Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody here know how far beyond the scheduled service interval you can go without affecting the vehicles warranty?

Mine is coming up as due for an interim oil change service as 12 months have almost passed since it’s last service. Under normal circumstances I would have hit the 10k interval but due to WFH/Furlough I haven’t done the mileage this time around.

Would it be acceptable to go up to 1 month beyond? Say as long as it is done within month 13 it would be OK? I’m hoping I can eek just a few more miles out and reach past another pay day.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
The answer is "it depends". It becomes an argument of missing the required service internal (requirement of the warranty) vs the product being fit for purpose (from the consumer rights act). If a failure occurred due to a slightly late service and VW were able to prove it, you could try arguing that something so tight sensitive implies that it isn't fit for purpose, tolerances should have been explicitly specified when purchasing and/or the service internal is incorrect. The way I look at these things is cost saving from slightly delaying a service vs the risk and cost of arguing over an invalidated warranty (and the potential cost of covering repairs if they win). What you should do basically comes down to your risk acceptance profile and how much you value your time.

For what it's worth, VW don't care about a few hundred miles over the interval - I was getting a bit close to the service mileage limit for my previous car and asked them whether I should stop driving for a week until the service appointment, and they told me not to worry about it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Mine is coming up as due for an interim oil change service as 12 months have almost passed since its last service.
Don't know whether applicable to your vehicle but do you have "automatic service scheduling" enabled with "personal authorised workshop" in WeConnect app/portal? Presumably not if dealer has not contacted you yet. With pressure upon workshop(s) due to ID3 software issues, unless you are a keyworker you may find you have to wait a while anyway to get an appointment, however you would have made the effort to keep your side of warranty terms.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do have the weconect app, but I keep automatic scheduling toggled off. My original, local main dealer has contacted me however I have declined their invitation, having quoted £165 for the oil change service.
I have a quote from a rival VW dealer 15miles away with appointments within the next 7 days available for £92 for the same service via bookmygarage.com.

I have 2 weeks until the actual anniversary of the previous service so have opportunity to research further.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
When St Neots first entered Tier 4, they tried to cancel my scheduled service.
In the end they agreed it could go ahead.
They said that their implicit tolerance is 30 days.

My oil+inspection service cost ~£200 via a Vindis VW dealer. I don't know if that's excessive or not.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts