Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

201 - 220 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
I'm sure people don't just lock into 55 mph and stick there. A bit of awareness is needed obviously. When to overtake get away from aggressive drivers etc. I don't see anything sad about maximising efficiency. It all seems a bit sad to me that people don't care about their environment and the conditions the next generation will grow up in. Sure if there is a genuine reason to hurry, but if it's as it often is just a sense of urgency or some assertion of power then that is a shame. Better to learn to live with the present than spend our time racing to the next imagined future.

·
Registered
40 Posts
[QUOTE="A 10m type 2 cable which will get you a charge in most circumstances where the bay is ICEd (albeit you cannot leave the car charging unattended.)[/QUOTE]
This seems quite a common problem in supermarkets and other car parks that get pretty busy.
When I once complained to the person at the "Customer Services" desk about an ICE occupying a charging bay I didn't get any sympathy or help. Yet in the car park in question there were big notices about "fines" (charged by the car park operator) for parking in a disabled bay (without a blue badge) or one reserved for cars carrying children (without said kids). So why no fine warning notice for occupying a charging bay when not actually charging?
Surely there should be a way for reporting such inconsiderate ICE-only motorists? EG... take a photo of the offending car and its reg no.... but where to post this? Who would be able to follow it up?
Otherwise I could understand a desparate EV driver blocking in the offending vehicle, (if this could be done safely), plugging-in via a long Type 2 for the full (3 hour?) recharge cycle, and then just walking away.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
We tow our caravan at 50. Slow enough that lorries can easily overtake us without any issues.

We often see caravans being pulled at 70 mph and then you hear of snaking and accidents.
You just try towing a glider trailer at that speed, especially downhill! It's pretty frightening when they start snaking! Aren't caravans, like other trailers, limited to 60mph?

·
Registered
692 Posts
My 2p...

If lorries have to overtake me on a motorway, then I feel that I'm going too slow and am a hazard. Don't all start shouting at me! :D

Forgetting about the motorway speed limits, I do what makes me feel safe, without causing anyone else to get p**sed off... I hope!

A long time ago, I had to drive my van ("car based" Fiat Scudo) for about 60 miles on the M6 at around the 50mph mark, due to an engine problem. Lorries were passing me, flashing lights, sounding horns and I felt VERY unsafe. I felt bad because I couldn't explain my problem to them.

The slowest I would drive on a motorway is behind a lorry. If another lorry overtakes him, then I'd follow him instead. Any time I feel "unsafe" or too slow, I'd accelerate for a while and slow down again later, when it was safer to do so.

My wife is always shouting at me for being so considerate that it costs me time, but that's just me. I hate to be a problem, cause anyone a problem or hold anyone else up.

On another note... My father always used to say "If you cause anyone to change speed or direction, you are in the wrong". Not saying this would happen much on a motorway, but as a general "rule of thumb" for driving any car on any road. I feel that this is a good rule to follow and lessens the chance of causing anyone any grief.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
my 2p. Forget EH and route plan using an alternative with chargers located just off motorway junctions. Usually much more pleasant eating and toilet facilities, more modern charging equipment with live status via zap map.

·
R110 ZE40 Zircon Blue
2,147 Posts
my 2p. Forget EH and route plan using an alternative with chargers located just off motorway junctions. Usually much more pleasant eating and toilet facilities, more modern charging equipment with live status via zap map.
Agreed I am planning a 600 miles trip and we are heading into major towns vs the EH stops - lots and lots of 22-43kWh options - at some nice peaceful places. The last one is going to be a Lidl with a free rapid 10 miles from our destination (where I won't be driving at all)

I find A roads the best I can go from here to Gloucester which is about 25 miles and only us 15 miles of range due to the ups and downs of the road1

·
Registered
18 Posts
You just try towing a glider trailer at that speed, especially downhill! It's pretty frightening when they start snaking! Aren't caravans, like other trailers, limited to 60mph?
I don't make a habit of it, but my glider trailer (a Cobra) tows like a dream even at well over 70...! I have no qualms pulling out and overtaking if needs be. Haven't had it snake yet. Obviously the wing roots are at the hitch end.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Infinity towing fails out there.

Presuming this truck is travelling at 60mph, the SUV/trailer is travelling about 70mph (3 secs to travel ~12m past the truck)

This dude appears to try to accelerate hard out of the fishtail.

Doesn't do too well.

·
R110 ZE40 Zircon Blue
2,147 Posts
Yes yes you can :) I did this very thing this morning (and also on a First group bus)

Although most national express coaches I get behind are doing 70 :(

·
R110 ZE40 Zircon Blue
2,147 Posts
Infinity towing fails out there.

Presuming this truck is travelling at 60mph, the SUV/trailer is travelling about 70mph (3 secs to travel ~12m past the truck)

This dude appears to try to accelerate hard out of the fishtail.

Doesn't do too well.

I did this once on the M1 - same situation - I put my foot on the brake and we went over - indeed accelerating is the right things to do.

I had literally just brought the caravan and was towing it home - never been near once since and never will

·
Will it ever happen ?
205 Posts
I use a strong, thick extension lead designed for outdoor conditions with rubberised plugs - B&Q should do them. A bright colour or white is a good idea so people don't trip up over them.
Should be a 1.5mm blue lead (230v) and a walk over cover (trip hazard)

·
Registered
502 Posts
I did this once on the M1 - same situation - I put my foot on the brake and we went over - indeed accelerating is the right things to do.

I had literally just brought the caravan and was towing it home - never been near once since and never will
No, don’t try to accelerate out of it, nor slam the brakes on either! The best technique is to ease off and reduce power gently as as possible whilst steering into the skid. That is to say as the tail end swings out to the left, you also steer left (and right vice versa) sufficiently to keep the towing vehicle front wheels heading forwards. Accelerating once a fishtail starts is liable to feed energy into the pendulum effect and make things worse.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Reading the pre-planning needed on long EV trips indicates how important it is in the current state of technology to choose the right vehicle type for the use you are going to make of it. In 10 years time we will probably have a reliable charging network across Europe and much better battery technology allowing for much faster charging times. Personally I am happy to have a PHEV - it handles the commuting on electricity perfectly and when I have the long journeys to make I don't have to plan so much. I spend a fair bit of time on the Isle of Man - it would be absolutely perfect for an EV - the problem is getting there from the south west of Ireland which involves longish journeys, a big mix of traffic volumes and having to meet ferry timetables. Doing this with an EV would add considerable time to the journey and I suspect increase my stress. On the positive side a lot of the ferries do now have bookable on board charging facilities which would make good use of the crossing.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Reading the pre-planning needed on long EV trips indicates how important it is in the current state of technology to choose the right vehicle type for the use you are going to make of it. In 10 years time we will probably have a reliable charging network across Europe and much better battery technology allowing for much faster charging times.
100% correct. Pick the right tool for the job.

I do think we're heading for a strange 'nowhere land' though WRT public charging, especially in the next 10 years. With most EVs capable of 200+ miles between top ups by then, a lot of chargers will be sitting unused. If people can charge at home, they will. People who can't charge at home will probably make up the lions share of public charger usage.

201 - 220 of 225 Posts
About this Discussion
224 Replies
86 Participants
Soupdragon
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing