Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have just had 1st service on our Zoe and a new 12v battery. We were advised by our local Renault that the next 2 services will cost £200+ and £500+. Do I really need to pay this sort of money for a service. Just finishing a PCP and will have to continue leasing the battery.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
My daughter has a Zoe and my partner had one of the early ones and never paid more than around £100 for a walk round video and car wash!
I hope the 12v battery was under warranty as a standard Halfords one has one for four years.
It is simply not possible to spend £500 on an EV service!

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
No, they shouldn't be anywhere near that high. Not unless they are getting you to do the 12v battery change and brake fluid change in the 3rd year, both of which may not be needed.

Go on here and see what dealers near you are charging. My local dealers are around £85.

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,338 Posts
You can do the battery yourself as long as it's the same spec and quality - this video shows how and which one to get:

Easy to do, even I managed it and I'm fairly inept when it comes to messing with cars.

4th service, yeah that one's hecking expensive. You don't need to change the brake fluid to keep the warranty and chances are it's not needed that early. But I'm not sure when it comes to the terms of a PCP.

Reactions: dparr59

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,763 Posts
Have just had 1st service on our Zoe and a new 12v battery. We were advised by our local Renault that the next 2 services will cost £200+ and £500+. Do I really need to pay this sort of money for a service. Just finishing a PCP and will have to continue leasing the battery.
You only need to get the ‘A’ or ‘B’ service from Renault - or any service centre that is trained to do them.

The extras like battery or pollen filter you can do anywhere or yourself.

Brake fluid change is a little more complex and a whole other thread. ;)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "1st service" but if its after year 1 - the 12V battery should be under warranty if its faulty, as it wouldn't be due replacement (and as said above - whether it needs replaced when Renault say so in their schedule is a matter of debate).
The brake fluid one is expensive as Renault say they have to de-energise the car, and use their computer to pump the fluid out from everywhere, so you're mostly paying for time. The fact that some independents are quite happy to replace the fluid without de-energising is neither here nor there... Strange also that brake fluid contamination checkers are readily available, and most other cars only change brake fluid on condition rather than on a schedule, but as above, that is a debate for a different thread.

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe (ZE40) Q90
1,191 Posts
Renault Cabin Filter From £12.60 plus P&P easy to change yourself

This one is a 5 year warranty one £65 plus :

Battery below link From Amazon ( Yuasa YBX3012 Same battery used in the video a few posts up )

This one is a 3 year warranty one £55 plus :

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I went on the Renault site linked about and picked the cheapest within range

Renault Trowbridge was £72 for an A service which included cabin filter (tbh it’s the only thing they could change)

thise prices are bonkers

that’s “replace cam belt” level costs

JJ

·
Registered
264 Posts
When I ordered my ZE50 a few days ago the lady said the first 2 aren’t expensive but the 3rd service is. I’ve got a few months yet to fathom what actually needs to be done in these service schedules, other then fluids etc. But even then I would assume it’s a case of as and when they need changing, not a specific date and I time! Anyway, something to argue the case with Renault when I time comes I suppose ?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,763 Posts
When I ordered my ZE50 a few days ago the lady said the first 2 aren’t expensive but the 3rd service is. I’ve got a few months yet to fathom what actually needs to be done in these service schedules, other then fluids etc. But even then I would assume it’s a case of as and when they need changing, not a specific date and I time! Anyway, something to argue the case with Renault when I time comes I suppose ?
She’s probably quoting the battery change that’s recommended at year 3. However I believe this has changed to year 4 in the new schedule.

In any case you can have this done anywhere or DIY.

First service is an ‘A’. Second service is an ‘A’ plus ‘B’. Third is an ‘A’, and so on. So shouldn’t be expensive.

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
672 Posts
The other potentially costly service item is changing the brake fluid. There is debate as to whether this requires the traction battery to be disconnected, which adds significantly to the labour charge. The most authoritative dealer input I've seen is that it does. The braking systems is also a little more complex than for an ICE to allow for the computer to modulate between regenerative braking and friction braking, which adds the time to bleed at least one additional point. There seems to be a wide range of pricing being quoted.

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,338 Posts
It's sounding like the coolant change in year 5 (I guess to keep the AC and therefore the battery in tip top shape) is quite costly as well. Bit annoying. But, again, grumble as we might: the Zoe is excellent value as an overall package. The alternative (aside from risking it by ignoring the recommendations) is maybe you have an EV that doesn't need such complex procedures to change fluids but costs a few grand more to purchase. And suddenly maintaining a Zoe doesn't seem so bad ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not sure what you mean by "1st service" but if its after year 1 - the 12V battery should be under warranty if its faulty, as it wouldn't be due replacement (and as said above - whether it needs replaced when Renault say so in their schedule is a matter of debate).
The brake fluid one is expensive as Renault say they have to de-energise the car, and use their computer to pump the fluid out from everywhere, so you're mostly paying for time. The fact that some independents are quite happy to replace the fluid without de-energising is neither here nor there... Strange also that brake fluid contamination checkers are readily available, and most other cars only change brake fluid on condition rather than on a schedule, but as above, that is a debate for a different thread.
Thanks for your reply. Made a mistake, in fact it was a 3rd service. The 12v battery was replaced, my Renault dealer told me that was normal. The thought of spending £500+ on a service seems daft so I will certainly look around for an independent.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts