Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Read Only
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have seen past threads relating to the 1st and 2nd year services and the various servicing plans. I bought my Zoe second hand and it is saying the next service (just over 3 years old) is due in a few months. My nearest garage has quoted me £247 for this service. Can any members who have experience of the 3rd, 4th and 5th services post what the services (not in a service plan) cost please? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Third year service schedule includes 12V battery renewal which makes it considerably more than 1st and 2nd service.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,361 Posts
Book it via Renault online, B service is £63 just had mine done.
Isn't 3 years a C service. It should cost more as the 12v battery gets swapped. £200+ sounds about right to me.

@Stuart Keen I'm just about to book my second. I'll ask my dealer what a third costs while I'm at it.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,361 Posts
@Mo1 you just beat me to it.

·
Read Only
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the replies. I’d agree the battery would have a significant impact. The online tool quoted £150 for the battery and £80 for the service so about right.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,361 Posts
Thanks all for the replies. I’d agree the battery would have a significant impact. The online tool quoted £150 for the battery and £80 for the service so about right.
I wonder if you could get your own cheaper battery and just pay for the service?

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,467 Posts
Well here you can for sure. AFAIK swapping it is recommendation. I had mine checked at the 3 year mark and it was in perfect condition. Still running with it (just over 4 year). And 150 quid is way too much for the standard starter battery anyway. Swapping is a 10 min job. Get a Varta c22. Great battery, and goes for 66 euro here.

Having said all that: sitting at a chargepoint with a failing 12 volt battery is a truly weird experience. Been there, done that, though it was at home and the problem was not the battery itself.

·
Registered
422 Posts
3 years and 50000miles now. Never paid more than £60 for my first 3 services. Last service they wanted to change the battery and I said no. Still running all OK.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Having said all that: sitting at a chargepoint with a failing 12 volt battery is a truly weird experience. Been there, done that, though it was at home and the problem was not the battery itself.
I'm intrigued... Would you care to elaborate?

·
Chartered Engineer
1,859 Posts
Well here you can for sure. AFAIK swapping it is recommendation. I had mine checked at the 3 year mark and it was in perfect condition. Still running with it (just over 4 year). And 150 quid is way too much for the standard starter battery anyway. Swapping is a 10 min job. Get a Varta c22. Great battery, and goes for 66 euro here.

I'd be cautious with the 12V battery, the usage profile on an EV is different to an ICE car so it's probably optimised for high SOC running with continuous charging and long quiescent life. These are much lower volume batteries so will almost certainly cost more.

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
I'd be cautious with the 12V battery, the usage profile on an EV is different to an ICE car so it's probably optimised for high SOC running with continuous charging and long quiescent life. These are much lower volume batteries so will almost certainly cost more.
It’s a standard lead acid battery there’s nowt special about it. £150 is a rip off, just like the £20 they wanted to replace the key card battery.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,729 Posts
It’s a standard lead acid battery there’s nowt special about it. £150 is a rip off, just like the £20 they wanted to replace the key card battery.
It has slightly different characteristics than a standard Halfords job (which would still work I’m sure).

I sourced mine directly and it still cost close to £100.

·
4,467 Posts
@Jack is right. It is a completely standard starter battery (read: thin plates), that is used with a slightly different profile. Although just like an ICE, it is always topped up. The only thing lacking is the few seconds massive draw when starting the ICE. Keeping this type of battery fully charged is good for their life. The reason for advising replacement after 3 years is not so much it has "a bad life" (it really hasn't, check the CanZE graphs how the car treats it), it's that basically when it's a goner, you are stranded and asking a few blokes in the street to give you a push won't help you out.

"Officially" (whatever that is) you "are not allowed" to use starter cables, which worsens the situation, but in reality, that's nonsense, though I would strongly advise to keep the feeding car completely powered down.

@StinkyPete As for the "event": it's more about the "mind" than the technology. Long story short: plug was not entirely seated. Car tried to lock it in an endless loop, draining the 12 volt battery. In the morning, bus voltage was like 5 volt and the car was completely dead. So you're standing next to the car (well you know: "yoh-there!!!! The car doesn't start!!! And I need to leave now!!!"), locked, knowing there is ample juice in the traction battery, cable locked in her nose. Now what?

Of course the solution was remove the emergency key from the keycard, open the car, open the bonnet, hook up an ancient 12 volt charger I had laying around in the garage (which immediately made the car try to bootstrap, drawing too much current, crashing, in an infinite loop, so I had to disconnect the battery to put some juice in it, then reconnect,) car boots up and starts charging the 12 volt battery from the traction battery. Later my friendly mechanic told me I could/should just have used starter cables until it had booted up.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,361 Posts
@yoh-there Would I be right then in assuming that you would not think it would be worth changing for a leisure battery?

·
4,467 Posts
To be honest (here is where I claim "non native speaker") I don't know what a leisure battery is. If that is what we call a traction or semi-traction battery, I'd say no. They are considerably more expensive and my opinion is that 3-5 years life for a 12 volt battery is pretty decent.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,361 Posts
Sorry @yoh-there a leisure battery is the one you have in a caravan, boat and so on. I think it also called a deep cycle battery. One that you can run low and then recharge. More expensive than standard 'starting' battery.

Reactions: yoh-there

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
Sorry @yoh-there a leisure battery is the one you have in a caravan, boat and so on. I think it also called a deep cycle battery. One that you can run low and then recharge. More expensive than standard 'starting' battery.
I don't think there would be any benefit in doing so, I have had a couple of scares with my battery that turned out to be me pulling the BDC fuse which has caused to me to test the battery mine is in tip-top shape if its still the same come third service (if I haven't traded in by then) I won't replace it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts