Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Kona64
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a 3yr check on the Hyundai service plan website, then remembered I had a 4yr lease ending mid Aug 2024
The 4th year cost made me fall off the chair ---- what's all that about ? £500+ ?!?!?!?!
I guess if I return the car before it's done 40000 miles I don't need to have that service done ? (He asked hopefully)

·
Registered
Kona64
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
fyi their website quoted me a £20 or so monthly payment plan which totalled £914+.
I added up the 4 items above and made that £818.66.
Hmmmmmmm.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
The 4th Service is for a Battery Coolant change, and the fluid changed on the 2020 carsis a more expensive "Non Conductive one" so it has gone up a lot.

Your only option would be to end the lease before the date of the 4th service so it was not due when handed in... (ProTip you need service the car within a certain number of miles or days after it becomes due, so if you push it towards the overdue days each of the first couple of services that will keep pushing the 4th one back a few weeks)..

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
The 4th Service is for a Battery Coolant change, and the fluid changed on the 2020 carsis a more expensive "Non Conductive one" so it has gone up a lot.

Your only option would be to end the lease before the date of the 4th service so it was not due when handed in... (ProTip you need service the car within a certain number of miles or days after it becomes due, so if you push it towards the overdue days each of the first couple of services that will keep pushing the 4th one back a few weeks)..
Interesting... makes a lot of sense though, I expect this will be sign of things to come from all the manufacturers soon, great way to keep the service centres and dealerships in business.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've been quoted £814 for 5 years plan for my Ioniq from Hyundai online.
Rang my local Hyundai dealer (Bristol street motors) and got 5 years plan for £497. £8.49/month with first payment of £35-ish

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
488 Posts
The long warranty with Kia should be good news for the dealers. I wouldn't consider taking an out of warranty car for a dealer service....wouldn't trust some of them to operate cutlery. It's trivial to find someone considerably more competent. Hopefully, by the time my 7 years is up, if I still have the car, there'll be independents around with the necessary skills and high voltage training.

·
Registered
Kona 64
603 Posts
fyi their website quoted me a £20 or so monthly payment plan which totalled £914+.
I added up the 4 items above and made that £818.66.
Hmmmmmmm.
Does the quote include 2 MOT’s?
No MOT for the first 3 years.
But an MOT is needed at 3 years and again at 4 so potentially 2 MOT’s required on a 4 year lease, unless you return the car a day early. Also you can not renew the (free) road tax without a valid MOT.

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona Premium SE in Galactic Grey
234 Posts
I had an Outlander PHEV up until last month and needed to have it serviced prior to the end of the lease contract. It was '65 plate and Mitsubishi quoted me £243 to arrange a full service at the local dealer. Someone told me about an outfit called 'Secret Service' via Book my Garage, so I looked into it. Ended up getting the Outlander serviced on a date of my choosing for £139, full service with the exact same dealer! Left me a wee bit cynical I have to say.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Kona Premium SE 64kWh, Ceramic Blue
82 Posts
The coolant changing idea is, an interesting one, Tesla I gather, suggest never changing the coolant, my guess is, that Hyundai are, with little long term knowledge, being overly cautious. There really should be a simple test instead.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
The coolant changing idea is, an interesting one, Tesla I gather, suggest never changing the coolant, my guess is, that Hyundai are, with little long term knowledge, being overly cautious. There really should be a simple test instead.
On the 2018/19 cars the coolant is just standard glycol mix and Hyundai state it should be replaced at 10 years / 100k miles

The new fangled none conductive stuff in the 2020 cars is 4 years or 40k miles as Hyundai says its properties degrade quicker... As well as costing more than double the standard stuff.

So the original 10 year or 100k is more in line with the Tesla no replacement needed stuff I would think

I do wonder if this change to the none conductive stuff is again all related to the ongoing updates and recalls and another way of trying to avoid fires etc

·
Registered
Kona EV, 64kW Premium Nav 2019
353 Posts
Sounds like a good reason to hold onto our 2019 model for a good few years then!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts