Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
It seems that Ampera has a way of making people communicate more often... :)
Yesterday I got the “Service Battery Charging System “ error. It was while I was driving through a curvy road in the mountains. The red battery sign on dashboard appeared and after a minute or so disappeared. After a few minutes, 10 to 15, appeared again and again disappeared after a minute or so. The car was running fine and didn’t noticed anything out the ordinary.
One more thing...for a few weeks I started hearing from the trunk a noise, like a boiling noise. First I thought that it’s something that this car does, thinking about the noises that you hear when you stop the car. But this is happening every time I power on the car and goes on until power it off.
I searched the forum for this error but didn’t find anything. I think it’s me to blame...Talked to the local Opel dealer but they don’t service Ampera. I have to go 180km to a dealer that services Ampera. What advices can you give me? Because it’s a rare car here in Romania they may stack a few things for a hefty bill...
Thank you guys !

It's electricity time. Go electric ! Now !

·
Registered
651 Posts
I seem to remember that the charger and 12v Battery charger are both the same unit and are in the trunk and are air cooled, I suspect that you are hearing a cooling fan going bad. It might be replaceable or you may have to swapout the complete charger unit.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I seem to remember that the charger and 12v Battery charger are both the same unit and are in the trunk and are air cooled, I suspect that you are hearing a cooling fan going bad. It might be replaceable or you may have to swapout the complete charger unit.
It might be...yesterday after getting back I noticed that the cover of the trunk was warm or much hotter than other times. It’s true that I didn’t check before :) ...but it seemed hotter that it should be.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Swapping the whole charger unit ? Damn...Sounds pricey...

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Hmm, some of the HV charger lives under front RHS seat under carpet, another bit behind front RHS bumper. Maybe it's just the 12V charger in the back? Time to unscrew the rear boot floor. And go for a drive with a friend in the back!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm, some of the HV charger lives under front RHS seat under carpet, another bit behind front RHS bumper. Maybe it's just the 12V charger in the back? Time to unscrew the rear boot floor. And go for a drive with a friend in the back!
It’s a way to put it but can you be more specific ? What to look for ?
Ps : Thank you Andy ! :)

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
It’s a way to put it but can you be more specific ? What to look for ?
Ps : Thank you Andy ! :)

Time to get the 75 MB Volt Service Manual & browse the pics. I've posted this link recently here. HV charger stuff mostly at the front of car. So funny noise in trunk could be anything, squirrel munching your wiring (just kidding!), Anything. Fan bearing sounds quite likely tbh. Just got to listen closely. Maybe grab an MP3 & post it here?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Time to get the 75 MB Volt Service Manual & browse the pics. I've posted this link recently here. HV charger stuff mostly at the front of car. So funny noise in trunk could be anything, squirrel munching your wiring (just kidding!), Anything. Fan bearing sounds quite likely tbh. Just got to listen closely. Maybe grab an MP3 & post it here?
I was thinking of recording the sound and post it here. I also have an appointment at the only dealer servicing Ampera on Wednesday , 180km away...more info to come.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
There is a fan used I think to cool the DC-DC power supply under the rear floor of the boot, maybe that has something trapped in it or possibly the bearing has failed on it so causing noise.

Reactions: HandyAndy

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is a fan used I think to cool the DC-DC power supply under the rear floor of the boot, maybe that has something trapped in it or possibly the bearing has failed on it so causing noise.
Russ you’re damn right ! Also Andy gave some hints...squirrely :)
So...today I’ve been to the dealer and they told me it is the 14V charger fan. They also said that after the fan replacement it might be needed a software update for the inverter module...I’m not sure for this part because they were pretty vague. Everything nice until here...replacement fan price : 585 € /527 £...service labor 123€/ 111 £. If I will buy the part and replace it in there a 20% will be offered.
So...around 700€ for this incredible fan !
Just came back home and did the math...not sure that I will do it, at least not right now.
Btw, changing the module for the steering column lock error would cost around 411€/ 370£.

Any suggestions for not getting ripped off ?

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
It's surely not beyond the capabillity of a decent engineer to swap out the bearing on that fan, and put a new one in.

We don't know if it's a ball-race bearing that's gone dry & pitted (= deffo dying), or an Oilite type that's just gone a bit rattly. So you could try to get some lube in there, if you can insert a spray grease can with one of those v long thin tubes on it. Might get you a few more quiet days driving!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's surely not beyond the capabillity of a decent engineer to swap out the bearing on that fan, and put a new one in.

We don't know if it's a ball-race bearing that's gone dry & pitted (= deffo dying), or an Oilite type that's just gone a bit rattly. So you could try to get some lube in there, if you can insert a spray grease can with one of those v long thin tubes on it. Might get you a few more quiet days driving!
Thanks Andy ! Funny as always
A few days might not be enough. The dealer told me that the error “service battery charging system” might be related to this fan. I’m also thinking that it might be related with the fact that I changed the 12V battery in a year and a half.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Has anyone any idea about the inverter software update ? Assuming that I can change the bearing or change the fan , do I have to go to the dealer and make the update ?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts