Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this might help other folk who are or will be in the same position as myself. My ZOE S edition is just coming up for a year old now and so is due for it's first service. I had it booked in to be done at Lookers, where a I bought it from, on Wed 25th March. Of course as we all know the lockdown came on Tues that week. Lookers sent me text to say they were closing until the current situation changes, and would be in touch.
I understand and have no problem with that, but ........... Renault stipulate the vehicle must be serviced by a Renault approved agent at the specified intervals to keep the warranty valid. So I duly phoned Renault customer services, who were very helpful. The official line is that as long as the car is serviced at the soonest possible time then no problem, the warranty remains valid. They sent me an email confirming this.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Could you please post a copy of the email (obviously with all your info removed)? It will make it easier if we have a discussion when our's is due its fifth service in a month or two and this isn't over.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Garage doesn't need to be "Renault Approved" (they aren't allowed to say that anymore).
However its still good to know.

·
Registered
507 Posts
They don't - you just have to be able to prove that any parts and work done by another garage were off a similar or better standard to Renault's

·
Registered
137 Posts
Garage doesn't need to be "Renault Approved" (they aren't allowed to say that anymore).
However its still good to know.
Maybe for the first part of the warranty included with the car, the extended warranty however is just an insurance policy in its own standing and i believe doesnt need to follow the same rules as the original warranty period. Why bother regardless? is it really worth the hassle going to the Nth degree proving anything with an insurance company that has armies of people who are dedicated to not paying out and saving £20?

·
Registered
621 Posts
why the zoe needs servicing annually is beyond me, it’s just a money making scam, they do absolutely nothing for their £80-£100 other than the pollen filter every other year

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
672 Posts
Well, this is what the documents say they are supposed to do:

I've shaded green the things that almost anyone can do - it's up to you to decide if you want to pay for someone else to do it. Many people might want a garage to do those shaded yellow. For example, you need a test tool to test the ability of the 12V battery to supply current: Battery tester for 12V battery. The anti-corrosion check has to be done to maintain the body warranty. And the whole thing is supposed to be done by a competent person (i.e. a garage but not necessarily a dealer) to retain the manufacturer's warranty and, presumably, any extended warranty.

So far, I've paid £62 for an A service and £78 for a B service, including the pollen filter (£10 on ebay, £20 at a parts supplier). Dealers will happily not change the pollen filter for you, if you ask, and quote lower. So you are paying about £40 to £60 for half an hour of labour. The battery check would cost you about £10 to £20 at a battery shop or Halfords. This all seems quite acceptable for me compared to an ICE (£50 or so for the engine oil, before you start). And you get to keep your warranties.

Now, how you check that the garage did any of that is a different question!

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I hope this might help other folk who are or will be in the same position as myself. My ZOE S edition is just coming up for a year old now and so is due for it's first service. I had it booked in to be done at Lookers, where a I bought it from, on Wed 25th March. Of course as we all know the lockdown came on Tues that week. Lookers sent me text to say they were closing until the current situation changes, and would be in touch.
I understand and have no problem with that, but ........... Renault stipulate the vehicle must be serviced by a Renault approved agent at the specified intervals to keep the warranty valid. So I duly phoned Renault customer services, who were very helpful. The official line is that as long as the car is serviced at the soonest possible time then no problem, the warranty remains valid. They sent me an email confirming this.
Hi, it's UK law that warranties can be done by ANY VAT registered garage, using equivalent quality parts. it's called block exemption.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,734 Posts
So far, I've paid £62 for an A service and £78 for a B service, including the pollen filter (£10 on ebay, £20 at a parts supplier).
Which is exactly what I’ve done the past two times.

It seems a fair price for checking the software updates and any recalls are applied, or any diagnostic flags that may have appeared. They seem to take all morning to do it.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,741 Posts
It's actually a bit more complicated AND simple than that, simultaneously. I'll explain what I mean:

You don't need to have any servicing at all for the warranty to remain, you can do a rain dance around the car if you like. But .. if the absence of a service can be blamed on a fault arising, then 'that particular fault' is no longer covered under a manufacturer warranty.

For example, if your propshaft drops off then the dealer will simply (and rightly) say 'well, if we had inspected it maybe we'd have seen a split in the gaiter and stopped the failure with a repair'.

But this is potentially a Big Deal with electric cars because you might choose not to do a service and say an inverter power component fails. Well, there's nothing in the service which could have allowed anyone to spot, and to maintain, an imminent electronic component failure. On the other hand, it might be argued that without the correct electronic plug-in process to look for signs of faults or issues then the manufacture is again 'let off the hook', it'd be for you to prove that the service would have made zero difference to this outcome.

The reason I know all this, and why I am quite certain, is that I made a complaint to the motor ombudsman about a case, and appealed it as far as the process allowed short of court. The case went like this: My car was serviced and they did something wrong, so I asked them to deal with it and they made amends. But for clarity I wanted to make sure it hadn't affected the warranty, but the manufacturer did confirm the warranty was no longer valid in relation to any consequences to the work the dealer did. This dealer was one of the manufacturer's UK concessionaires, wasn't independent or anything. Nothing actually came of it, but I made the case. The motor ombudsman upheld the right of the manufacturer to refuse any warranty claims arising from the servicing that any of its dealers had done. Any consequences would be a civil liability onerous on that dealer, and that dealer alone.

The effect of this is that servicing a car is a virtually useless thing to do because the manufacturer can always come back and claim the dealer messed the service up. That being said, it puts the proof of that 'fact' (if it were the case) on to the manufacturer to prove, which they are going to be unable to do unless the dealer admits the error and provides that evidence, in which case it is entirely on them already.

So it comes down to an evidence trail: if you are content that you might have to prove a lack of servicing .. but also servicing done by another party ... was not the cause of a warranty claim fault then it doesn't matter. If you can't be bothered with that scenario, then just get a main dealer to do the work, and never look at what they do else you might find out they cocked up, and really you don't want to know that*. (The one thing to do is take photos of all the car before it is serviced in case it gets cosmetically damaged, and mark your tyres to make sure you get the same ones back** ... always a chance the same vehicle is in and the wheels get accidentally swapped around.)

*(This is on the basis that you don't own the car and are leasing it, because it makes no sense to own a car any more, at least at the moment given leasing prices. If you own the car, you are probably better off missing the servicing, dealers are far more likely to damage a car than benefit it.

**(Assuming the tyres you get back are worse than the ones it went in with, otherwise just assume you made a mistake and the tyres were better than you thought when it went in!! ;) )

·
Registered
Zoe ZE40 R90
531 Posts
Now, how you check that the garage did any of that is a different question!
I have a couple of interesting videos of what was done on my Zoe during service, as my dash cam is hard wired into the interior light housing, and stays on for several minutes even if the car is switched off long enough to shut down.

First off, the tech found a mate, and checked lights, indicators etc. Then they obviously need to chat about technical details for about 9 minutes or so...

There was a lot of checking of paperwork, and ticking items off. There was also the topping up of the screen washer bottle, after a lengthy delay off screen whilst the watering can was presumably refilled.

The car went up on the ramp once, and once the tech entered the car for a couple of minutes, then it was ramp down, another five or six minutes filling in the paperwork, and off to be washed.

Money for old rope.

·
Registered
Zoe ZE40 R90
531 Posts
Unless they find and issue and fix it, like they did with mine.

Probably saved an expensive flatbed ride. So £60 well spent.
Yes, I agree. I worked in the motor trade for 20 years, so it galls a bit, but I'm at an age now when I don't really want to be working on my car, even if I recognised what is under the bonnet now! 😲

·
Registered
621 Posts
Why are Renault saying every year, BMW every 2 years, Nissan something and Tesla are like don’t bother if you don’t want too

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,734 Posts
Why are Renault saying every year, BMW every 2 years, Nissan something and Tesla are like don’t bother if you don’t want too
Probably because they need an excuse to send you to the dealers every year.

I notice that the mileage limit between services has gone up for the new Zoe. No particular reason why they couldn’t do servicing in year 1 and 3, say.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 R135 GT-Line with CCS in Aconite.
148 Posts
If you look on The Honest John site he has replies from various manufacturers regarding the question of being unable to get your car serviced on time. Most manufacturers have responded.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts