Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

221 - 225 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Ah but what we are used to as the right tool for the job and what we actually need are 2 different things

I have a dewalt rechargeable £150 drill - for 90% of the time I just need a £2 screwdriver.

The other times I only need a £15 Lidl mains drill.

(Both of these are in my garage too)

Same with cars or houses or bikes or TVs or anything - we pick what we want to own not what we actually need.

Do we need a 500mile range car?
Do we need to charge that 500miles in 5mins?

We like life to be easy these days ;)

JJ

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've made a couple of very long multi-day Leaf journeys this year, one of which was 1600 miles right around the UK in 12 days. I've had a few days of some 350 miles in under 12 hours, and never run out of power: so here are some thoughts on keeping it easy and getting from A>B quickly. Some of these are probably old hat to experienced EV drivers, but we do get lots of newbies, so this is for them.

1) never rapid charge above 80% - 90% when on the move unless you really need to or simply have loads of time. The last 20% takes ages.
2) phone ahead (on a weekday, working hours) to get the latest info on the electric highway, don't rely on zapmap service status - or any other online information - as it is often out of date
3) When using single or unknown rapids - try to charge every 40-50 miles on average - always keep a decent reserve for Plan B (which is either the next rapid or a Type 2)
4) Figure out a speed that gives you a 20% remaining margin of error for your car - conditions can change. On motorways 55 mph seems about optimum cruising speed, but when you have a reliable charger ahead then 65 mph is fine.
5) In rural and remote areas, aim to stop overnight at friends houses, youth hostels or B&Bs - they are much more laid back than hotels about charging your car. Use the brick overnight, and carry a ten metre extension lead to drape through windows or whatever.
6) If you don't get a charge from any charger, be persistent and methodical, it can often take a few tries. One common and puzzling error is to leave the charging timer on: always switch it off on any long trip.
Carry three main cards: CYC, Ecotricity electric highway, and Polar - plus any regional network cards required - such as the SSE card in Hampshire.
7) Don't panic when going up long hills like Beattock summit or Shap fell - you will lose a lot of power but gain much of it back downhill.
i sat at 90% for ages before, when i first got zoe...will not be doing that again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
How’s your advice changed since 2015? We’ve got bigger batteries, better cars, and more chargers now. Are you less paranoid about running out?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Things have changed since the early days of EVs. Whilst there are cars with bigger batteries out there many of the earlier cars are now struggling with batteries losing capacity. In 2015 I drove a 24Kwh from Brighton to Edinburgh. It was a challenge but I planned for it. Last year I drove the same Leaf from Brighton to York. The route stops I had used three and a half years earlier did not work as the battery had lost some capacity.

The big problem was getting around the M25. Although there are chargers at Cobham the increased demand from more cars on the road and broken chargers meant that delays were likely.

It's true we have so many more chargers but there are still gaps and we have to rely on some old hardware in the motorway services.

I am shortly going to retrace my route back to York with a new car and will report back how it went. I have never been paranoid about long runs. Just cautious. Hopefully my report back will not be sent from the passenger seat of a flatbed.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I am shortly going to retrace my route back to York with a new car and will report back how it went. I have never been paranoid about long runs. Just cautious. Hopefully my report back will not be sent from the passenger seat of a flatbed.
There's a load of new chargers these days handy for the M1. I travel between York and Birmingham regularly and, once on the M1, seldom need to use EH chargers.

221 - 225 of 225 Posts
About this Discussion
224 Replies
86 Participants
Soupdragon
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing