Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are at last going on our delayed from last year holiday to Cornwall and the West Country. We were planning to use the 40kWh Leaf as we are stopping off on the way with no day's driving more than 200 miles. Financially we'd save a bit with the Leaf and its nicer to drive, but the forecast for weather is not good so I'm leaning toward the diesel (Renault Grand Scenic) so there is one less thing to worry about. Trip is Ipswich to Newquay with stop offs on the way and touring round Cornwall. What would you do?

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
We are at last going on our delayed from last year holiday to Cornwall and the West Country. We were planning to use the 40kWh Leaf as we are stopping off on the way with no day's driving more than 200 miles. Financially we'd save a bit with the Leaf and its nicer to drive, but the forecast for weather is not good so I'm leaning toward the diesel (Renault Grand Scenic) so there is one less thing to worry about. Trip is Ipswich to Newquay with stop offs on the way and touring round Cornwall. What would you do?
What has the weather got to do with BEV versus diesel? It's summer!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Which is going to provide the most relaxing, stress-free holiday with the flexibility to follow your own route, to your own schedule and visit wherever takes your fancy? - I'd be taking the diesel.

I looked at how an EV would manage a number of holidays I've made over the years in an ICE, but unfortunately a lot of coastal resorts still seem to have really poor charging infrastructure, and a lot of what they do have seems to be at specific hotels, holiday parks or venues rather than for general public use. Looked like it would need a lot of focus on the charging needs of the EV, rather than enjoying the holiday.

·
Registered
169 Posts
When I had my generation 1 Leaf on its PCP phase from 2017 to 2109 Nissan would provide a diesel Quashqai for 2 weeks per year for just this situation. You had to book ahead and just pay insurance and fuel used. It was a feature of their PCP which I never used.

Not sure this on more recent PCPs?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 R135 Iconic
127 Posts
We are at last going on our delayed from last year holiday to Cornwall and the West Country.
FWIW, we had a week-long road trip around Devon, Dorset and Cornwall (about 1,400 miles - including travelling from/to London) and I had no problems whatsoever charging any time I needed, even using almost exclusively BP and the occasional Shell 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
211 Posts
Take the Leaf and then tell us all about it. I had four Grand Scenics over the years, I know how that story goes. Last year we took a Leaf (62, so slightly different) from Co Durham to Devon without issues and this year we're taking two. Do it! 😊

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
If you are 100% sure you can plug in at all the places you are staying overnight then maybe take the Leaf. If you can't then it's going to be much less stressful taking the diesel.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
30,760 Posts
.... Financially we'd save a bit with the Leaf ....
Not seeking to challenge you on either choice, but how did you calculate that? Are we talking mileage costs only or whole car ownership?

As most of your miles on this round trip will be from public chargers, what do the sums look like?

(PS No car can ever be more uncomfortable than a near flat BEV that's just been turned away from a public charger because it was out of action.)

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna '64 reg
1,528 Posts
As a Leaf 24 and Octavia diesel owner, we own the diesel for things exactly like this (the other 10% longer distance use case). In fact, my wife would insist taking the diesel.

For Leaf 40, it may change things, especially as you say it's no more than 200 miles (1 rapid) each day.

I think end of the day, it's all about the charging network. If you can reliably get a charge without much queuing, at any location the maps says has charger(s), then it's a no-brainer. Essentially as reliable as current petrol stations. But to be brutally honest, we all know the current state of rapid charger network.

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2021
85 Posts
We have a Kia Soul here in beautiful Dorset, so the range to Cornwall wouldn’t be a problem as we could charge at relatives home chargers for the week there.
However, we have family in The Lake District which means a 325 mile journey there and we would have to rely on using a granny charger there, so we bought a new Citreon diesel C4 3 years ago, specifically for that length of journey. It’s only done 7.8k and comes in handy for the odd time when we need 2 cars for things like the school run, when the Kia is being used for the one day a week for getting to work.

The shambles that is the UK public charging structure at the moment, means I’d take the diesel for any trips longer than 250 miles and avoid the hassle.🤔

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,473 Posts
It depends on where in Devon and Cornwall you are going. There's a lot of blackspots and only single geniepoint rapids in many areas.

Diesel will be a lot easier and less faff.

Depends on whether you want a bit off faff in return for the quiet wafting in the Leaf. I'd think visiting places with 7kw posts as much as possible would make the difference between it working fine and it being a pain in the backside.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Worry about more long term CO2/NO released with the diesel.

What will the children do over their lifetime with more CO2. No one will put it back again.
As climate change is now a massive and growing industry, taking the Leaf could put youngsters out of jobs...

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,197 Posts
Use the diesel in this case, but seek to reduce your overall annual CO2 emissions by some other means such as reducing your energy use for heating etc.

I'd also be tempted to use the larger car anyway as it'll be easier to spend the amount of time in. Long term it'll be easier to choose a BEV but we are not there yet.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Whether you take the Leaf or the diesel will matter not one bit from an environmental perspective apart from your own thinking.
Use whichever is more convenient, it's a holiday afterall, a time to enjoy yourself and hopefully some relaxation.
Personally, I'd take the diesel.
Then again I'm gearing up to cycle LEJOG/JOGLE for my holiday kicks (Lands End to John O'Groats then John O'Groats to Lands End) for the crack of it via a circular route I've been planning that should allow approx 70% of travel to be on quiet country lanes or off-road altogether.
Go hard or go home!!

·
Zoe Devotee
9,272 Posts
I used my Zoe for all holidays for a couple of years until the sudden realisation that I wasn't getting a holiday, I was pretty much subjecting my family and myself to the stresses of finding working AC rapids en-route and making sure we could head out each day with sufficient charge for the day.

For some holiday trips I would still use the Zoe, like our yearly jaunt to Aviemore because it was only 1 stop en-route and we could generally charge on a granny lead overnight. But for long trips we took my partners ICE B-max because even though it had less space we wouldn't have to stop more than necessary and deciding what to do each day based on weather was far more rewarding than basing what we were doing on range/charging options.

However, for better or worse (we will soon find out) we've got a trip to the Lakes booked and now I have the MG with CCS the longer range and increased options for charging has convinced me to try a holiday trip in an EV. Technically its a 1 stop trip, but as usual the options for charging locally are scant so I'll need to change what ABRP has suggested and stop a second time about 30miles from destination to charge up to as close to full as I can to ensure I've got enough range for the next day.

It might be an easier drive than with an ICE on paper but in reality when your in 5th gear the vast majority of the time the only difference is a slight drop in interior noise but a big increase in charging anxiety.

Reactions: Scrooge and Swagman

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,473 Posts
Lake district is full of Booths supermarkets with multiple Instavolts so it's nowhere near the desert it was. Devon and Cornwall really need someone to do the same at their supermarkets. The solo rapid at a Morrisons really isn't enough.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts