Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

241 - 245 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
What is wrong with you people if you are that worried about range anxiety go back to a fossil fueld car or plan your journey properly instead of driving dangerously close to large lorries .Have you thought of driving a little slower in the left hand lane of the Motorway or dual carriageway to eek out your milage.
I don't think anyone is advocating driving dangerously close to a lorry.

However, you get considerable benefit by following a lorry at a safe distance and when doing that it's less likely that another lorry will overtake you to tuck in behind 'your windbreak'.

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
The problem with following a lorry within a distance to take advantage of the 'draught' effect is that you can't then see what's in front of that lorry. If that lorry driver is asleep at the wheel and runs into another stationary lorry then it would stop instantly - with zero warning. Which would also spoil your own day.

One solution was designed by Samsung some years ago but wasn't widely accepted. I wouldn't mind following a lorry equipped with such a device but steer clear otherwise even if it means using a few more electrons.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I’d say the only EV suitable for long trips is a Tesla because of their range. 300+ miles per charge and supercharger stops all over the World.
If you are looking at getting one you get 1000 FREE Supercharger miles with my code -

Earn Free Supercharging Miles or a $250 Cash Award
Not
I’d say the only EV suitable for long trips is a Tesla because of their range. 300+ miles per charge and supercharger stops all over the World.
If you are looking at getting one you get 1000 FREE Supercharger miles with my code -

Earn Free Supercharging Miles or a $250 Cash Award
Not everyone can afford a Tesla, I was tempted to buy one but they are having build quality problems and for the high price I don't think they are worth it. Don't get me wrong I think they are a fantastic car but for a first time buyer of a full EV I settled for the MG zs exclusive which to my mind was a no brainer. It's not perfect but nor is a Tesla. As for the driving range I don't find it a problem , I've been getting up to 180 miles from a full charge useing the maximum regeneration mode driving 50 to 55 mph .To my mind the MG was a steal as not only did I get the £3.500 grant from the government but MG matched that with another £3.500 off. Granted that was for the first 2.000 buyers, but as the saying goes the early bird catches the worm.This is the second Chinese MG I have owned the first was an MG6 turbo magnette which I bought new in 2013. I kept it for four years the build quality was good and the only issue I had was the back up battery for the alarm kept going flat but was sorted under warranty. Looking at my next E V I'm thinking of the new MG four seater sports coupe that may come to the market in 2021 /2022. At the end of the day it's horses for course's and what you can afford.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
Not

To my mind the MG was a steal as not only did I get the £3.500 grant from the government but MG matched that with another £3.500 off. Granted that was for the first 2.000 buyers,
Yes,as the O.P. I've moved on from my Leaf: we now own an Hyundai Kona 64 kWh SE, and an MG ZS EV as our slightly larger family car: like you I thought the MG offer was too good to miss.
The Kona is as good as a Tesla for range: I'm getting over 5 mils per kWh out of it at present, and on the motorway it is a confident and comfortable long range EV.

Reactions: arao99
241 - 245 of 245 Posts