Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a maintained list of garages that can fully support the Ampera including EV components?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Does anyone know of a maintained list of garages that can fully support the Ampera including EV components?
1. Bellingers. Personally I wouldn't take it anywhere else.

·
Registered
611 Posts
1. Bellingers. Personally I wouldn't take it anywhere else.
Agreed. But big queues for the EV Tech. Have my Volt booked in for a coolant sensor change at my request, asked for asap on 27/8/2020, 1 hr job, got my slot on..................... 1st of October!!! Still a week to go.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Out of warranty try the local HEVRA Garage, They get support from the head office on EV's, I believe one of the founders had an Ampera as well.
Warranty, Bellingers and a few other Vauxhall dealers. Try this thread
I used Therlow Nunn in Luton for some years but they could not do the 5 year battery coolant.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Agreed. But big queues for the EV Tech. Have my Volt booked in for a coolant sensor change at my request, asked for asap on 27/8/2020, 1 hr job, got my slot on..................... 1st of October!!! Still a week to go.
Battery coolant sensor? It takes about 30 seconds to swap over; it just clicks into place. But are you certain it's the sensor? I thought it was the sensor on my Volt, but it turned out to be the wiring to the sensor being damaged by the heat from the exhaust.

Edit: Warning: disconnect the 12v battery first before unplugging the old sensor. Otherwise you will throw a 'service high voltage system' error which needs a module reflashing to fix.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Battery coolant sensor? It takes about 30 seconds to swap over; it just clicks into place. But are you certain it's the sensor? I thought it was the sensor on my Volt, but it turned out to be the wiring to the sensor being damaged by the heat from the exhaust.

Edit: Warning: disconnect the 12v battery first before unplugging the old sensor. Otherwise you will throw a 'service high voltage system' error which needs a module reflashing to fix.
I already have the SHVS error, car wont charge since late August. Been stuck on petrol. Luckily due to CV19 not doing much mileage. Our Volt is a May 2012 MY12 model year and has the proper wiring harness not MY11 fly patch lead. As the fluids where fine when the fault activated can only come to the conclusion the sensor is faulty. So for the low cost of under £20 ordered a new one, £30 to fit and reprogram.

If the code wasn't hard coded and I could clear it with my ELM327 dongle i would change the sensor myself. But the fault codes i pulled off with my ELM327 basically said faulty coolant sensor.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I already have the SHVS error, car wont charge since late August. Been stuck on petrol. Luckily due to CV19 not doing much mileage. Our Volt is a May 2012 MY12 model year and has the proper wiring harness mot my MY11 fly patch lead. As the fluids where fine when the fault activated can only come to the conclusion the sensor is faulty. So for the low cost of under £20 ordered a new one, £30 to fit and reprogram.

If the code wasn't hard coded and I could clear it with my ELM327 dongle i would change the sensor myself. But the fault codes i pulled off with my ELM327 basically said faulty coolant sensor.
Ah, I see. I guess you've read the thread where I fixed the same issue on my car?

·
Registered
611 Posts
Ah, I see. I guess you've read the thread where I fixed the same issue on my car?

Yep. Don't have an old windows 7 laptop to buy the 48hr software licence to reprogram, so decided to let Bellingers fix it then order the defeat device from the USA and fit that.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Yep. Don't have an old windows 7 laptop to buy the 48hr software licence to reprogram, so decided to let Bellingers fix it then order the defeat device from the USA and fit that.
You don't need a Win 7 laptop. That's only for the diag software that is bundled with the nano. The reflashing software (which is downloaded and installed when you buy the reflashing subscription) works just fine with Win 10. Plus once you've purchased the nano it's available for use the next something goes wrong.

·
Registered
611 Posts
You don't need a Win 7 laptop. That's only for the diag software that is bundled with the nano. The reflashing software (which is downloaded and installed when you buy the reflashing subscription) works just fine with Win 10. Plus once you've purchased the nano it's available for use the next something goes wrong.
Fair enough, But it was still a toss up between buying the Nano or paying Bellingers £30 to fit and reprogram and then buying the defeat kit from the usa. Decided on the latter, as we are keeping the Volt , only 1 more payment left in October for £220 then the loan is clear. Q1 next year the wife is going to a BEV via the workplace company car salary sacrifice scheme for 3 years (probably and Pug E-2008). After that in 2024 we are buying something 2nd hand @ 2 years old, (2022 model) Probably a Tesla 3 or Y , maybe a VW ID4. Or maybe a new £25k Tesla compact if available in the UK.

Anyway with less than 150 RHD MK 1 Chevy Volts on the UK, (and not that many worldwide either in RHD) i feel it's a keeper as a future classic, and as we owned it since 2014 and 15k miles, we know the full history, it's reliable as hell, has a perfect 30-40 mile BEV range for a 2nd car and gives us the ability to do 99% EV driving over 2 cars as a family but still drive to Scotland short notice if we ever need too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts