Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've just had the above message pop up . From a brief check of the forum I can see it's not great. I am currently at my parents house just outside Bristol having driven down from lancs on Thursday. Since arriving it has been plugged in via granny cable. I drove today for the first time since arriving and was greeted by the SHVCS and only about 25% charge. It allowed me to travel by battery- the journey was only about1/2mile.
What should I do now, bearing in mind I'm due to go back north tomorrow?

Also might the fact that Arnold Clark on Manchester complete a battery coolant change on its last service in July possibly have a bearing on the issue?
Thanks

·
Ampera aka IGOR
2,689 Posts
Assuming there is no puddle under the car (a leak) have a look at the coolant reservoirs under the bonnet to check the fluid levels. If it was not carried out properly it might be an air bubble finally worked the way through to where the sensor is and causing the low reading.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Had the same and the coolant needed a top up. Couldn’t say why but I believe it happened to me when the temperature dropped one night going into winter last year but who knows without a schematic of the coolant system. If no leaks then as has been suggested an airlock in the system that has worked its way through. Hope you get / got back ok, I drove mine without any issues for a couple of days and to Bellingers about an hour away.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I managed to take it to Cleevely EV in Cheltenham. I found them on the HEVRA website. They were fantastic and real EV enthusiasts, really looked after me well. They cleared the fault and couldn't find any further issues. Cost £72. Thanks for the replies. Cheers.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,003 Posts
There is a known problem with the sensor in the bottom of the battery coolant tank. You can replace it with a dummy sensor, because that level is pretty meaningless for the system to know, and mainly ends up with it going wrong and bricking your car.

This could be a warning sign of that.

There is a guy on gmvolt.com that makes the dummy part.

I have written about this several times here. Get one, fit it.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Also might the fact that Arnold Clark on Manchester completed a battery coolant change on its last service in July possibly have a bearing on the issue?
Thanks
Almost certainly caused by the coolant level dropping/faulty level sensor.
Typical of an established manufacturer not to flag the actual fault but to expect you to trek to a stealership to rectify it. I often wonder what the "message system" on the dash is acually for as I have never seen a message on it.

Make sure the battery coolant header tank (the one that is locked shut) is full almost to the brim.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
Russ
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing