Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some of you may know that I was fortunate to buy @toscal353 2015 Leaf Tekna with just 5700 miles and not even 12 months old. It was a bit risky buying sight unseen and it was a risk for Graham to accept a bank transfer from "Malta" which, before it became part of the EU, had a reputation of being a bit dodgy :)

Fortunately neither of us need to have worried in the end - the deal turned out to be a win:win and after a nail biting weekend waiting for the car transporter to arrive after it's 4 day journey across Europe, I got to pick her up this morning.

There wasn't a mark on her and both Graham and his good lady have obviously babied the car since they had her (ex Demonstrator). I have found a way however to increase the range dramatically - I washed off 15kg of cow dung and Norfolk mud from underneath :) - she won't miss driving through the rain, snow and muddy Norfolk roads. She was basking in 17C sunshine when I picked her up.

The drive home was uneventful after the stop at the car wash except that most Maltese drivers have never seen one and were rather benused by the overtaking ability at low speed. In Malta, it's rare to be able to exceed 50mph anywhere and so most of the tootling around is at 25-30mph where the Lead excels at it's ability to overtake. Even so, I managed to build a tree on the way home :)

Watch out for more photos of Sonic Blue across the Maltese Islands over the next few days and weeks :)

At the moment she is getting a drink of the go juice on the EVSE - I have a 16A chargepoint on the way as we don't have enough electricity to feed the 6.6kw charger in the house (all homes are limited to 60amp max and this one is rented anyway) but we have a network of 100 7kw chargers around the island if they are needed.

All I need to do now is get ConnectEV working - I have logged in from the laptop and car but they aren't talking to each other yet - may have a chat with Nissan later.

It's a happy day :)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm glad you said 'build' - I said it on FB last night and nobody will let it drop; apparently you don't build trees! :-(
We do :) Part of the fun of driving a Leaf.
I was thinking of getting some stickers that could be applied on the drivers door - like they used to do on fighter aircraft. One for every tree that we built ;)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can see that reg plate getting 'doctored' (T) by a drunk tourist:whistle:.
Hahahaha - it's OK, it will be registered as a Maltese car shortly and get a new plate. We get a choice of 3 letters and 3 numbers - just need to decide if I can make something interesting from that (that's available) or just stick with a cheaper random set.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Well done on being a pioneer. Shame TWA went out of business...they might have bought the plate.

·
Play by the king and love is all I bring
1,742 Posts
Contgrats on your purchase. Are there many Leaves in Malta? You won't have a problem with servicing, no?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are there many Leaves in Malta? You won't have a problem with servicing, no?
Not many - we have a taxi firm that has a few and the Nissan dealer says he has sold a lot recently and has a demonstrator. They have a trained tech at the dealership (we only have one) but battery replacement (if ever required) has to have the car sent to Rome.
I'm waiting to hear back from Nissan regarding the roadside care and warranty as Malta is not listed - but I suspect that was done prior to us having a Nissan dealer here.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I washed off 15kg of cow dung and Norfolk mud from underneath
Wish we had put it in the glove box instead of the bacon sandwich!! :D

we have a network of 100 7kw chargers around the island
Whaaaat? A third world island 12 miles by 10 miles and you have more charges than the whole of East Anglia?? Perhaps its the UK that is third world! :( (On reflection..... i am sure we are)

I was thinking of getting some stickers that could be applied on the drivers door
You wont need them, the doors will soon be full of dents from loony Maltese drivers! :ROFLMAO:

I see you have a Nissan Dealer in Malta - first service 38Euros labour, second service 76Euros labour :sick:
Dont let them polish it - just get them to apply factor 30! Poor thing, i bet it is pining for rain already.....

Seriously, we are sure you will love the Leaf. Enjoy the "traffic light GP" Try not to burn your legs on the black leather seats when its been standing in the sun all day :ROFLMAO:. It will be interesting to see if the much warmer average temperature gives you better performance, i am sure it will.

Enjoy!!

·
1,742 Posts
The smallest book in the world, I'm told, that's the Maltese highway code.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LOL - we actually use the UK Highway Code, it's just that no-one bothers to read it and we have almost no enforcement - the local police don't want anything to do with traffic and we have about half a dozen motorcycle traffic police for the whole island. Fortunately the poor roads and potholes keeps the speeds down so it's very rare to hear of a car fatality. Unfortunately motorbikes, cyclists and pedestrians don't fare so well.

·
1,742 Posts
I took a taxi, had a terrible fright. He drove on the left and he drove on the right. I asked the driver, can this be true, does everyone in Malta drive like you? He turned around and said we've got it made, in Malta everybody drives in the shade.

Sorry, reliving my younger days and the Maltese Calypso.

I'll stop now. Enjoy your car!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well she's now fully legal - all the import taxes and registration paid and a fresh new set of Maltese number plates. Here she is sitting in Floriana at the entrance to the capital city of Valletta.

After a couple of journeys back and forth into Valletta, I'm thinking that the Leaf is well suited to island life. I need to get the calculator out but 15.9Kwh/100km seems pretty good and 96km range on 67% charge makes me think I'm at about 90 miles range on a charge. That's 'normal' driving (and I do tend to be enjoying the take off from traffic lights and junctions a little too much).

·
1,742 Posts
Looking good. Can I ask you though, what import taxes were due? That should have been abolished when Malta joined the EU.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looking good. Can I ask you though, what import taxes were due? That should have been abolished when Malta joined the EU.
Hahaha, yes you would think so. I don't know the full 'ins and outs' but it has been a contentious issue for a long time and I am sure there is some loophole that allows it to continue. Basically it protects the Maltese car dealers and keeps second hand car prices higher. A £1500 UK car sells for around €4000 here.

The tax system was introduced to encourage us to purchase/import more environmentally-friendly cars so the calculations involve the registered value (RV), car length, carbon dioxide emission volumes and particulate matter volumes (diesel only). You can bring your own car that you have had for 2+ years in at no cost but cannot sell it without paying the taxes.

The Leaf of course was a good deal - it was half the tax of a same spec/year diesel Qashqai (€2000 v €4000) and I also get a grant from the government for importing an EV of €4000 which more than covered all the taxes and cost of importing. Given that a new Tekna would cost me €29,000 after grants, I got a 1 year old one with 9000km, on the road for just under €16,000.

PS If you try and import a 2008 Range Rover Supercharged Sport then it will cost you over €32,000 in taxes. We don't see many of them here!

·
Registered
550 Posts
I need to get the calculator out but 15.9Kwh/100km…
On that note, I tried to reverse calculate my Miles/kWh into kWh/100Km. Can someone knowledgeable check the maths?
Miles/kWh = 4.2 (for example)
Km/kWh = 6.7592 (x 1.609334)
kWh/Km = 0.1479 (1 ÷ above result)
kWh/100Km = 14.79 (above x 100)

And what would be the calculation to go the other way?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts