Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I was planning for a full BEV, I think it's just too expensive for me. So, I'm looking at a used PHEV Passat to fill the gap for a few years. Does anyone know what the service intervals are for a 2017 model?

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
With it being a PHEV and very close relationship with the Golf GTE.
Here is a quick run down on owning one is likely to cost.
Check with the dealer, but th in is give you a rough idea.
I owned a Golf GTE for over four years, before my current BEV and this is pretty close to what to expect.
It will be every 12 months or every 10,000 miles, which every comes first, this will be without an exceptions !.
If you are covering a lot of miles, these services come around quickly.
No long life services available I am afraid sorry.
First brake fluid change at 3 years, then every 2 from then on in.
HVAC service at two years and every sub two years.
So you will have service to pay for and one or the other as well each year at least.
One year it will be an inspection service, the following year it will be an oil service.
You will require a DSG oil service at about 4 years I think ?.
Then a cambelt replacement at around the 5 years mark.... ish.
This is where the BEV scores over the PHEV, the services cost increases quickly as the car gets older.
Remember, you have both power trains to service.
Also, you may want to consider the VW extended warranty to cover the expensive hybrid system.
This will be around £200 per year depending on the mileage covered.
See how the cost of a PHEV starts to mount over a BEV !.
See, it’s like having two mouths to feed, you are serving two masters with a PHEV.
You need to factor these costs into your daily running costs.
I loved the GTE - the fuel economy is great if you are able to charge as often as possible.
ABC - Always Be Charging.
It has been said before I know, but the GTE is a great “Bridge” car into the big world of EV’s.
Again, check with the dealer with regards to the Passat, but I would be surprised if it differs that much from the GTE.
Hope this helps in some way.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Agree with Carty's view; our Passat GTE actually reminds me for service at approx 9300 miles (15,000km). It alternates between oil change only and oil change + inspection.

DSG gearbox oil change is every 40k miles (or 4 years I think, whichever comes sooner, same as my old Audi); I got mine done just before I bought it from the lease company at the end of its lease. Cambelt is something I've not worried about yet, will have to dig out my service book.

It really is a great bridge car to BEV, incredibly comfortable and refined, makes a trip to the south of France very relaxing.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Although I was planning for a full BEV, I think it's just too expensive for me. So, I'm looking at a used PHEV Passat to fill the gap for a few years. Does anyone know what the service intervals are for a 2017 model?
I can confirm that my Golf GTE is 10,000 mile or 1 year whichever is sooner. That is what the service book says.
A lot of info/debate here on this thread:

Interestingly they seem to have reduced it to 9000 miles on the VW website. This may be because in Europe it is 15,000km which equates to 9,320 miles. The thread above mentioned getting oil change requests at about 9,300 miles.

·
Registered
879 Posts
In addition to what @Carty mentioned about Brakes, DSG oil, there is also a recommended spark plug change at 40,000 miles or 4 years whichever is sooner.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Interestingly they seem to have reduced it to 9000 miles on the VW website. This may be because in Europe it is 15,000km which equates to 9,320 miles. The thread above mentioned getting oil change requests at about 9,300 miles.
I have found after owning a few VW's, that it states 12 months or 10,000 miles which ever comes first.
But from personal experience I can tell you that the service indicator will start "Pecking Your Head" before 10,000 miles or 12 months.
Another method of extracting your money just a little more quickly than normal !.
I would not be concerned about forgetting any of your service points, the agent will be contacting you WAY before the date is due.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for your replies. They help me to understand overall costs of running the GTE.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts