Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Well, Johnson's Hyundai in Oxford got so close to getting it right... they correctly had me down for the ECU updates and sat nav + maps updates. They seem to have got the ECU updates through properly as the Auxiliary Battery Saver+ option has vanished, and the new sat nav is rather nice.

However...

There's no spoken words in the navigation! So it seems that at least one part of the update was forgotten or failed. I'll have to take it back again.

Someone else mentioned this on here but I can't find it... can anyone remember what they said about it?
Oh dear, that's not good.
I'm guessing that you've done the basics like checking that voice navigation is turned on?
If it is, it's most likely your dealer didn't copy everything onto the SD card. If you are able to read the contents of the SD card on a computer you should have a folder called VR as well as the DATA folder and a couple of VERSION folders. The VR folder contains all the voice info and phonetics - no folder, no voice!

John

Reactions: Richard Gledhill

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Well, Johnson's Hyundai in Oxford got so close to getting it right... they correctly had me down for the ECU updates and sat nav + maps updates. They seem to have got the ECU updates through properly as the Auxiliary Battery Saver+ option has vanished, and the new sat nav is rather nice.

However...

There's no spoken words in the navigation! So it seems that at least one part of the update was forgotten or failed. I'll have to take it back again.

Someone else mentioned this on here but I can't find it... can anyone remember what they said about it?
The missing voice is an issue Will at DSG mentioned seems to have happened a few times when the media update has not completed properly

Stupid it should be so simple insert SD update remove SD what is there to Bork in that

Hope they sort it promptly for you

Reactions: Richard Gledhill

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Well quite Richard...

Anyway thanks to @Anaglypta giving me a copy of his VR directory from his SD card, which I then copied onto mine, it's now all working fine! Many thanks chaps, that's saved me another Saturday morning's trip to the dealer (45 mins each way + dead time while they try again) (y)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Useful to know that works without borking it.
Presumably there is some sort of key in the card to lock it to the vehicle which you don't want to corrupt.
No, you can use any compatible SD card in the car and the data isn't locked in any way. In other markets you can download the updates (AVN and Maps) and do them yourself. The only thing that is restricted is the TomTom live traffic data where the head unit device ID needs to be registered (usually done at Tilbury for CtB or your dealer on first registration).

It dissapoints me that we can't do the updates ourselves in Europe given the number of people that finish up going to their dealer twice before it gets done properly! :mad:

John.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
What he said... 🤦‍♂️ :poop:

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Took it back today for the nav update. They had it for four hours in the end, but I don't know how much of that was actual update time.
Got the new colours and layout. For a while I thought I had the voiceless version :) but she eventually spoke. (It's strange coming from the dealer as it's along the bottom of Soton with lots of traffic lights and junctions, which makes it seem complex, but it's actually just going straight on.)

Not tested the new traffic camera alert yet, but I think it may not have chimed when approaching them as it used to. (Had SWMBO in the car, so not 100% sure about all noises). Is that part of the update to only alert if you are speeding?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Not tested the new traffic camera alert yet, but I think it may not have chimed when approaching them as it used to. (Had SWMBO in the car, so not 100% sure about all noises). Is that part of the update to only alert if you are speeding?
You get the usual BingBong when approaching the camera, and again as you pass. If you're speeding you also get a really annoying bonging sound as you approach!

John.

Reactions: mikegs

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
I turned the speed camera warnings off within half an hour of picking the car up - just don't speed and things will be nice and quiet :)

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
You get the usual BingBong when approaching the camera, and again as you pass. If you're speeding you also get a really annoying bonging sound as you approach!
Just been into town again and it is indeed doing all the bings and bongs as expected (y)
Shame the GPS speed only displays near a camera.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Just been into town again and it is indeed doing all the bings and bongs as expected (y)
Shame the GPS speed only displays near a camera.
There's a setting in the navigation menu to turn on GPS speed. I've also turned off "speed limit" in the settings so I only have GPS speed displayed on the maps.

John.

Reactions: mikegs

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
There's a setting in the navigation menu to turn on GPS speed.
OK, I'll have a root round. Before going out today I checked the settings for having the camera warning on but didn't notice that one. I guess it's somewhere else.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts