Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
[QUOTE="AndyG, post: 2832232, someone is going to get hurt one day and I am certain no matter who’s at fault it won’t be the person in the car/truck or tractor
[/QUOTE]

Hopefully that's not an agressive bullyboy anticyclist threat. It could be misinterpreted as such quite easily.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Not sure why a prosecution for excessive speed would come into play regardless of the form of transport?
You are supposed to drive (ride) at a speed such that you can stop in the distance you can see to be clear.
I'm not sure if that's enshrined anywhere like the Highest Code or law, but in the event of an accident it would certainly not be in your favour when you run into a stationary object.

And what people seldom realise is that on a narrow road, where there isn't space to pass, you should use half the visible distance.

·
Registered
213 Posts
You are supposed to drive (ride) at a speed such that you can stop in the distance you can see to be clear.
I'm not sure if that's enshrined anywhere like the Highest Code or law, but in the event of an accident it would certainly not be in your favour when you run into a stationary object.

And what people seldom realise is that on a narrow road, where there isn't space to pass, you should use half the visible distance.
You also don't expect to find a cow in the middle of the road either.
The problem was, it wasn't stationary, it moved in exactly the same direction as I was taking in trying to avoid it
On a pushbike I can hear enough to know if there is approaching traffic over the crest of the hill, but a silent being offered little chance.
Not that it matters in the big scheme of things.
I posted it up thinking it might lighten the mood, but......

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Large animals such as cows and horses don't mix well with cars - the bonnet only hits the legs and the body rolls over the bonnet before hitting the windscreen. In places such as the New Forest where the livestock is unfenced you have to be very careful at night as it is often fatal for both parties. The picture below from Puerto Rico shows the small damage to the front of the car, but the horse went in through the windscreen - in this case both the horse and driver survived.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
On a narrow country road where there is not enough room for a vehicle coming the other way to pass you, you need to be able to stop in half the distance you can see to be clear, as if a vehicle comes round a corner towards you, you will both need to stop in the section of road you previously could see to be clear.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Which might be what we all aspire to, but I'm sure that truthfully most of us go faster than that occasionally.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Except I hadn't quite worked out why before. :) I don't go around calculating stopping distances in my head - I drive at a speed I instinctively know to be safe for the conditions.
No criticism intended or implied...however, I find that the speed I instinctively know to be safe is considerably higher on roads that I know well. I am also old enough to have discovered that others don't seem to respect my instinctive logic and are frequently found to be in the way around bends, over rises and so on. I'm (hopefully) nearly at the age where I can relate the two facts and do something sensible about it...

·
Super Moderator
6,275 Posts
[QUOTE="AndyG, post: 2832232, someone is going to get hurt one day and I am certain no matter who’s at fault it won’t be the person in the car/truck or tractor
Hopefully that's not an agressive bullyboy anticyclist threat. It could be misinterpreted as such quite easily.
[/QUOTE]

How the hell would you read my concerns that someone would get hurt as a threat?

81 - 90 of 90 Posts