Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone familiar with these chargers, a pair of 22kw type 2 posts?

I'm visiting Sheffield to help my daughter move flats on Wednesday to Thursday 3rd-4th July and noticed that these chargers are very close to the area I will be staying. Having an Ampera it would be good to be able to use all my EV range on the trip up from Cheltenham, then charge in the evening, for another 40+ miles EV range for the trip back, before the engine kicks in.

Normally I just charge at home. As the Ampera has a slow charge rate it's not worth bothering usually, but this is one occasion I would have time to fully recharge, thereby helping maintain my 200+ 'lifetime' MPG!

Does anyone know if these chargers are likely to be available in the evening? I'd not want to block either if it's likely BEVs want to charge and would move my car when charged.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hiya, Barty, hope you have a good trip. I've used this charger a couple of times. Just reminded myself via zapmap that it's limited to two hours charging but at 22 kWh that should be enough for you. Charging is completely free, just plug in, and from 4pm-8am parking is free, too.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks @Greenbyname... If restricted to 2 hours after 4pm then I'll only get half a charge. The Ampera only charges at about 3.8Kw at best, being designed about 10 years ago I think it was mainly meant to be charged at home, public charging hardly existed then. Maybe I'll stick it in Mountain Mode driving there (keeps about 1/3 of the battery in reserve) and then see if I can top up when there, so I can start back with a near full charge.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Hi, I live a few mins walk from Parkers Lane and it is my local charging point (terraced house, no parking!).

You should be fine but sometimes a woman leaves her Leaf on all night (I've had a word..) and the PHEVs also tend to hog on occasions in the evening. This is one of the busiest chargers in Sheffield - roll on those new Instavolts. I've sometimes left mine for 3 hrs absolute max, but always at obscure times of day, and move it as soon as it is done.

We have a number of LEVC taxis here, and the drivers tend to use it late at night, too.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks @ebyard, I'd charge at my eldest daughter's house which is nearby, but it's also a terrace with no parking. Maybe I'll just run the battery down 50% then try to grab a couple of hours at Parkers Lane early evening. Being an Ampera it's hardly essential, I'd just like to try out public charging and help keep my lifetime MPG up!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts