Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While lurking over the last few years I have seen service costs for the Zoe quoted at £65 to £100 on this forum. We have had our Zoe since 2016 and the cost has never been below £100, the fifth year service is due in March and I have been quoted £140 odd at a London Renault dealer with £420 for the coolant change. Last there year they wanted £450 odd for the brake fluid change which I declined. The battery was quoted at £160 odd at year three which we didn't do.

Zoe is not as cheap as I expected to service. We have taken out the yearly extended warranty with Renault, does anyone know if you need to service the car with the Renault for the warranty to be valid.

We have occasionally got the check electrical system messages so I will swap the battery for a new one before March as for £50 it worth doing in case Renault pick this up as a fault in the service.

Brian

·
Registered
466 Posts
i paid about £60 on my first service (air cabin filter). 2nd coming up soon.

Dont see your quotes including 12v batteries or fluid changes outrageous compared to what people get charged to change the oil and filter on a new bmw nowadays

·
Registered
Renault Zoe Intens Q210 22kw 2013
426 Posts
its not a BMW! (ICE or otherwise!) though .. I think the hight rates is the disconnection of the 370v DC traction battery disconnection and wait for it to drain down , which apparently is required for brake fluid change and coolant change amongst other things. This is where servicing becomes expensive on the Zoe's - then you will get people say "yes well your not paying for petrol / fuel etc and there is less to go wrong than an ICE car" but when you are faced with those high bills I dont know how much consolation that is.

I bought my Zoe on a budget, I pay for the battery rental monthly as well as I couldnt afford to buy my zoe outright and had to buy it with a loan so then there is that to pay monthly , and now a lot of street chargers are now charging where they used to once be free and there are still things like tyres etc to replace and also we are taxed annualy on EV's too ... so all that lot, when it comes to brake fluid change and coolant change , well as much as I will want to get it done , at those prices I think I will have to put them on the long finger to be honest ....

·
Registered
466 Posts
its not a BMW! (ICE or otherwise!) though .. I think the hight rates is the disconnection of the 370v DC traction battery disconnection and wait for it to drain down , which apparently is required for brake fluid change and coolant change amongst other things. This is where servicing becomes expensive on the Zoe's - then you will get people say "yes well your not paying for petrol / fuel etc and there is less to go wrong than an ICE car" but when you are faced with those high bills I dont know how much consolation that is.

I bought my Zoe on a budget, I pay for the battery rental monthly as well as I couldnt afford to buy my zoe outright and had to buy it with a loan so then there is that to pay monthly , and now a lot of street chargers are now charging where they used to once be free and there are still things like tyres etc to replace and also we are taxed annualy on EV's too ... so all that lot, when it comes to brake fluid change and coolant change , well as much as I will want to get it done , at those prices I think I will have to put them on the long finger to be honest ....
when you buy a zoe with monthly rental of batteries, you dont really care about money. as you're buying a car priced like an EV with running prices equal or greater than combustion

·
Registered
234 Posts
I thought everything in London added 20% to the cost...
However in saying that - my local dealer does B service and cabin filter for £154. There is nothing special about the A&B services - no need to use a dealer.
I got it done at the independent round the corner from me for £90 as far as I remember (Glasgow).

·
Registered
MY15 Q210 and an MY18 R110
318 Posts
@Brian-EV I seem to run my Zoe in exactly the same way as yourself. Declining stuff that is clearly just on the books as "recommended" but not actually needed and can be checked before hand anyway. Replaced my 12v battery over the weekend as I had been getting the dash error on and off for a while.

Only thing to be aware of with not getting things changed when they recommend it is that if later that part fails then the warranty people might not pay up for it. I did speak to the extended warranty people about that when my dealer said the warranty would be void if I didn't have it the brake fluid changed. Just another lie. The warranty is fine but if they found that neglect caused the failure then for that specific part you are on your own. Strangely the warranty people were actually being pragmatic about it.

