Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone save me some time?

I had a 32amp commando socket fitted and bought an Ohme cable to go with it.

I have the Ohme app and it connects to the charger. It is charging a Tesla M3P.

All I want to do is have it supply max current to the car until the car hits whatever charge limits I have set in the car. I don't need cost constraints or charging targets or timing. Just "supply 32 amps until the car says stop".

I can't see how to avoid the charging schedules, nor how to see the information that is shown on the unit (amps, volts etc)...

It actually runs well. The M3P is reporting charging at 8kw, which is better than I have seen from my PodPoint.

Hopefully someone knows how to do it!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not sure that this'll move you forward, but just in case...
When I asked Ohme about using the cable as a dumb cable pending my smart meter, the reply was 'yes it will work as schedulable dumb charger by setting it to "fixed tariff"'.
After that presumably a schedule of 00:00 to 23:59 might do the trick?
Good luck finding a full solution and post back your findings 'cos I've gone down the same commando/ohme-cable route.

Reactions: Johnny Read

·
Registered
627 Posts
After that presumably a schedule of 00:00 to 23:59 might do the trick?
Had a look on the App - anyone can download it, but you need the ohme to scan in the QR code. Im on Agile. In the App, under the tariff there is the option to 'never charge above X.XX p/kWh' just set that to 20p (so at least your not charging 4-7pm)
Next add a new schedule with 100% range added and weekdays or weekends, to 23:59.

However, what doesn't appear to be simple way to swap between agile/fixed operation. e.g if your house is on agile and another location is on a fixed tariff. You have to go into the app and change the above settings.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses.

I am not yet on Agile.

I set the app to 100% charge and a target time of 7am. Plugged it in with a 50% SOC at 5pm.

It seems to work out that it has 14 hours to charge the car. It knows it is an M3P, and so has roughly 75kwh battery. It doesn't know about the 50% existing SoC. So it assumes it has to add 75kwh.

What I want it to do is run at 32amp until the car knows it is at 80% SoC, then the car can stop the charge.

What actually happens is the Ohme works out how long it will take to add 75kwh, then throttles the charging rate to achieve that by 7am.

I know I could sit and work out that, if I want to add 37kwh at full charging speed, it will take roughly 5 hours. I could then go into the app and set the target time to 10pm. But that it's a pain 😔. I want to plug it in and walk away.

·
Registered
277 Posts
@kcrane, just set max change mode as you plug in if thats what you want (the full charge mode). Full charge mode just max-rate charges at all time. The point of ohme is the fact it can be gentler on the battery by charging slower if it doens't need to throw in 7kw max charge (you can turn this, and the green charging off). But if you want it to max change and car stop, you want to hit the "max charge" mode not the schedule. Then it'll throw in max rate fullstop until car says "stop".

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks.

I also discovered that if you do not create any charging profiles, it defaults to dumb charger mode.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Found this while trying to determine whether it is best to let the Tesla or the Ohme decide what to do - some very useful information here, thanks guys.

I am in the process of switching to Octopus but it will be another month or so before I can then migrate to Agile so in the meantime I'm still unsure of the best way to go about this (as you've guessed, I'm very new at this!)

Although I had already discovered that you could hit the Max Charge button and the Ohme screen turns red and charges flat out until the Tesla says stop, I was under the impression that this might not be best for the battery?

However if I set the Ohme to charge to 322 miles (80%) and the car to the same I get a shed load of messages from both telling me charging has stopped unexpectedly - is that usual?

Finally, the Ohme is set to have the 322 miles available by 0800. Initially it then adjusted my end time to 1030 as it said 16hrs wasn't long enough to charge to that level (the car was on 298 at the time!) but now it kicks in at about 0445, stops at 0500, resumes at 0510 and completes at 0515. Is this usual? (BTW the car is kept/charged in an integral garage so there's no issue with weather.)

So, please can someone tell me what I should/could be doing?! 😂

Thanks for any help you can give.

·
Evezy referral code: d4113
200 Posts
Thanks.

I also discovered that if you do not create any charging profiles, it defaults to dumb charger mode.
That's useful to know. I hardly use my home charger (lots of free chargers locally) so with a couple of schedules set up was having to re-read the instruction manual every time I wanted to use it as a dumb cable ie max charge.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts