Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My side window was smashed this morning preheat was on. Has this happened to anyone else. Not covered under warranty.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Saw this on another post couple of days ago passenger side though.. not sure if his had been smashed or had gone like that one.. on Facebook group Kia eNiro Uk interest group

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
918 Posts
Very sorry to see this. That’s certainly quite worrying. Even if it was set to a high temperature and pointing to the glass, that shouldn’t happen surely. Is there some stress or weakness in the glass design I wonder? Historically I’ve always used warm or even quite hot water to quickly deice car windows, right across my 50 driving years. Never seen this happen until now.

I understand that glass isn’t covered under warranty typically. However, if this has happened spontaneously, just by using the cars built in heater/defrost facility (exactly what it is intended for!) then surely that counts as a manufacturing or design defect? I would be pushing hard for a warranty repair. This should not have happened. IMO you did nothing wrong here. Good luck in getting it sorted.
Peter

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very sorry to see this. That’s certainly quite worrying. Even if it was set to a high temperature and pointing to the glass, that shouldn’t happen surely. Is there some stress or weakness in the glass design I wonder? Historically I’ve always used warm or even quite hot water to quickly deice car windows, right across my 50 driving years. Never seen this happen until now.

I understand that glass isn’t covered under warranty typically. However, if this has happened spontaneously, just by using the cars built in heater/defrost facility (exactly what it is intended for!) then surely that counts as a manufacturing or design defect? I would be pushing hard for a warranty repair. This should not have happened. IMO you did nothing wrong here. Good luck in getting it sorted.
Peter
Told them this is not an isolated incident they are not having it. Quoted £326.32 to repair. Going through insurance £140.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Saw this on another post couple of days ago passenger side though.. not sure if his had been smashed or had gone like that one.. on Facebook group Kia eNiro Uk interest group

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I saw that yesterday ironically.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Told them this is not an isolated incident they are not having it. Quoted £326.32 to repair. Going through insurance £140.
Have a go at Kia UK? This should not have happened. I can understand applying the windows aren’t covered T&C rule when it’s caused by a stone impact or some other physical abuse cause, and that’s fair enough. However, just a normal frosty morning and with normal heater usage the car should be designed to cope with that. Whatever happened to customer goodwill? I am beginning to think that the much publicised Kia 7 year warranty isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. This should be a warranty repair. Had it been Toyota, they would not have quibbled I’m quite sure (there again it probably wouldn’t have happened then either)
Peter

·
Registered
94 Posts
I would if hoped this would have been covered by warranty, but looking at the small print it states that

Cracks in the exterior glass - are covered for the first 1000 miles or three months

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,536 Posts
Guys, sorry to rain on your parade, but a glass window should not crack due to temperature like that. It is simply not possible or there will not be a glass left standing after the winter we are having.

And on the image in the first post, there is a clear impact point near the top left of the window.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,913 Posts
I'd think some independent inspection is required with this. If it is post impact damage then that's one thing but if it's just cracked due to heater use on a cold day then it's clearly defective.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Agreed, doesn't make sense to me how the temperature differential there could cause that. I would expect that if it was inherently weak then it would more likely shatter shutting the door than at 20-25C temp differential.

And that's not to disrespect the OP either, it may well be a big old window fault, but how are you going to prove to Kia that it wasn't weakened by a previous impact? Rightly or wrongly that will be the avenue they take you down.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think the fact this car was preheating isn't relevant. @Todor is correct, impact damage and presented with this evidence, no car maker is going to consider a claim. Sorry. If these windows really were this useless, they would have been popping during the summer.

·
Registered
918 Posts
It could just be that the so called 'point of impact' was a manufactured in point of stress. The temperature change extreme just brought out the weakness. It could be that some but not all have this manufacturing defect. A manufacturing process quality control issue? We have 2 reports so far, there may be more over time?

One thing is clear, I now won’t be doing my old warm/hot water deice method on this car anytime soon!
Heck, I’ll even be wary using the heater when it’s super cold out.

Peter

1 - 20 of 30 Posts