Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

181 - 200 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well, that begs the question re the Ecotricity 45 minute time limit on charging. I have suggested to Nissan that they negotiate with Ecotricity for an increase to an hour, even if that meant, say, a connection fee of £4. What's the (main) point of having a 40kWh battery if you can't charge it to over 90%! Incidentally, in my 30kWh Leaf, my rule of thumb for legs is 90 miles, but will risk more if the end of the leg is home. Recently travelled 95 miles home and had 31 miles left. Mind, I was bl...y cold. That will be the minor advantage of the imminent 40kWh Leaf, that one could, say, plan 100 mile legs, and use the heater!
That makes great sense. Thank you for taking the time to reply. As an EV Newbie I understand that journey planning will become paramount.
I think that with the new Ecotricity 45 minute charging period, I can reasonably stop at 100 miles, charge for 45 mins at 43Kw, drive another 100 miles and charge again for 45 mins at 43Kw. Not sure how much it is for each charge but I'll post an update.
L that begs tg

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I really couldn't handle 55 mph on a motorway! Besides having large trucks literally breathing down my neck...
You don't get trucks sitting close behind. Pick a fast-ish lorry doing about 58 (actual) and sit behind it. Other lorries don't catch up and those that do will give plenty of clearance and overtake - they can see that you are sat behind another lorry so there's no point in pressurising you.

·
Registered
154 Posts
You don't get trucks sitting close behind. Pick a fast-ish lorry doing about 58 (actual) and sit behind it. Other lorries don't catch up and those that do will give plenty of clearance and overtake - they can see that you are sat behind another lorry so there's no point in pressurising you.
So now you are going at 58, not 55. Okay I do get it, but still way too slow for me to contemplate on a motorway. For me the whole point of a motorway is to drive safely at 70. Sometimes of course traffic is the limitation (M25 at rush hour etc) but usually I find I can cruise at 70+ for the majority of a long motorway drive.

The bottom line for me is that if I have to significantly compromise my speed solely to manage my range then it's a major downside to EV ownership. I'm actually surprised that people are prepared to make such a compromise. That's serious commitment to the cause!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
I get bored after a few miles tailgating one vehicle, the view is really dull, so I tend to change every now and again. Ultimately though, slipstreaming is a tedious technique: we all need to break free and one day, I hope EVs with decent range will be able to cruise at 70 mph free of these range concerns.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I get bored after a few miles tailgating one vehicle, the view is really dull, so I tend to change every now and again. Ultimately though, slipstreaming is a tedious technique: we all need to break free and one day, I hope EVs with decent range will be able to cruise at 70 mph free of these range concerns.
Absolutely.. what a terrible way to drive! It saddens me to see how people advice on which truck is best to follow to preserve battery.. what a sad lot us!

·
Registered
737 Posts
I use a strong, thick extension lead designed for outdoor conditions with rubberised plugs - B&Q should do them. A bright colour or white is a good idea so people don't trip up over them.
I use a plastic sleeve, designed to keep a wounded limb dry in the shower, and which you should be able to get at any pharmacist. These sleeves fit neatly over the LEAF brick and the plug and an extension socket, and they have a drawstring at each end which you can pull tight around the wires.

Make sure that any extension cable you buy is rated 13 amps: A lot of them are 10, and fully unroll it if it comes on a drum. While wound on a drum heat can build up.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
I use a plastic sleeve, designed to keep a wounded limb dry in the shower, and which you should be able to get at any pharmacist. These sleeves fit neatly over the LEAF brick and the plug and an extension socket, and they have a drawstring at each end which you can pull tight around the wires.
Not necessarily a good idea if it causes the brick to overheat due to effectively wrapping it in a warm blanket...

I don't know about the Leaf granny charger but the one for my Ion is rain/splash proof (the case and all cable entries have water proof seals and the reset button is water proof too) so the only thing that needs to be covered up is the 3 pin plug itself which needs to be in an outdoor rated rain proof socket.

I had my granny charger strapped vertically to the wall of the house for nearly 6 months and the only concession to making it rain proof it needed was to plug it into an outdoor rated rain proof 3 pin socket. While it was sheltered by the eaves from gentle rain hard driving rain would still get onto it without any issues.

Obviously you wouldn't lie it on the ground where it may end up sitting in a puddle, but most EVSE's should be splash/rain proof and ok to use outdoors if kept up off the ground and plugged into a rain proof socket.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Not necessarily a good idea if it causes the brick to overheat due to effectively wrapping it in a warm blanket...

I don't know about the Leaf granny charger but the one for my Ion is rain/splash proof (the case and all cable entries have water proof seals and the reset button is water proof too) so the only thing that needs to be covered up is the 3 pin plug itself which needs to be in an outdoor rated rain proof socket.
I did consider that, but because it is a brick, i.e. has no cooling vents, decided that air cooling couldn't be a big deal. And I had no trouble.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
I did consider that, but because it is a brick, i.e. has no cooling vents, decided that air cooling couldn't be a big deal. And I had no trouble.
Just because a device doesn't have explicit cooling vents doesn't mean it doesn't radiate heat to keep cool. Any electronic device that produces heat will need to radiate it somehow.

Luckily an EVSE doesn't dissipate much power as its basically a small circuit board and a giant relay, but as a general rule, wrapping up electronic equipment like this which is designed to be used in open air is a bad idea. Damage to electronics by overheating is often a long term thing. It could last months or years and still fail prematurely due to excess temperatures.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Well, that begs the question re the Ecotricity 45 minute time limit on charging. I have suggested to Nissan that they negotiate with Ecotricity for an increase to an hour, even if that meant, say, a connection fee of £4. What's the (main) point of having a 40kWh battery if you can't charge it to over 90%
Given the way that charging slows as you approach full, I suspect that a 40KwH battery will take a substantially larger charge than a 30KwH in the 45 minutes.

I've found that it makes remarkably little difference to the final %age how much energy was left when you start the charge.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
That's what infra red is for, and is probably why the brick is black.:cool:
Yes, infrared radiation, which will be blocked by putting it inside an insulating bag/sleeve. Thanks for making my point for me. ;)

Even if the plastic sleeve is clear to visible light it will be opaque for infrared, preventing the infrared radiation from the black brick from being radiated into the surroundings. The only way heat can escape when so enclosed is for the bag/sleeve itself to be warmed up until its outside is warm and emits radiation of its own. If the bag is a good thermal insulator this will not work very well.

In essence you have put a warm jacket on your EVSE and the internal temperature of the device will be warmer than without the sleeve...whether detrimentally so is an open question with insufficient information to know one way or the other. All I know is I wouldn't be doing it.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
National Express buses are good for streaming, they have a uncanny ability to maintain 70mph whatever the traffic conditions. :)
National Express coaches are the holy grail of EV motorway driving!

Get close enough and you can hear the air impact volume decrease by quite some margin.

·
Registered
35 Posts
For me the whole point of a motorway is to drive safely at 70. Sometimes of course traffic is the limitation (M25 at rush hour etc) but usually I find I can cruise at 70+ for the majority of a long motorway drive.

The bottom line for me is that if I have to significantly compromise my speed solely to manage my range then it's a major downside to EV ownership. I'm actually surprised that people are prepared to make such a compromise. That's serious commitment to the cause!
Fundamentally it isn't an EV range issue, but an energy efficiency issue. I would generally drive at ~60mph in an ICE anyway, because doing 70 burns considerably more fuel for what is usually an inconsequential time saving.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Fundamentally it isn't an EV range issue, but an energy efficiency issue. I would generally drive at ~60mph in an ICE anyway, because doing 70 burns considerably more fuel for what is usually an inconsequential time saving.
Back when I had a Citroen XM diesel I was warned that diesels are not efficient at high speed, but was still surprised how quickly the fuel gauge went down at 70ish, but with a 90Lt tank it was not such a worry.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Back when I had a Citroen XM diesel I was warned that diesels are not efficient at high speed, but was still surprised how quickly the fuel gauge went down at 70ish, but with a 90Lt tank it was not such a worry.
I suppose in either kind of vehicle, you pay a premium for going fast. With an ICE, you pay it primarily at the pump, with an EV, you pay for it primarily when you buy a car with a bigger battery.

Some models are presumably less inefficient than others as speed increases as well, but there'll be trade offs with other requirements, like cabin/cargo space, number of seats, cost.

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,121 Posts
I'd have thought a good compromise on motorways would be to sit at 55-60 on the inside where you can (to me 10mph difference doesn't make much difference yet saves energy) but push on shall we say "70ish" when overtaking so that you're not 'that guy' who sits in the middle lane forever going past a 56mph lorry while doing 57. Then back off again when in a good free stretch of inside lane.

That's how I drive dual carriageways too, I see 60 as the cruising speed and 70 as the overtaking speed

With plenty of range to spare I'd do 70ish more, and obviously if stretching range (dead of winter, poor planning etc) then slowly trundle along matching whatever's crawling in front.

181 - 200 of 232 Posts