Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that the NewMotion app has now updated to Shell. However, I’ve also noticed that the Instavolt chargers appear on it and all the ones near to me are showing as ‘Free’ in the tariff section and have an option to start the charge from the app. I don’t have a DC charging EV, so wondered if anyone has tried this and does it really work for free?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,537 Posts
Email I received yesterday:

ChargePoint Services, which runs the GeniePoint Network, has recently become part of ENGIE, a global energy and services provider leading the transition towards zero-carbon transport. To complete the transition, we are changing our name to ENGIE EV Solutions Limited from 7th November 2019.

Updating my post, Instavolt use ENGIE EV Solutions Limited. ENGIE EV have a roaming agreement with NewMotion.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The roaming deal looks clear. Its the price I'm querying really. If one tried to use the Instavolt with a bank card, it'd cost 39p/kWh. This app implies its free..

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD
178 Posts
So I’ve been using it with the shell app - and nothing shows up in billing. I’ve had a new motion card for a good while. I’ve also taken screenshots with the dates /times to show tariff free.

I’ll question this if/when I get charged.

I did use instalvolt a fair bit anyway just with contactless debit card - so would’ve paid anyhow - but I will question if I get billed.

I can’t see that there’s a great deal they can do if I have screenshots.

Alan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
The Instavolt charger I used yesterday (with credit card) is in the Shell but it does clearly as 35p, same as the CC rate.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I believe the problem with NewMotion is that they may have outdated info sometimes and you may be billed potentially with a different rate.
It happened to me once in Germany (Hannover): I used the charger that had flat rate: ~9E per session advertised on NewMotion app. Charged to 93% and got billed two months later about 40E (0.69E/kwh). Then I checked the app and indeed it shows 0.69 now.
I haven't taken a screenshot while charging so hard to prove now.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I've not used Shell Recharge yet, but I downloaded the app and applied for the free card which arrived the other day. I have assigned a debit card to the Shell Recharge (NewMotion) card. Just for clarification, do I use this card like any other contactless system by touching to the marked area on the pump without needing to use the app?

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD
178 Posts
Yeah - or the instavolt ones you can start charge using the selected card from the shell app...

I noticed when I touched my phone for debit card payments on instavolt, the last few times instead of using my debit card it auto selected new motion card...

No difference in charge rates - I’ve been using the shell app though because of the current apparent free rates....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,537 Posts
I use this card like any other contactless system by touching to the marked area on the pump without needing to use the app?
It should work on Shell pumps and also any others that are part of the NewMotion roaming agreement.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Looking around, I see that NewMotion and ChargePoint have signed a roaming agreement. However I cant see where ChargePoint have any charging stations. Apparently not in UK or France.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Are ChargePoint and Charge Point Services the same thing? I thought Charge Point Services were behind GeniePoint and a different outfit altogether. (It's all sooo confusing! :))

1 - 20 of 37 Posts