Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just seen this in my twitter feed, looks like they are doing major cities first, 30 + chargers being rolled out across the UK. Seems like they've been busy introducing contactless and planning for more chargers!
Shell boost for electric car owners
Good to see the price staying the same though, 0.25p per kWh is good to me!

·
Registered
16,794 Posts
Yes, 25p isn’t that far off what Tesla are charging for Supercharging. I hope they stick with it and count on EV owners buying a coffee and a twix! :)

·
Premium Member
11,053 Posts
Reactions: John2

·
Registered
159 Posts
I notice that a site in Reading, on the Basingstoke Road has now shown up for Shell Recharge.
That's within a few minutes drive of the CYC rapid chargers in the Park and Ride, a Polar at the Holiday Inn, and the Ecotricity at motorway services. There's now quite a choice of rapid chargers in the south of Reading.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,659 Posts
I notice that a site in Reading, on the Basingstoke Road has now shown up for Shell Recharge.
That's within a few minutes drive of the CYC rapid chargers in the Park and Ride, a Polar at the Holiday Inn, and the Ecotricity at motorway services. There's now quite a choice of rapid chargers in the south of Reading.
Don't forget the ones at IKEA, used the CCS on Sunday cost me £2.14 and got £6 off my shopping in IKEA, basically a free tin of biscuits.

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
Click 'More Filters' and select 'Shell Recharge' for the 'Fuel Types' category. This will of course only show current locations, not planned ones.
Thanks - didn't seem to be there when I tried it earlier. That one on the A50 west of Derby is very useful - had been a bit of a problematic route until now.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,487 Posts
Just a shame about the misleading claims:And our future 150kW super-chargers (coming soon to selected service stations), will get you 80% charged in just 10 minutes.
I presume there is a footnote that completely negates the point of that statement which says something like "Only applies to EVs that can charge to 80% in 10 minutes on a 150kW charger." :LOL:

I suppose this is good news, and 30 is a bigger number than zero, but it still isn't a very big number across the whole country. Hopefully it shows the trend rather than the end-point! For a real meaningful roll-out of EVs we need sheer quantities of chargers. If the Gov gets its vision we'll need 30 chargers per site let alone per country! Not sure this reality has yet dawned on folks.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Don't forget the ones at IKEA,
There are also two Genie rapids just off the IDR near the council offices.

Quite a choice, but all pretty useless unless you are prepared to pay a subscription or spend time faffing around with an app, and that is before considering traffic delays. The IKEA car park has had several reports of cars being stuck in there for hours trying to get out, and Reading traffic is bit of a nightmare most of the time. That said, the Mereoak P&R tends to avoid the traffic problems, being just South of the town and M4 J11 junction.

To be fair, the Shell Recharge rapid can be operated by using the free NewMotion RFID tag/card. There is a 35p transaction fee, but well worth it for the least hassle IMHO. It's a little bit of a detour North off the M4 J11, but still worth it.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
And the out-of-the-way supercharger, and that very peculiar ecotricity 22kW post in a layby.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Suddenly oil companies seem keen to get involved with the EV revolution, a little surprised it took them so long.
Well, Shell has told their shareholders for years that they want to expand into "other" ways to provide energy to customers than plain old petrol or diesel. The others (hello BP?) not so much.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts