates listed: BMS (seems obvious), MCU (media control unit - nav, maps?) and a bit of a jumble of 5 letters I think, along the lines of LVDHC. I'm guessing that might be the aux battery system in which case it will be a separate update which some dealers have missed resulting in some people not losing that menu option.
I'll try and clarify when I pick the car up.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Good luck!!
Hah. No cigar for them I'm afraid.

The actual line in the paperwork reads "BMS & MCU & VCULDC & IGPM Update High Voltage Battery Monitoring"
The saver option is gone from my settings menu.

But the nav hasn't been changed at all. So I went back in and questioned it and she said "Did you ask for it to be done?"
So I counted to 3 ... "Well, I said there would be a few updates to do, but may not have specifically requested this one."

Apparently, despite Hyundai including 7 or whatever years of updates and me having a service plan with Richmond Soton, they only update the navigation at service time if you specifically ask them to.
It's going back next week for the nav.

·
Registered
232 Posts

The actual line in the paperwork reads "BMS & MCU & VCULDC & IGPM Update High Voltage Battery Monitoring"

But the nav hasn't been changed at all. So I went back in and questioned it and she said "Did you ask for it to be done?"
So I counted to 3 ... "Well, I said there would be a few updates to do, but may not have specifically requested this one."

Apparently, despite Hyundai including 7 or whatever years of updates and me having a service plan with Richmond Soton, they only update the navigation at service time if you specifically ask them to.
Link to mapcare, and it says "at least 10 years" I always specifically ask for things to be done, including service campaigns (which is item 2 on the EV service sheet), but the dealer still tries it on.

My car was in for service last Friday. They refused to do the BMS service campaign and broke the navigation system doing a half hearted map update. The car went back on Monday to have the Navigation and BMS done properly - don't know why they couldn't have done that first time!

John

·
Registered
196 Posts

Well, good luck with that. I have the 5 yr service package, as well, is it specifically linked with Richmond Southampton (ie dealer specific) or can it be used at any Hyundai dealership?

As a learning point, anyone booking their car in for a service should make sure they ask for the nav updates and any other software updates, as a matter of course. In my experience, if they say it doesn't take long to do the service and you can wait, then they aren't factoring in the 23Gb nav update, so make sure you specify it.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I called my dealer directly (not via their centralised call centre) and spoke to the head of the service department, asking him specifically to do the "enhancement" updates AND the satnav and maps. We'll see... I shall be reminding them again on the day.

My local "dealer" also said they refuse to do the maps update unless specifically asked. I asked them how I was supposed to know an update was available? He just wandered off. Hence using a different dealer now!

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Well, Johnson's Hyundai in Oxford got so close to getting it right... they correctly had me down for the ECU updates and sat nav + maps updates. They seem to have got the ECU updates through properly as the Auxiliary Battery Saver+ option has vanished, and the new sat nav is rather nice.

However...

There's no spoken words in the navigation! So it seems that at least one part of the update was forgotten or failed. I'll have to take it back again.

Someone else mentioned this on here but I can't find it... can anyone remember what they said about it?

21 - 40 of 52 Posts