Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm totally new to EVs, I've just put a deposit down on a 66-plate Passat GTE and I'd like a rough idea of the future upkeep costs. I'm assuming I will need main-dealer servicing due to the high-voltage system? Can anyone tell me a ballpark figure for an annual service (bog standard, no extra work)? For context, I will be driving fewer than 5k miles per year.

Also, has anyone had the 5-year cam belt replacement done – if so, what were you charged?

Thanks in advance for any info!

PS. Is there anything I should look out for before completing the purchase, e.g. known faults/issues with these cars? I know the 6-speed DSG box had an oil change last week, so that's one less thing to worry about.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I can't help with servicing costs I'm afraid since mine was a company car and I never saw the costs on service receipts I received. There is a thread on cam belts for Golf GTE which will likely be identical for Passat since it's the same drivetrain:
Golf GTE Cambelt Change Cost

With 5k miles per year you can expect one service per year, alternating between 'oil change' and 'oil change + inspection' ('minor' and 'major' in my view). DSG oil change and spark plugs are every 40k miles or 4 years I think.

Re. completing your purchase, I would do the following:
  • ensure full service history is in place, including any recalls
  • review MOT online for any past failures and action to resolve them if necessary
  • make sure both 13A and Type-2 charge cables are present and correct (they should also come with rubber 'boots' to go round the car-end plug for use in snowy/freezing weather, not that I have ever bothered tbh).
  • check terms of any warranty and ensure it covers hybrid components
  • general body / wheel condition and even tyre wear with reasonable tread, locking wheel nut present, etc.
  • operation of all electrical items and infotainment

Apart from that mine has been pretty flawless apart from a replacement infotainment display under warranty. You'll find mention of DSG gearbox issues on all flavours of GTEs on this forum, but not so many recently from memory, so if it's properly serviced and has a warranty then not much more you can do IMHO. There have been battery pack recall checks also, mainly on Golfs I think unless any Passat owners know otherwise (I've not had one on my 2018).

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hello all,

I'm totally new to EVs, I've just put a deposit down on a 66-plate Passat GTE and I'd like a rough idea of the future upkeep costs. I'm assuming I will need main-dealer servicing due to the high-voltage system? Can anyone tell me a ballpark figure for an annual service (bog standard, no extra work)? For context, I will be driving fewer than 5k miles per year.

Also, has anyone had the 5-year cam belt replacement done – if so, what were you charged?

Thanks in advance for any info!

PS. Is there anything I should look out for before completing the purchase, e.g. known faults/issues with these cars? I know the 6-speed DSG box had an oil change last week, so that's one less thing to worry about.
Hi,
Presumably this Passat GTE is being offered within dealer network? Fortunately this vehicle should be "zero road tax" to go towards servicing costs.You don't mention the mileage but presumably 40 - 50K and may well find that charging cables show little or no use if was BIK "hack".

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,
Presumably this Passat GTE is being offered within dealer network? Fortunately this vehicle should be "zero road tax" to go towards servicing costs.You don't mention the mileage but presumably 40 - 50K and may well find that charging cables show little or no use if was BIK "hack".
Hi, yes you’re spot on re: the mileage and road tax. What is the BIK hack?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't help with servicing costs I'm afraid since mine was a company car and I never saw the costs on service receipts I received. There is a thread on cam belts for Golf GTE which will likely be identical for Passat since it's the same drivetrain:
Golf GTE Cambelt Change Cost

With 5k miles per year you can expect one service per year, alternating between 'oil change' and 'oil change + inspection' ('minor' and 'major' in my view). DSG oil change and spark plugs are every 40k miles or 4 years I think.

Re. completing your purchase, I would do the following:
  • ensure full service history is in place, including any recalls
  • review MOT online for any past failures and action to resolve them if necessary
  • make sure both 13A and Type-2 charge cables are present and correct (they should also come with rubber 'boots' to go round the car-end plug for use in snowy/freezing weather, not that I have ever bothered tbh).
  • check terms of any warranty and ensure it covers hybrid components
  • general body / wheel condition and even tyre wear with reasonable tread, locking wheel nut present, etc.
  • operation of all electrical items and infotainment
Apart from that mine has been pretty flawless apart from a replacement infotainment display under warranty. You'll find mention of DSG gearbox issues on all flavours of GTEs on this forum, but not so many recently from memory, so if it's properly serviced and has a warranty then not much more you can do IMHO. There have been battery pack recall checks also, mainly on Golfs I think unless any Passat owners know otherwise (I've not had one on my 2018).
Many thanks for the detailed reply - I will check all of these points when I collect the vehicle. Glad to hear the DSG has been reliable on the Passats. Apparently mine had the gearbox oil changed last week, which was welcome news. The dealer has promised to do a ”142-Point check“ before handover, so hopefully they'll check the cables, lock nut, etc.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hi, yes you’re spot on re: the mileage and road tax. What is the BIK hack?
"Benefit in kind" as company couldn't care less about fuel consumption, plus time wasted charging vehicle keeps it off the road. You obviously have more confidence in DasWeltAuto 142 point pre-sale check than I do, but at least 12V battery should have been kept charged up.;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"Benefit in kind" as company couldn't care less about fuel consumption, plus time wasted charging vehicle keeps it off the road. You obviously have more confidence in DasWeltAuto 142 point pre-sale check than I do, but at least 12V battery should have been kept charged up.;)
Oh, so they purchase a hybrid for the tax benefits, but operate it like an ICE? Is there any way to tell if the vehicle was mostly used in this way?

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
You obviously have more confidence in DasWeltAuto 142 point pre-sale check than I do
I totally agree, the 142 point check is just a "Tick Box" exercise I.M.H.O.
Bugger that !.
Carry out your own checks and remember :- "Assumption is the killer of all".
Make sure it has both charging cables and ask them to demonstrate that they are working correctly.
The three pin "Granny" cable has a bit of a history with regards to failing.
Check the service history is all up to date and maybe consider taking out the extended warranty with VW.
On my GTE it was about £200 per year.
It's a bit like "Coco" - the back up warranty helps you sleep a little better at night !.
Ask where did the car come from ?.
Did they supply the car from new - if not, where DID it come from ?.
Ask to see the V5 - was it a private owner or a lease car ?.
Was the car a trade in or bought in at action to resale ?.
You could also consider a H.P.I. check to see if has any recorded accident damage against it.
My guess is the dealer would have carried out there own a H.P.I. check themselves, if so ask to see it !.
The dealerships will only provide answers to the questions YOU ask.
Don't expect them to forth coming in providing any history as a matter of fact.
If they become hesitant in any way of providing answers to your questions, then exercise caution.
Treat answers like :- "I will have to check and get back to you on that question" with suspicion.
Trust your gut feeling, if you feel your questions are being avoided, walk away.
If the car is straight and has no issues, they will be only to pleased to provide you with the ALL of the answers.
Don't ask - don't get !.
Good luck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice Carty - the vehicle already comes with a 12-month warranty from the VW dealer, what would be the benefit of the extended warranty in this case?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Oh, so they purchase a hybrid for the tax benefits, but operate it like an ICE?
It can apply to some company car drivers, but by no means all. If you have a PHEV as a company car but also get a fuel card so all your petrol is paid for, then not much incentive for the driver to plug in at home where it's going to cost them extra on their home electricity bill (they'll be worse off financially). For others, as in my case, I don't get fuel included and claim back government fixed mileage rates for actual business miles driven, hence lots of incentive to plug in at home and reduce my fuel bill (works out better than diesel mpg for me overall, even with pretty high annual mileage). Without the BIK benefits I would never have been able to afford such a good car, and it kept one more diesel off the road and improved emissions that little bit.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Thanks for the advice Carty - the vehicle already comes with a 12-month warranty from the VW dealer, what would be the benefit of the extended warranty in this case?
No problem at all !.
If it has a FULL warranty for a 12 months period that covers ALL components ( including the hybrid system ) then nothing.
But do consider it after this warranty expires.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts