Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just called Glyn Hopkin Nissan Bedford (although the number goes through to Head Office in Romford) to book a 1st service on my Leaf 40.

Sorted out the date and time, and in passing he said "... £229 ..."

Ang' on. It was £149, then £199 then ... £229?

"Ah" he said "that's with the optional brake service, I'll take that off, so £199 then."

Optional? Brakes? And he can remove it from the service?

What is going on guys?

·
Registered
729 Posts
According to the Nissan website it's still 159/209.
Petrol is 229 for a minor though...

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
the rear shoes need adjusted from time to time, perhaps thats the optional part?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Wanted £90 to check 12v battery charging on second service they said if they found a fault it would be refunded !!

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
What happened to the old style service they checked it if there was a problem phoned you and reported now its pay first and if it didn't need doing you get refund?
My first year service was at 7540 miles my second was 11500.
Having read the thread on SOH I decided to get leaf spy to have a look the actual milage which was when I first connected approx 12200 leaf spy showed 7540 before I ticked the box for mileage to be shown then it showed 12200. I wondered if this ment that the service department just forgot to activate the mileage setting on the second service or perhaps they never connected to their tester or leaf spy acts differently I do not know. Together with the SOH being below 91 my opinion of nissan as a company dropped another two points. Now stands at -5
Has any one any idea why the first service mileage showed after the second service?

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
1,006 Posts
I have to agree that the standard of service offered by dealers that are large franchises has declined noticeably in the last 2 years. When I bought the 40Khw in March 2018, I used a small dealer about 15 miles away, got a really good standard of service that I was very impressed with. When I went back a year later for the first service, I was shocked to find that they had given up the NISSAN franchise, so had to go to the next nearest NISSAN Dealer, found them efficient and okay, even gave the car a free charge on their rapid before I picked the car up.

Shortly after they did the drive shafts for me under warranty and again seemed efficient, went back for the 2 year service and there was a noticeable change. Where they had 2 persons on the service desk, it had been cut to one person and he was struggling to deal with customers and answer the phone. I had a phone call at 3 o'clock to say the car was ready to pick up, I arrived at 4 o'clock and the car wasn't ready at all, still had the software up date to do and the recall for the battery plait. I had to wait and wait, quarter to six before it was ready, the service guy more or less threw the keys at me and said there you go, I vowed then that I would never return.

To me. the problem is that they have had to make extensive cuts to remain profitable now that car sales have taken a massive nose dive.

I use Martins of Winchester. now. a small family run dealership and gives excellent service, when I upgraded to the 62Kwh. I got an amazing deal, even included 2 years free servicing, had to take the car back last week to get the drive shafts done under warranty. They did the job in 2.5 hours very efficient and polite, so there's a plug for them, it pays to use these small dealers, but I suspect that there is not many of them around.

·
Registered
891 Posts
What's with Nissan Leaf and drive shafts?

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
1,006 Posts
What's with Nissan Leaf and drive shafts?
The short story is that there was a manufacturing process failure when the drive shafts were assembled to the drive motor, the splines had the wrong type of grease applied. They were okay for a while, may be as much as 10K miles then the vehicle would produce a clicking noise when braking or when engaging B mode or the E pedal, in worst cases when lifting off the accelerator. When inertia forces the drive shafts in a reverse action, then the lubricating grease failed to prevent metal on metal contact this resulted in the clicking noise, not dissimilar to a sticking brake calliper type of noise. NISSAN issued an engineering bulletin and the cure was the use a special silicon grease on the splines after removing them from the motor. Once done this eliminated the problem, I had this done on the 40Kwh and now 62Kwh, that said, I have to say the car is now silky smooth and very quiet, so all okay just the hassle of having to book the car in and kill several hours in Winchester.

What I find hard to understand is why this happening 2.5 years down the line, there is a serious quality control issue that they haven't been able to bottom out for what ever reason, must be costing them dearly on warranty work.

This is the long version, the original thread:

Clicking noise from front offside wheel

1 - 8 of 8 Posts