Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've been trying to setup UVO in my new kia e-Niro that I got this week.

Now I'm pretty sure I'm hearing people say I have to connect my car to Wi-Fi so that I can get a verification code when I press the request button on my phone...

However, there's no option in the car to connect to a Wi-Fi network...and whenever I try to request a code on my phone, I just get "network connection of the car is unstable".

That's what I guess is what people are doing anyway, as I'm hearing all this about using your phone as a wi-fi hotspot for your car to connect to.

Anyone able to clarify?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have Bluelink which is the Hyundai equivalent to UVO. Make sure both the phone and car have a good mobile signal. If you haven't done so already sit in the car and activate UVO in the infotainment settings, send the request from your phone and the verification code appears on the infotainment screen . Enter that code in your phone to sync with the car. I had to move to a different location to get mine to sync.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah right, so it has its own mobile data connection then. Does it say signal strength somewhere? I have tried it with the car in a few places and no luck yet. Will try again, thanks

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
97 Posts
Ah right, so it has its own mobile data connection then. Does it say signal strength somewhere? I have tried it with the car in a few places and no luck yet. Will try again, thanks
Yes, UVO uses the car's onboard 4G data modem. The phone App 'talks' to the car via Kia's cloud service.
The infotainment screen (10.5") displays UVO connection in top RH corner

·
Registered
28 Posts
You have to enable UVO from the car infotainment screen menus. It isn't documented very well, but you get that error message if you haven't enabled it in the car - we hit that too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You have to enable UVO from the car infotainment screen menus. It isn't documented very well, but you get that error message if you haven't enabled it in the car - we hit that too.
Ah ok, that clears up a lot, I'll keep trying it in the car first then, thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had the same issue. Sit in the car and find UVO on the home screen menu and it all made sense after that. The car will display the code number you need for the phone App when you work through the steps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I've tried to activate it but I can't seem to drive anywhere to get signal...
There's always a red line through "UVO" in the top right of the screen

·
Registered
129 Posts
Don't remember exactly but it was easy setup. Have you actually registered for an account on UVO? You have to go on the web and sign up for a UVO account. Don't know you def need all these steps but at least won't be missing anything important. Make sure mobile is connected to car via Bluetooth. On your mobile under BT settings, allow everything to be accessed by Kia Motors. I cannot remember if I had mobile connected via USB as well. Once you activate UVO setup in car it becomes self explanatory. I wasn't sure that the car had its own 4G connection? I can't remember seeing anything in menus that relates to 4G service, signal strength, enable/disable it, etc. I thought car used your mobile data when it connect via BT as a hotspot? If you get stuck there's a couple of videos on YouTube by Kia Motors and EV-olution as well although this is an older version, principles are same.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't remember exactly but it was easy setup. Have you actually registered for an account on UVO? You have to go on the web and sign up for a UVO account. Don't know you def need all these steps but at least won't be missing anything important. Make sure mobile is connected to car via Bluetooth. On your mobile under BT settings, allow everything to be accessed by Kia Motors. I cannot remember if I had mobile connected via USB as well. Once you activate UVO setup in car it becomes self explanatory. I wasn't sure that the car had its own 4G connection? I can't remember seeing anything in menus that relates to 4G service, signal strength, enable/disable it, etc. I thought car used your mobile data when it connect via BT as a hotspot? If you get stuck there's a couple of videos on YouTube by Kia Motors and EV-olution as well although this is an older version, principles are same.
Yea I have an account that I've signed into, it just seems I'm having issues finding signal for it anywhere. I have found in the settings there is an IMEI number and such, so I guess it is using its own data connection.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hi @AdamXA I have an Ioniq. On the Ioniq forums some people had to reboot the infotainment unit sometimes 3 or 4 times. Is there a small hole in the screen that you can insert a pin or paperclip. You might have to check the manual for a reset button. Worth a try.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi @AdamXA I have an Ioniq. On the Ioniq forums some people had to reboot the infotainment unit sometimes 3 or 4 times. Is there a small hole in the screen that you can insert a pin or paperclip. You might have to check the manual for a reset button. Worth a try.
The reset button is next to the volume/off button and press with a paperclip or the like. If still having problems then try calling the UVO number, they're very helpful when I had a problem connecting the API to my charger.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok turns out I am just an idiot lol....

I have figured out why I could not activate it...

I was pressing Activate UVO, and was wondering why the next button was always grey, I assumed it was because after it takes a second to load, that it had no signal or something, since the corner had a red line through the UVO logo.

Little did I know that I was supposed to go through to the terms and conditions and accept them first...
Soon as I did that, the next button lit up and I facepalmed pretty hard.

·
Registered
201 Posts
No problem it is a step we have all have forgotten that we had to do, so now we and you can give additional advice if we see someone else with a similar post in the future. So thanks for posting the result.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts