Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a 66 Nissan Leaf (22k miles), due for a “major service” at a cost of £209 from Nissan. It suspect it also needs replacement tyres and brake pads (maybe even discs...), which I’ve booked it into the local garage for. They haven’t done EV servicing before but are happy to do the “usual mechanical” stuff - they can’t do any EV specific (battery; plug in; updates etc). Their ICE service charge is £150 for 3hrs labour and they suggest it will be much quicker for an EV.

So.... my options are:

1) booking everything in with Nissan, knowing that the tyres, brakes etc and going to be significantly more expensive and that the service cost is also high?

2) sticking with the local garage for stuff I need doing and getting Nissan to do a service as well?

3) getting my local garage to do as much as they can but knowing it isn’t a full EV service.

4) some other option I haven’t considered...?

Thanks!

PS I’ve never/rarely had ICE cars serviced before but this is the newest and most expensive car I’ve had and I do want to look after it.

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
You’re not under any obligation to get tyres and brakes serviced by Nissan as part of the service.

These can be done by anyone you like, but I’d be amazed if your disks and pads need changing at 22k, or even the tyres for that matter.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. There’s a slight grinding sound starting when I brake, so wanted them checked. I also braked hard the other day and wasn’t happy with how quickly (or not) I stopped - although it was a bit wet. I did have an advisory on tyres a couple of months ago at the first MOT as they had “cuts” rather than wear. The cuts weren’t deep enough for me to get the tyres changed straight away but there’s a slight wobble to the steering now, so thinking there may be tyre issues. The garage are honest, so fairly sure they’ll tell me if there isn’t a problem after all. :)

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
Your garage may clean and inspect the brake pads. It’s usually just rust from lack of use. Try some hard braking to see if that clears it up.

Because they don’t get used much they will work less well in the wet on the first try. Just need to press the pedal harder. :)

If you have a wobble it may just need oneof the wheels balancing.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Both of those issues can be checked by a competent tyre shop. Places like ATS and Kwikfit will check it for free, and the "wobble" may just be a wheel/tyre out of balance which they will do quickly and cheaply (£10 at most) while you wait. If actual work is required on the brakes stick with a garage that you trust which will also give you a second opinion.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. Is it still worth getting a service with Nissan if I get the brakes/tyres checked and sorted?
Your garage may clean and inspect the brake pads. It’s usually just rust from lack of use. Try some hard braking to see if that clears it up.

Because they don’t get used much they will work less well in the wet on the first try. Just need to press the pedal harder. :)

If you have a wobble it may just need oneof the wheels balancing.
Good to know re the brakes. Thanks! Will get the garage to check.

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
Thanks. Is it still worth getting a service with Nissan if I get the brakes/tyres checked and sorted?
Normally you just need the service for warranty purposes.

Ask them for a breakdown of what is involved. Things like cabin air filter are optional really.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
326 Posts
If you get the car serviced at a Nissan dealership your will get complimentary breakdown cover for twelve months.
I suggest you get the car serviced at Nissan, see what they report, and if the tyres and brake pads/discs need replacing, then get these done at your local garage using OE parts.

·
Registered
549 Posts
If you get the car serviced at a Nissan dealership your will get complimentary breakdown cover for twelve months.
I suggest you get the car serviced at Nissan, see what they report, and if the tyres and brake pads/discs need replacing, then get these done at your local garage using OE parts.
This is the way.

·
Registered
79 Posts
May be worth phoning your local Nissan dealer, ask them to check if your car needs the (free) recall to replace (some of the) battery bonding plates. Got mine done recently, went for walk at Pugneys Country Park, witnessed filming for Aldi "new year's resolution" triathlon advert!

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
This is what I am doing, and experience shows that a second opinion is worthwhile - last year the Nissan mechanic said my parking brake cables needed replacing because they were bulging at the end - having put the car on my local mechanic's ramp, and cleaned off all the crud, it was obvious the 'bulging' of the brake cables was just due to the ferrules! Having done nothing, this year the Nissan mechanic made no comment about the parking brake cables, but commented that the inside of the front discs are corroded and recommended complete replacement of the front discs and pads. Am awaiting my local mechanic returning from the Christmas / New Year break to have a closer look.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts