Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only going out for essentials so driving less than twenty miles a week.
Before the dreaded disease regularly over 200 miles a week.

How do we adopt to the changes such as runners going down white line to avoid pedestrians. Pedestrians in road to pass other people. Cyclists taking a line two metres out from kerb.
Think we all need refresher training to share the roads. It’s dangerous out there.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
It's the drivers responsibility to avoid them, if necessary passing safely when possible.
Expect "new" cycle lanes, some informal, to appear in lots of places and road closures to cars that aren't on Sat Navs.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
I run defensively at oncoming traffic
Interesting choice of words, but much better practice than the ones near me that cross regularly from side to side without looking and hence are occasionally in the middle of the road and you are don't know if they are aware of you, compounded by their use of headphones meaning that they may not hear you.
Sharing is the key word in this discussion, nobody owns the exclusive use of the roads, particularly where there are no or inadequate pavements and cyclepaths.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
At least some (most?) of them observe social distancing rules. I had one run right past me in a narrow lane recently. That sort are a menace - have you seen the studies of the breath trail they leave behind them?

As for running towards cars expecting them to get out of your way - good luck with that. :)

·
Registered
552 Posts
You’re supposed to be in the opposite carriageway to the flow of traffic so you can see oncoming cars, I’d much rather run towards cars then have them behind me, it’s part of the Highway Code

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
You’re supposed to be in the opposite carriageway to the flow of traffic so you can see oncoming cars, I’d much rather run towards cars then have them behind me, it’s part of the Highway Code
Isn't that what people do anyway? I always do if walking on a country road with no pavements. It's a basic common sense "staying alive" strategy.

I also usually try and get out of the way, rather than...
reagan24.jpg

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Not around here, and particularly not the MAMILs.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Regarding pedestrians and runners:
Isn't that what people do anyway? I always do if walking on a country road with no pavements. It's a basic common sense "staying alive" strategy.
Agreed, but on a right hand bend with no verge (so the edge of the road is hard up against a hedge) I cross to the left hand side of the road so that I have a better view of any oncoming traffic (while also looking out for any traffic coming from behind me).

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Three abreast is the width of the road. ;)

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Agreed, but on a right hand bend with no verge (so the edge of the road is hard up against a hedge) I cross to the left hand side of the road so that I have a better view of any oncoming traffic (while also looking out for any traffic coming from behind me).
Yes, I do do exactly that as well.

Re the post above there's a (very) non-PC joke about that:
How many men does it take to lift Dolly Parton?

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Regarding pedestrians and runners:

Sadly you are one of a minority who even think about such things.
Even on a pavement you should walk on the left (pass right-right) so the person nearest the traffic can see what dangers may present, especially if stepping into the road is needed on a narrow path.
But I find more than half of people try to force the opposite.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
You mean that you don't trust the oncoming driver to be able to stop or be willing to go around you? :unsure: As if anyone would drive that irresponsibly. ;) It does however lead to drivers from behind potentially finding you walking on the "wrong side" of the road and complaining here about it, although that has to be preferable to being dead.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Up here in Derby I've seen absolutely no concessions to cyclists or pedestrians whatsoever. There still isn't as much traffic on the roads as there was pre-C19, but I imagine Carmageddon will restart any time now.

Perhaps the powers that be will start taking their responsibilities more seriously when/if the second wave hits us, probably around the time of the usual winter flu season. Should be fun.

Cycling back from Manchester earlier today I had an "old boy" decide that overtaking me on double white lines with on-coming traffic was perfectly sensible to do.

Car drivers really are a law unto themselves, yet bitch and moan about everyone else relentlessly.

Does my head in :D

·
Registered
477 Posts
Having Googled the acronym, cyclists are supposed to stay on the proper side of the road.
So are all vehicles, so I'm not quite sure what point you're making. If you're saying that cyclists should stay to the left side of the lane that they're in, that's a very popular misconception. They are entitled to be anywhere in the lane that they think is safe, and it is up to other road users to do the same.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
As someone who runs on roads a lot due to not having pavements, it is absolutely the drivers responsibility to move, I run defensively at oncoming traffic
I guess we have to drive a tad slower and with more care and attention. Those cyclists on the motorways are a damn nuisance though😜

1 - 20 of 90 Posts