I have mentioned in a post a while back the extended warranty does NOT specify you need to use a Renault dealer, I think that might actually be illegal but I'm no lawyer.
It does however state that any VAT registered company can do the work. That is their only caveat. I have tested it and as I own my own VAT registered company that isn't a garage they have paid me to work on my own car so I know this is fact.
Using a local garage just means you can't say it has a "Full Renault service history", that is about it.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I’m sure if you find a cheaper quote at another garage Renault would match it, after all they probably need the work just as much as everyone else.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe Intens Q210 22kw 2013
426 Posts
@Brian-EV ....
Using a local garage just means you can't say it has a "Full Renault service history", that is about it....
most people will just use FSH anyway when selling their car - they are not breaking anything then , nor being underhanded by saying that.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Zoe is not as cheap as I expected to service. We have taken out the yearly extended warranty with Renault, does anyone know if you need to service the car with the Renault for the warranty to be valid.
EU law (which has been carried over into UK law) says that a car can be serviced anywhere. But if you want to claim on the warranty, you have to be able to prove that everything was done to a comparable (or better) standard to the manufacturer's service. Same with any parts - you have to be able to prove that they were equivalent (or better) than Renault parts. So you need receipts detailing the work done and the parts replaced. If the service or the replaced parts are material to the warranty claim and you can't prove that they are equivalent, they can reject the claim.

BTW have you tried booking a service online? It gives you a list of local Renault garages and the costs for the work. With an MOT and servicing (including brake fluid), the difference was almost £100 between the various garages

Reactions: Dion Rust

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. It sounds like to be on the safe side it would be better to let Renault service the car. Finding a local EV independent may be difficult. The car had a lot of electrical issues in year two of ownership which makes me a bit wary of compromising the warranty and finding a local EV independent may be difficult, though looking at the schedule for Type A and B services, there is not a lot they do. I booked on the phone with Renault retail, subsequently, I have looked at the online booking service and it is coming up a tad cheaper for the service and brake/coolant changes. there is only a few pounds difference between the different garages near me. I will challenege them when I drop it off for the service, its £14 in my pocket :)

I have looked back at the past receipts and they have listed an air filter in the service which was replaced. I assume they mean the pollen/cabin filter. I ordered a carbon filter from euro car parts as I hadn't expected that they would replace this as part of the service, it is listed an extra on the online service at an eyewatering £115 [1]. I will wait for the service before fitting it.

I will check the brake fluid and coolant to see if they are ok, no reason to replace them now. Modern coolant should go for eight years and brake fluid for five though this can easily be checked, I am loath to pay over £400 each to get them replaced unless they need to.

The warranty renewal quote has arrived from Renault and this has gone up from £289 to £359 per a year :(

The car with the battery rental, warranty definitely now costs us more to run than an ICE car. We got quite a good deal on the PCP and balloon payment and wouldn't have been able to afford the car otherwise. Normally we would have sourced a 5-year-old secondhand ICE car and run it for ten years, the last Astra cost us very little in the 14 years of ownership with just a starter motor for 5 thousand miles a year. The Zoe allowed us to experience the pleasure of owning a new car with the latest technology and it would be difficult to go back now. I was hoping we would keep the car for 10 years but if the warranty keeps going up at the rate it is, then it will soon become unaffordable.

I complained last year about it taking ages to charge from 99% to 100% and asked for the update to be completed which they said they did. It still takes an age to get to 100%, I may prod them to check it again.

Brian

[1]

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Our dealership (Leeds) is charging £93 for the A service and £35 for the pollen filter. Also quite a bit less for both coolant and brake fluid changes. It's worth shopping around dealerships and comparing their prices via myRenault. Also, you could book in with an independent such as Cleevly EV, a HEVRA registered garage with a mobile service unit. They come to you.

·
Registered
318 Posts
There was a post ages ago about the cabin filter should be part of the service and not an extra chargeable item. It had links back to a person at Renault customer services but I can't find ay trace of that now.
I think DSG list it as part of the service but I just replace it myself. First year I went for the fancy activated carbon filter and it took all of five minutes to change from stepping out of my front door. Not sure it needed to be changed anyway. Just pull out the leaves and put it back in would have been fine. The year after I bought a £4 one of ebay, took the old one out looked at it and put it back in as it was fine. I now have a spare that I leave on the passenger seat when it goes in for the "service"

That garage you have near you really doesn't want to do any work at those prices. Damn! £190 to change the front pads.....let go of my arm. I don't think that takes in to account that if you are getting it serviced the car is already there and on the ramps with the wheel off. sheesh.

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe (ZE40) Q90
1,339 Posts
DGS Morecambe price sept 2020 so the price may have changed
Plus in the youtube video below it sounds like if they have to lock the zoe out to do the work it might be worth doing
2 things at the same time like brake Fluid & Coolant to save money.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Carbon filter from Euro car parts cost me £19 including their discount, that will need to go back if they don't change the filter as part of the service

Once this Pandemic is over, looks like a short break to Morecambe for a coolant and brake fluid change, though with our 22KW Zoe it will probably need about five charges along the way :)

I will just keep an eye on them for the time being, £800 is quite steep for the fluid changes. I will check out local Cleevly EV and HEVRA, thanks for the information.

Brian

·
Registered
56 Posts
A 'B service' is coming due for my car. It is £136 (+£431 brake fluid change) or £112 (+£341) at local dealers so I was curious to see what it entailed (the brake fluid was tested recently so I don't plan on changing that).

Green Autos provides the following list:

Service & maintenance schedule
  • Every 1 year or 18,000 miles - Pollen filter change and alternate between an A or B inspection
  • Every 3 years - Replace 12V auxiliary battery
  • Every 54,000 miles - Check and remove dust from brake linings
  • Every 4 years or 72,000 miles - Replace brake fluid
  • Every 5 years or 90,000 miles - Replace coolant
  • Every 6 years - Check and top-up refrigerant
The A inspection consists of:
  • Check the levels, condition and sealing of the brake circuit
  • Check the exterior lighting and signals
  • Check the condition and sealing of the shock absorbers
  • Check condition and pressure of the tyres and road wheel security
  • Check the presence of the wheel valve caps
  • Check the wear of the brake discs and pads
  • Check the wiper blades and screen washer fluid level
  • Check the 12V battery with test tool
  • Check the computers with the diagnostic tool
  • Reinitialise the maintenance service display
  • Documentation and positioning of the maintenance label
The B inspection adds the following to the above:
  • Check the interior lighting
  • Anti-corrosion check
  • Check and lubricate the bonnet lock
  • Check the levels, condition and sealing of the coolant circuit
  • Check the condition and sealing of the gaiters, rubber mountings, ball joints and shock absorbers
  • Check the condition of the windscreen and door mirrors
  • Check the presence of the airbag and engine compartment labels
  • Check the operation of the instrument panel warning lights

So, if I am reading the above correctly, the only thing that they actually do is replace the pollen filter? Everything else is just safety checks which, by the looks of things, pretty much anyone can do?

Am I missing something? Is there a better list somewhere else?

·
Registered
94 Posts
A 'B service' is coming due for my car. It is £136 (+£431 brake fluid change) or £112 (+£341) at local dealers so I was curious to see what it entailed (the brake fluid was tested recently so I don't plan on changing that).

Green Autos provides the following list:

Service & maintenance schedule
  • Every 1 year or 18,000 miles - Pollen filter change and alternate between an A or B inspection
  • Every 3 years - Replace 12V auxiliary battery
  • Every 54,000 miles - Check and remove dust from brake linings
  • Every 4 years or 72,000 miles - Replace brake fluid
  • Every 5 years or 90,000 miles - Replace coolant
  • Every 6 years - Check and top-up refrigerant
The A inspection consists of:
  • Check the levels, condition and sealing of the brake circuit
  • Check the exterior lighting and signals
  • Check the condition and sealing of the shock absorbers
  • Check condition and pressure of the tyres and road wheel security
  • Check the presence of the wheel valve caps
  • Check the wear of the brake discs and pads
  • Check the wiper blades and screen washer fluid level
  • Check the 12V battery with test tool
  • Check the computers with the diagnostic tool
  • Reinitialise the maintenance service display
  • Documentation and positioning of the maintenance label
The B inspection adds the following to the above:
  • Check the interior lighting
  • Anti-corrosion check
  • Check and lubricate the bonnet lock
  • Check the levels, condition and sealing of the coolant circuit
  • Check the condition and sealing of the gaiters, rubber mountings, ball joints and shock absorbers
  • Check the condition of the windscreen and door mirrors
  • Check the presence of the airbag and engine compartment labels
  • Check the operation of the instrument panel warning lights

So, if I am reading the above correctly, the only thing that they actually do is replace the pollen filter? Everything else is just safety checks which, by the looks of things, pretty much anyone can do?

Am I missing something? Is there a better list somewhere else?
You could probably put that list to this song ...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Heeeeeeeeey, I resemble that remark 😢

One of the few things that just might be worth it is the anti corrosion check. I think it states it needs to be checked annually to keep up the warranty.
If you go for the extended warranty there might be a similar clause, haven't checked for a while now.

Apart from that, yep money for old rope.
If you like to work on your own car there really is nothing you can't check yourself. If they added any software upgrades were also done that would be a different story.

Reactions: Kelly McLellan
1 - 20 of 36 Posts