Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Shell Chargers - To App or Not To App ?

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  dm57 
#1 ·
Will be moving PHEV to BEV and so am now looking more closely at which rapids are around me / usual routes.

I see Shell ones tend to be usable by normal contactless vids/mastercard debit cards ?

But that in some cases people have put in zap map or plug share that it was cheaper with the app.
Do you have to sign up, add payment details etc to the Shell App and that tries to connect to the charger unit in the same way as say the Pod-Point one / 5million other ways ?
I had a quick look at a shell website, and it seems to suggest "yet another RFID card tied to just their network"

Is it worth it+reliable or just like every other scheme where you end up trying to talk to a call centre as the damm thing won't connect ?

#2 ·
So I have a Shell recharge just around the corner from me. Have used it a couple of times. Seemed stable enough but it is brand new.
There is no membership fee and the RFID is free. You just save money by using the app or RFID over bank card contactless. You just enter all your card details in the app and activate the card.
I presume they are passing the card fee savings on to the customer which is nice for once

#3 ·
Will be moving PHEV to BEV and so am now looking more closely at which rapids are around me / usual routes.

I see Shell ones tend to be usable by normal contactless vids/mastercard debit cards ?

But that in some cases people have put in zap map or plug share that it was cheaper with the app.
Do you have to sign up, add payment details etc to the Shell App and that tries to connect to the charger unit in the same way as say the Pod-Point one / 5million other ways ?
I had a quick look at a shell website, and it seems to suggest "yet another RFID card tied to just their network"

Is it worth it+reliable or just like every other scheme where you end up trying to talk to a call centre as the damm thing won't connect ?
I have the shell recharge app... highly recommend ordering their free RFID card. I just rock up to the station, badge onto it, then at the end of the month they post-bill me by direct debit/card and send me a breakdown of all my charging by country.

Reactions: ElectricIan
#4 ·
Oh and I guess it's worth mentioning... with the card/app... it's 30p/kWh vs 39p... so that's a decent savings over time. Also the card is free and you get a VAT invoice at the end of the month, which could be useful for expenses. Just saying. :)

#8 ·
Connection fees and stupid pricing to boot... Makes you wonder how much business they get.
I get the feeling as more come out, lidl will clear up the market and regret not installing 2 chargers per site so they could make more from rapid charging and getting people into their shops...

#9 ·
Connection fees and stupid pricing to boot... Makes you wonder how much business they get.
Compared to EH at 39p/kWh, the out-of-London £1 Rapid connection fee balances out at anything over 10kWh. Charging point providers have to recover their costs and overheads, so I am happy to pay their prices as by the time I get to use them I have already benefited from a battery full of electrons acquired at home at off-peak rates.

#13 ·
Checking back to my last EH charge (end of November), I see that it worked out at 30p/kWh. I had just assumed that the website increase had come into effect. [My last attempt at using an EH Rapid was a failure, and I had to go down the road to the nearby GenePoint Rapids to get home.]

#14 ·
How do you get the Shell Recharge App to activate? I downloaded it to my phone, registered and it sends an activation email. But when you click on the "Confirm Email" it goes to the New Motion website asking you to open the link on your mobile phone, but there is no link!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.