Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I’m developing a slight OCD action when using fast chargers, I now always give a couple of quick shakes toward the floor to get any water out prior to plugging in, and more often than not some does come out normally!

Is there actually a need to do this or does a bit of water not matter? Anyone else do this?

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,886 Posts
I have, ever since starting out in EVs, wondered when the first legal case will arise.

Say an EV user discovers, after a charge or attempted charge, there is damage to their car's charging port and matching damage to the charger lead plug.

Who is liable?

The car owner claims it was a fault with the cable, which damaged their car, and the charger owner claims it was the person's car that damaged their lead.

I expect it will be assumed 50/50 and therefore unprovable by civil claims means.

On the basis of self-preservation, I therefore always spend a moment ensuring the plug I am about to stick into my precious car is fit and not contaminated or damaged in any way.

@JohnMars , there is nothing OCD about what you propose whatsoever. It is absolutely logical self-preservation of your property, as well as making sure you don't get a failed charge! Anyone who doesn't do this sort of thing is just being reckless.

There may be cases where what looks like OCD is really OCD to reckless folks, but I strongly believe this is a case where recklessness by others really is reckless from the POV of an OCD-er.

Rest easy. Keep doing 'that'.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
4,312 Posts
I’m reckless.

I just rock up, pull it out, shove it in, no shaking...

But I do also repeatedly press the tv remote control button a bit harder when it doesn’t respond due to failing batteries...

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m reckless.

I just rock up, pull it out, shove it in, no shaking...

But I do also repeatedly press the tv remote control button a bit harder when it doesn’t respond due to failing batteries...
Are we still talking charging? ;)

Rebel!!! How are you not a quivering wreck! I got up once to change channel, only to discover I didn’t know where to press on a modern tv. When I lived at home in had 4 push buttons on the front!

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Wise action I think. My 3 yr old EV developed a short in the Type 2 socket and killed my Rolec (some would say they deserve to die!). The rubber seal on charge flap collects rainwater brilliantly, and pushes that into the socket if you shut flap without drying it out first! I wonder if prev owner failed to dry the socket & seals.

·
Registered
2019 Kona 65Kw 2017 Outlander phev gx4hs
540 Posts
I think I’m developing a slight OCD action when using fast chargers, I now always give a couple of quick shakes toward the floor to get any water out prior to plugging in, and more often than not some does come out normally!

Is there actually a need to do this or does a bit of water not matter? Anyone else do this?
I always shake after i have finished using it

·
Registered
2019 Kona 65Kw 2017 Outlander phev gx4hs
540 Posts
More than three shakes and you could get arrested if you are standing outside

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,175 Posts
I really don't bother with that. I think they are designed to cope with a bit of moisture. Only time I'll give it a shake is if I'm picking a connector up from a puddle in the ground.

I do however carry a pack of alcohol wipes with me to clean the contacts of the Chademo connector. If they get too dirty it causes the charger to throw up a communication error. That's saved my butt more than a few times.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts